Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:38:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCreatures Of Energy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Creatures Of Energy  (Read 710 times)
wormius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2020, 07:51:20 AM »

Hey, I made a strategy game in unity and I would like feedback.
The main thing I am looking for is making it more clear for new players.
I know I am not there yet but if you try to play, please tell me how hard it is for you to understand.
What do you think you do understand about the game?

Game Link: https://wormius51.itch.io/creatures-of-energy
LeifTerry
Level 0

Interested.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 05:32:32 AM »

I played several times and I didn't figure it out.

I didn't know if the eyeballs were important or just for decoration. I guess they are important?

I tried the tutorial and playing against the AI, so I saw the kinds of moves that were possible, but I wasn't able to replicate them with any consistency.

Sometimes moves grow the creature but often that same move just moves the creature instead. 90% of my attempts to grow just moved my little "core" around the map.

And there is a duplication option, but that is only sometimes available and I don't know why.

When the creatures merge, there are red cores and blue cores but they look the same. How does the user know which one to try to eliminate?

I think there is some important rule that I just didn't get.
Nodragem
Level 0

Trying to make fun games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 07:06:49 AM »

Hello,

I tried your game, here is my feedback, hope it will help:

- to have made a HTML version is definitely a great idea, it is easier to test

- in the game, in the HTML version we don't see all the text in the left bottom textbox

- video tutorial is too long...

-  this is nice that there is a tutorial 'cause the game is complicated to catch :D

- in the tutorial, please pass to the next level automatically after we did the right thing, maybe with a congratulation text

- in the tutorial, you call core the sphere without eyes and then you tell use that the core are the sphere with eyes, can't you explicitely give a different name to these different creature parts? something like the limb cores and the brain cores?

- it is not obvious with the current design that the black cores are connected and forming long or short paths

- I did not understand that part... I did not understand the text and I did not undertand what was happening when I executed the move:

- maybe this part that explain that we can contaminate the other player should come first:

- I am still unsure why sometimes I grow and why sometimes I only move, you may need to explain it very clearly, step by step?

-  this last tutorial finishes without ending, no congratulations or anything, so I was unsure if that was finished or a bug.

- once you finalise the gameplay, it would be nice to improve the graphics: more colorful, less dark, more stylized, more juicy animations. I think that the background should be less dark to start with Smiley There is a lot of potential with this creatures Smiley

Please let me know what you think Smiley I wish a good week-end!

PS: how do we resize the images on this forum?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 02:39:26 AM by Nodragem » Logged

wormius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 07:28:41 AM »

Nodragem,
thanks for the lengthy feedback. I could explain the game in a quick tutorial:
1. You copy your creature from one of it's parts to another one of it's parts.
2. A core is the shape of the smallest shape of a creature you can see. The eyes and even the colors are just to help the player.
Only the orientaion of the parts matter.
3. Destroy all the enemy creatures to win.

There, pretty quick right? Who would understand that right?
Im sure there is a way to push the information to the players brain somehow, just need feedback from people to get that right.
It's interesting to see that you desided a core is a part without the eyes. Have no idea where that came from.
So thank you for yours and I will use that to improve.

P.S: [img width = 1000]http://whatever[/img]
wormius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 07:41:48 AM »

LeifTerry,

Thanks for the feedback. A core is the shape of the smallest creature. Flipped vertically it's the enemy core.
The eyes and even the colors are just to help out the player. All the information is in the orientation of the parts.
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 09:02:50 AM »

Hello wormius,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic