Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 08:01:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoMathocalypse [CANCELLED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mathocalypse [CANCELLED]  (Read 3845 times)
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:53:07 AM »

"No... they couldn't... it's impossible..."
x
----

In the future, the Mathematical Reality Drive has created the ability to manipulate reality itself as if it were a math equation. Even so, there is one operation which simply shuts the device down: "x / 0". But what would happen if someone created a supercharged device? What if someone modified the Mathematical Reality Drive and gave it enough power to represent an entire city in a variable? And what if while trying to solve for that variable, it divided by zero?

Would it begin... the MATHOCALYPSE?

Sidescrolling shmup involving math with a sci-fi storyline. Education to the max!

Progress:
  • Solidifying gameplay ideas.
  • Writing up a to-do list/design doc/whatever.
    • Gameplay design
    • Graphics designed
    • Sound style chosen
    • Music chosen
  • Gameplay prototype

June 28th:
Gameplay design being fleshed out. I shall paste in the basics once I have them fully written out. Update: They now are.

June 29th:
Worked on programming the engine. Running into issues with inter-class relations. (Programming is being done in C++). Shall likely continue on Wednesday as tomorrow's schedule is busy.

June 30th:
Worked some more on the engine. Inter-class relations figured out, but now there are inter-file problems. Things are getting redundant, methinks.

Also, I can't find a proper timer function in C++. The internet doesn't seem to be much helpful either, but I'll look again when I have a clearer head.

July 1st:
Figured out problem with files. Everything solved with just one good old header file. Gotta love those. Also finally got some code for a timer, so I'll be attempting to put together something playable.

July 7th:
Well technically the 8th but that's cause it's a late night. Anyways, screenshot of my progress on the engine!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 06:44:48 PM by Shade Jackrabbit » Logged

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Kamos
Level 0

Hey.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:34:36 AM »

Divides by zero are scary. Hand Shake Left Epileptic Hand Shake Right
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:58:43 AM »

Status Update:

The core gameplay is the interaction of numbers. Each part of the ship has a function, and a number. The number is either positive or negative, and yes, the parts can change with your shots. Your shots add/subtract numbers. Negative numbers and subtraction are there to enforce a zero for destruction.

Controls will be ASDW for directions, and the number keys fire different shots, each subtracting (or adding) the number shown. (i.e. 1 shoots (+/- 1), 2 shoots (+/- 2))

Ships are stored in 2-d arrays of integers, for easy mathematical manipulation. For example, the player's ship:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:10:37 PM by Shade Jackrabbit » Logged

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 02:26:19 PM »

I think it would be awesome if your ship was those numbers. Like the numbers were huge pixels.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »

I think it would be awesome if your ship was those numbers. Like the numbers were huge pixels.

Oh, yeah, that's the plan. It's just that certain parts have different effect. i.e. Blaster Cannon is a 3, wings are a 1. So you have to use the right number on the right ship part. (Fire a 3 at a Cannon to destroy it.)

Currently I'm thinking graphics will just be giant pixels with numbers on them, as you're saying. (I think.)

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 03:06:54 PM »

to clarify when I say huge pixels I mean more like the number on a transparent background. So like, a ship:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 03:10:24 PM by george » Logged
haroldoop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 03:35:37 PM »

Hey, I thought only Chuck Norris was able to divide by zero.  Well, hello there!
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 05:52:39 PM »

It's certainly a nice idea george, but the player is gonna have to destroy each block seperately, so it would really slow down the gameplay.

Hey, I thought only Chuck Norris was able to divide by zero.  Well, hello there!
SPOILER! Chuck Norris is the final boss.*

* Not really.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:53:24 PM »

This took too long, but at last I have the little bugger rendering.

In glorious ASCII!

Next up are movement keys and shooting.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 06:01:18 PM »

In all honesty, I am sick of this project. I don't like the theme, I think the idea is cool, but the game itself is not satisfying at all to develop. Sorry but I can't go on making this, as I really have no personal motivation to.

Here's the unfinished (as in, not working) source though, if anyone is interested (includes the design doc as well). Source is written in C++ using G++ and CodeBlocks, design doc is a to-do list using ToDoList.

Sorry guys. I'm out. I just can't do this type of game.  Concerned

Good luck to everyone else, though.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »

Forcing yourself to make something you don't like is never really good. Be sure to come back if you have a better inspiration. Beer!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic