Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:03:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Prabbits: Happy Dogfights [Local/Online Multiplayer, 2D Air Combat]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Prabbits: Happy Dogfights [Local/Online Multiplayer, 2D Air Combat]  (Read 1614 times)
Nodragem
Level 0

Trying to make fun games!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2019, 09:32:58 AM »

I wish I started this topic earlier; it's been already a year that I worked on this game part-time (Thuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays); mixed with contracted work it was hard to develop and maintain a devlog. But well, here is the first post  Beer! yeah!

I am developing a multiplayer 2D air combat game to play with local or remote friends (inspired by a night where I played Combat on Atari ^^).

I like couch-game such as TowerFall Ascension and I would like my games to provide friends with a regular dose of fun Smiley

In terms of where I am currently in the development, I've made a vertical slice of the game:
- 1 game mode is available (more to come; I am hoping to discuss them here in fact)
- 4 levels (3 unlocked by default) available (I hope making 8 levels by game modes)
- No single player
- Local multiplayer is working (up to 2 players on one keyboard; up to 4 players with gamepads)
- Online multiplayer is still experimental (you might experience some bugs; note that you can have several players per machines)

Related Links

A full update of what I have changed since August is available here:
https://nodragem.github.io/Blog/post/gamedev/notes_happy-dogfight_020/

The playable version is available as a Free Early Access here:
https://gamejolt.com/games/prabbits-dogfights/433068

NOTE: I will start a playtest thread, so you can feedback there.

So, I guess that's all for now Smiley Let me know if you are interested in this project or have questions.
I will start posting dev updates soon (or later, depending on my contracted work  Tired ).

See you around!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 09:38:19 AM by Nodragem » Logged

Nodragem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 08:18:55 AM »

The first post of my devblogs (on How I am building the AI on my game) can be found on my website here:
https://nodragem.github.io/Blog/post/gamedev/ia_blogpost1/

Here are some highlights:

"A brain, or an AI, is essentially an entity that transforms sensory information (i.e. inputs) into motor commands (i.e. outputs). To be intelligent, its sensory to motor transformation should be optimising relevant needs or goals (e.g. surviving, reproducing, etc)."

"In our game, we (as a brain designer) can confer the prab-bots multiple sensory inputs and multiple motor commands."

I know that I am far from the behaviour tree approach, but well, I was trying to have a fresh perspective on AI Smiley

What reads (article, book, even youtube video) do you recommend to learn about game AI?

Nodragem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 01:58:26 AM »

I am working on the rig of the prabbits to add more expressive poses for the main screen Smiley

I am going to add a mouth opening and a tong now.

For now, it is all in Blender, but I am wondering how to translate than into Unity...

Nodragem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 10:53:20 AM »

Here we are the prabbit starts to be a bit more expressive Smiley

Nodragem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 05:24:00 AM »

I integrated the new prabbits to my logo Smiley

Next step is to create the main title screen of Happy Dogfights!

Nodragem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 10:06:22 AM »

Which logo title do you prefer?
(NOTE, I am going to get rid of the noise in the clouds asap Smiley )

Nodragem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 06:38:03 AM »

I am releasing my first couchplay session of The Prabbits: Happy Dogfight.
I am so excited, it was fun to make, hope it is fun to watch!

Now back to development Smiley

Nodragem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 03:12:24 AM »

Hello! :D

I am working on the AI of my planes. It looks like that the steering behaviour framework would fit part of my problem, however, my plane have the constraint that they can only rotate upwards or downwards with constant angular speed, furthermore they have a constant forward speed. In other words they can't do instantaneous flip-turns, they can't slow down or stop: they can only do one specific U-turn.

I am trying to find some articles where the steering behaviour takes these constraints into account: bird flight, flight simulation games, etc...

I guess I could compute the desired velocity as in the steering behaviour framework and if the desired velocity is point up I start a upward rotation...

Any idea? or reference you know of?

Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic