Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 08:36:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDevader Web-Demo
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Devader Web-Demo  (Read 1846 times)
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 12:11:44 AM »

@michealplzno: Thank man Smiley
@-Ross: Appreciate the detailed feedback!
- menu music, will check that!
- starting menu: I'm aware it's weird, but I could not come up with a better solution. Thinking about it again, I guess difficulty should be selected in one row and then the start button at the bottom makes more sense. Will try that. I think I had it at one time, not sure why I changed it... hm
- start is overwhelming: I wanted you to get the feeling of dropping into a war zone. The attack is going on and you come in to save the day. The UFO is for consistency as it's what you see on the ship, then coming down from orbit in the intro, finally landing near the battle. I know standard ways of introducing stuff, I wanted to try something else. Maybe it does not work.
- tutorial: I felt like pointing at the sticks is good enough for the start. Thanks to the drones you won't die easily, so you have time to figure it out. You might suck a lot, while figuring it out and then you will also see the matrix getting smaller, so this would also be helpful information. Restarting at that point does not hurt either. that was the idea anyway. Adding a step by step tutorial would kind of take you out of the world I want to create. One option would be to add an additional tutorial space, where you I could do what you are suggesting. But introducing the turrets/nuke + other stuff would then also have to move to some other space. Not saying it's a bad idea.
- UI design. I did adjust to the art I got from my speed-painter. The black text was added later on and disappears when you turn off the tutorial. The "button" is actually the entire left/right side. It's weird I admit, but I have not seen anyone struggle to understand it. I think your suggestions are good, but I would not need to design the art around that structure. Unlikely at this time.
- bombs that drop: they do have a function. they kill all the remaining drones still stationed on the planet. you are on your own from then on. the start + bombs are also a kind of performance test. If it's not running smoothly... the rest of the game will be an issue
- performance: won't be better. it's based on webkit as is chrome, so performance will be pretty much the same. what system are you on, I'm guessing a laptop of some kind?
- art consistency: I think I am pretty consistent in this respect? If you see glaring issues, I would be interested to hear. I might be blind to them. Feedback on the art is interesting, some people really seem to like it, while it does not work for others. Changing the art completely would be a huge undertaking, so I would rather just improve patches.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic