Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:56:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMega Man X style gameplay prototype
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mega Man X style gameplay prototype  (Read 789 times)
deeprest
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2019, 02:41:51 PM »

https://deeprest.itch.io/saga2020

All thoughts are appreciated, but I'm specifically looking for your opinion on the controls/feel using keyboard+mouse or gamepad.

Thank you
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 05:08:04 PM by deeprest » Logged
Strikewave
Level 0

This is me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 08:50:52 PM »

Looking really cool!!!!  Smiley  Feels a lot like my classic favorites! Very well done! If you don't mind me asking what engine did you build it on?

(also nice gif!)

Creator of the space combat game Planet Bounce
Colorize
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 08:19:29 AM »

Looking really cool!!!!  Smiley  Feels a lot like my classic favorites! Very well done! If you don't mind me asking what engine did you build it on?

(also nice gif!)

His project page links to GitLab. From a very brief look at the source code seems like it's using Unity.
deeprest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 01:29:54 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! I am indeed using Unity. I used it professionally for years, so it was a natural choice for me. It can be more complicated to do 'simple' things in 2d, but has a lot of nice features as add-ons or open-sourced: 2d lighting, runtime nav meshes, etc.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 05:34:24 PM by deeprest » Logged
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 08:54:47 AM »

Hello deeprest,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

deeprest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 05:44:23 PM »

You are very kind for making that feedback video, thank you!
In response to your video, I've implemented the MMX screen slide for boss chambers (but no bosses yet!).
There's no health or health bar because I want to try to something different than the typical life/death cycle.

I especially like your comment about how the ability to aim changes the core gameplay. It's the biggest design departure, and has the potential to significantly change how the game is played.  I'll take your advice and carefully consider how to handle that.

The windows build you played is slightly older than the current.
Changes include:
* new weapons and items: shield(buggy), sticky grenade, unfinished laser prototype.
* 2D lighting. This fixes normal-mapping artifacts, and allows for better control of lighting, but needs more tuning.
* player colors change with weapon

Regarding your laptop/mouse issue: key rebinding is possible in the pause menu, but navigating the menu is not obvious. You could rebind the 'Fire' action to the left shift key or something.  If you navigate to the right from the button at the top, you can select the actions for rebinding. Use the spacebar to enter bind mode.  The menu will be improved in a future update.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic