Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:08:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMap generation algorithm with the possibility of failure acceptable?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Map generation algorithm with the possibility of failure acceptable?  (Read 1331 times)
yxf
TIGBaby

== hello world ==

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2020, 01:08:00 AM »

If I can't design an algorithm that directly produces a map that meets my requirements, the alternatives to consider are:
1.Generate a map that is likely to meet the requirements
2.Evaluate the map, if it does not meet the requirements, then generate the map again.
The time it takes to generate a map can change dramatically due to this design, and it's not even possible to provide the player with a progress bar. Is this situation acceptable from a player's perspective?
I'm not quite sure if this is "technical" or "design". I think this is mainly related to the player's experience, so I classify it as "design". I'm sorry if I made a mistake. Sad
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 08:27:51 AM »

Hi yxf,

Is this in the context of procedural generation?

I don't like #2 because you risk creating an infinite loop (or very long load times)

Why can't you force the procedural generation code to include things you need in the map?  And force it meet the requirements in one go?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic