Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:09:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDAGEM
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DAGEM  (Read 1067 times)
chriemmy
Level 0

developing ...

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2019, 02:20:13 AM »

Hi,

I'd like to here your opinion on da gem demo - be it graphics, effects, sounds, game design, controls or overall feeling - whatever you're interested in.

I wanted to create casual action game with unconventional controls, which would look good and would remind you of older games.

Have fun Smiley

Download it here:
dagem.site

« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 06:22:09 AM by chriemmy » Logged

deeprest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 10:16:00 PM »

I'm on MacOS.
To run this I need the Java Runtime (JRE 8+) from here: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html
To download the runtime I need to first create an Oracle account: https://profile.oracle.com/myprofile/account/create-account.
... which requires a Company Name, Job Title, and all my personal info.

Edit: oops. Avoid Oracle.com when downloading the Java runtime, I guess!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:43:19 PM by deeprest » Logged
av
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 02:29:16 AM »

Not able to launch it on Linux due to some reason:
Code:
> java --version
openjdk 14-ea 2020-03-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 14-ea+18-Ubuntu-1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14-ea+18-Ubuntu-1, mixed mode, sharing)

> java -jar ./dagem-0.4.jar
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-lookup.c: 111: check_match: Assertion `version->filename == NULL || ! _dl_name_match_p (version->filename, map)' failed!
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 03:15:59 AM »

I kinda like the graphics and audio. Animations are cool and the transformation in the end is great, too.
But... I just don't get the gameplay. I found out that typing the three letters is doing some attack, but moving the sword around did nothing for me. I tried to slap the monsters with it, but it never connected. ^^

Java can be downloaded here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 03:22:31 AM by RealScaniX » Logged

chriemmy
Level 0

developing ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 06:21:52 AM »

I actually don't have access to any Mac right now and I didn't test it on it :/. But linux should definitely work, I'll investigate it asap.

@RealScaniX Concerning the swordplay: you have to move your cursor very fast. No hit would be registered unless your sword has some speed. I tried to figure out the best way how to make players aware of that. I added the "swoosh" sounds when sword's speed is high, but I didn't have other ideas to really make a player feel the difference when you make a slow hit or a fast one. Maybe camera movement could improve it.
Have a look at this gif:

Btw, I like your game - Spaß Taxi. It looks great. The name really suits it. Smiley

A question: would you prefer to have a cursor or no cursor at all in the screen? Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 06:31:00 AM »

@RealScaniX Concerning the swordplay: you have to move your cursor very fast. No hit would be registered unless your sword has some speed. I tried to figure out the best way how to make players aware of that. I added the "swoosh" sounds when sword's speed is high, but I didn't have other ideas to really make a player feel the difference when you make a slow hit or a fast one. Maybe camera movement could improve it.
Have a look at this gif:

I noticed the sound and tried to move it very fast through the enemy, but wasn't able to hit them. I'm probably missing the right timing and should try again.
The time frame between "enemy reached the range of the sword" and "enemy reached you" seemed very small, so it's possible that I missed it.
For the minimum speed necessary for it to work, you could probably add some "wind lines" (can't think of a better word at the moment ^^) as a visual cue.

A question: would you prefer to have a cursor or no cursor at all in the screen? Smiley

As the sword is pointing at the cursor, it probably IS helpful. Probably you could even add visual cues (necessary attack speed reached) to it.
The question is always: Where does the player look while playing. He will probably focus on the player character to get the attack timing right, so the cursor would be irrelevant.
I'm unsure. I can only say that I added more and more visual cues in the game area to avoid having the player look down into the HUD. So in your case the right thing might be to have everything close to the player?

Btw, I like your game - Spaß Taxi. It looks great. The name really suits it. Smiley

Thank you!  Smiley

chriemmy
Level 0

developing ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 06:52:07 AM »

Thank you! I was expecting exactly this type of information. It's as if you knew exactly what I wanted to hear :D (You obviously do - you're a developer yourself). I'm just saying that it's not easy to give good feedback.

I can only say that I added more and more visual cues in the game area to avoid having the player look down into the HUD. So in your case the right thing might be to have everything close to the player?

Yes, I agree visual cues are important, but I think maybe if I removed the cursor and implemented sword blocking - (meaning: you wouldn't be able to hit the enemies unless your sword's speed is high enough), it could resolve the issue. Visual cue in this case would only be an effect when you hit the enemy with low speed.

I noticed the sound and tried to move it very fast through the enemy, but wasn't able to hit them. I'm probably missing the right timing and should try again.
The time frame between "enemy reached the range of the sword" and "enemy reached you" seemed very small, so it's possible that I missed it.

Yes, you're right. The time time range is small. The reason was exactly this - to make timing part of the challenge.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 06:58:00 AM by chriemmy » Logged

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 07:24:10 AM »

Yes, I agree visual cues are important, but I think maybe if I removed the cursor and implemented sword blocking - (meaning: you wouldn't be able to hit the enemies unless your sword's speed is high enough), it could resolve the issue. Visual cue in this case would only be an effect when you hit the enemy with low speed.

Ok, how about this: Lock the cursor in the middle and make it invisible. Horizontal movements move the sword left and right. If too slow, it will be blocked by the enemy, you hear a *clonk* sound and it will be moved a bit back (it would also be awesome if you could make the mouse vibrate ^^). If there is no enemy close by and you reach the kill speed, there is the swoosh sound and the wind visual cue.

chriemmy
Level 0

developing ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 07:25:57 AM »

Ok, how about this: Lock the cursor in the middle and make it invisible. Horizontal movements move the sword left and right. If too slow, it will be blocked by the enemy, you hear a *clonk* sound and it will be moved a bit back (it would also be awesome if you could make the mouse vibrate ^^). If there is no enemy close by and you reach the kill speed, there is the swoosh sound and the wind visual cue.

That sounds like a plan. Smiley

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 09:00:36 AM »

Hello chriemmy,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic