Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:02:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAmira: A middle eastern fantasy about fighting for your freedom
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Amira: A middle eastern fantasy about fighting for your freedom  (Read 1568 times)
Jondob
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2019, 07:53:09 AM »

Their Honor
Amira

Game Pitch:
A story driven Adventure-3D Platformer game telling the life of a young happy girl who never realized she was a slave until she went deviated from masters intentions for the first time through seeking nothing but love.

Platform
Android/IOS
PC/Desktop + Consoles

Development Stage:30% Complete, design vision is clear, core controls are completed, Localization and menus are completed, time to start making the experience.

Main Character: Amira
a happy,satisfied girl who decides to action and help her family family, as they're simply poor in the purest form of the word, she doesn't like how sometimes it is frowned upon how she acts much, and forces her way through in a field she isn't supposed to be in, but, she decides to do her best for her family.

Story Key Points:
  • the girl does her best helping her family.
  • explore a bit of the traditions surrounding her, realizing she is in the age of marriage, and how it is not her intention right now.
  • show how her helping is actually fround upon among her family, but is allowed due to her deformity, which she miss understood as their acceptance.
  • she finds her love in which she exposes her deformity.
  • she is caught and a rough battle starts, from everyone surrounding her, wanting to take her down, which ends in her death, and the realization that, her actions were not out of her free will, but their allowance, her family, her community her world, realizing she was never free.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:33:38 AM by Jondob » Logged

if you do not give up, then you can not lose.
Jondob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 08:33:24 AM »

Amira's Room

This week, i have designed, Amira's room, really happy about the results.

The Approach:

for designing the environments i usually use grided paper, and sketch out my level, but for this one i decided to use a different approach than my usual, which is using the camera view to design the levels instead of a grid and a paper, it was a nice approach, that yielded some results that i am quite proud of, it that worked pretty well for me, obviously, it has some downsides, and upsides.

Progression:

progression was basically, for quite the first time, it was actually, pretty straight forward.

the camera is just, still in one place, which is the view that i chose, and then i simply keep adding prefabs slowly.

obviously, before i started making the room, i had a sort of small vision, that got formed over few iterations, and you can clearly see the progression in the images, i simply, placed the main layout, walls and floors first, then tested with camera view, then it was all about propping it up.

The Up Sides:

It was far more straight forward, not everything have to be placed perfectly in like common sense, things can be placed unrealistically as long as they look realistic on the camera.
it consumed less time, than doing it on paper.
i was far closer to the game, play testing movement and whatnot, and making changes as i go.
i managed to get the right scope and size of the level on the second try, as things were far more close to the engine than before.

The Down Sides:

Cameras were forced to be static or at least only look at the player, because if cameras move to the wrong spot, the horror of the placements will show up, but static cameras, suit well with my game so that was no problem.
its quite the different mindset, from the more static, rigid, and precise grid layout levels, in this case, the level, was placed, perfectly on grid (atleast the main layout), but the props, were definitely, not placed on grid, and in other levels, i am not even on a grid at all, so it is different mindset to the snappy, grid type of levels, but once we get used to it, it really becomes simply smooth sailing.

Conclusion:

do i see myself, as well, ignoring the grided paper level design process entirely?

no most likely, not, but, sure it took me time to learn (and discover) this new method, i even had to reorganize my entire prefabs folder structures for it, but after one understands it, and has a sense of how things flow, it becomes a very powerful tool in the tool box.

what i am working on now, it is basically, a level, that mixes the two approaches, the grid, and the static (constrained) camera.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 09:28:43 PM by Jondob » Logged

Jondob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 08:09:23 AM »

Main Menu BackGround
this week, i have decided to actually do level designs, but i was in the middle of preparing my play store page, so, i took the path in the middle and forgot about everything and just decided, to make my mainmenu background as 3D.
so, i did some partial level design, and created a scene that looks cool and turned it into my main menu.

The Approach
i kind of used the same exact approach previously, i simply searched for a good camera view, and i started designing, making it pretty, adding props and effects as i saw fit, as i saw fit through the camera.
i am still getting used to this approach, but really liking this approach so far.

hope you guys like it.

Conclusion:
really happy about this style, and about how the designing of this level went.

Jondob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 06:07:45 AM »

Main Menu

main menu is finally done, UI, BG, music, SFX, and most importantly arabic support i must say it turned out better than i expected, next step is having fun with gameplay and level design (pretty excited :D)
i honestly, really dislike UI work, and publishing the game so i have been working hard on preparing the UI, and the shop pages, also, really glad, i got that nightmare of supporting arabic done through multiple languages is just tough.
can't wait to get back to the fun stuff, and make some cool gameplay moments Smiley

Jondob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 08:20:23 AM »

First Game Play Shot

did my best the past week, to do a lot of back end invisible programming (mainly App Stores Integration for ads and in app purchases), and did some hard work to actually show even a fraction of the gameplay, and funnily enough, even after all of that work i have done, the player still "can't actually shoot"
so i worked hard to get player hitting, dealing damage, and finally, shooting bullets in a bullet hell like manner but in 3D, 3D was just a full blown extra step in complexity, but for the most part it is stable and working.
i hope you like the small piece of gameplay i managed to pop out this week.

Jondob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 11:36:48 PM »

More In Game Footage
this was a super tough week, i struggled pretty hard to beat my procrastinating self,and do some work,and barely made it in time for the weekly devlog for this week i managed to.

1.stabilize interaction system and integrate it into the game
2.3D Movement in better form
3.updated the structure for localization system, arabic support for audio and text
as story will be told through voice rather than text
4. used Amira's broken down room as the tutorial (what do you think her house will look like?)

Jondob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 12:20:38 AM »

Mixed Week

this week was a mix of level design,programming, and combining old systems with new.
i made the interaction system more versatile, fixed bugs with older systems, and lastly, designed the second level, that introduces, jumping, and puzzle mechanics.

this segment of the game,representing the corridor separating amira's room from the house of her family.
hope you guys like it
and something that i haven't shared elsewhere, i made big progress with the game's website.

Jondob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 09:23:04 PM »

Their Honor, has been revived as Amira

so the project has gone through massive changes, and massive redesigns, in the last while, one of which, the project has been renamed as Amira instead of TheirHonor.

regardless of the name, here is a cool video devlog about whats coming next, my first ever video based devlog

Some of the changes that have came, are basically, massive three redesigns, until the game finally is now in a stable direction.

Right now the game has been redirected from mobile, to desktop and consoles as main target platforms, gameplay has been reinvented, with many more varieties added, and now hopefully it will be a straight line towards progress in the game, and hopefully this being being able to release it.
very excited to the progress that was made, and more of what is to come !

the three iterations of amira

Jondob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 02:39:13 AM »

How money and mobile almost killed amira, a middle eastern inspired story diven game i am developing, also many new visual updates shared throughout the development, what do you guys think, should i focused on market more, or stick to what i feel fits?
new devlog, sharing, why i transitioned my game from pc/console to mobile, and back to pc/console.
was a wild run, but i did my best, and i am quite happy with the result

Jondob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 05:09:42 AM »

how would wearing different clothes make your life different for a middle eastern woman, sometimes she feels liberated wearing light clothes, and sometimes she feels in peace wearing long clothes, how does this translate into gameplay? all of that and more in the new devlog of amira

a devlog on how i implement gameplay mechanics, for my main character based on the dress she is wearing, what are your thoughts on that guys and gals?

Jondob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 03:32:30 AM »

in this devlog i share how amira is in fact, strong, regardless of what she wears, many abilities and weapons discussed here, and how they are affected by the dress itself

I implement in here abilities and weapons, for my main character based on the dress she is wearing, what are your thoughts on that guys and gals?

Jondob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 08:06:00 PM »

Spending a year making the main character of my middle eastern inspired game, as a programmer with no modelling skills, and i share my process and what i did throughout the year, what do you think of the model and the process?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic