Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1396141 Posts in 67342 Topics- by 60484 Members - Latest Member: georgescott

October 25, 2021, 03:09:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCo-Op Pipe Laying Exploration - Clomper | Unity | WIP #49
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Co-Op Pipe Laying Exploration - Clomper | Unity | WIP #49  (Read 9051 times)
brainwipe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2021, 10:39:11 AM »

I've been making great progress on the Fire Sprites, even though the amount of time I have during the day has fallen off a cliff - mostly because summer holidays means that the kids are around more and time in the morning is squeezed.

I have joined in on the twitter 100 Days of Game Dev challenge. Mostly for fun - I doubt I'll be able to see it through given my commitments. It's been great to connect with people in the community and I think I am getting more subs through YT from it.

My latest video sums up all the work I've been up to - including a little bug where I mistook position for scale.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:56:36 AM by brainwipe » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2021, 05:39:23 AM »

Another delightful and calming devlog Smiley

I think there's something counterintuitive about closing the door first and then putting the sprites back in. The player would need a visual hint I think
brainwipe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2021, 07:51:29 AM »

JobLeonard, thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think I've found my style and this is what it is!

I agree that fixing the door before putting the sprites back in is weird. I can swap it round as I'm not relying on physics at this point. I do want players to put sprites back in at any time and I don't want to animate the door moving much because space is tight around the pipes. I do need more informative tooltips, I have that as a future feature rather than now because I am still unsure if the core game loop is fun enough to continue with Clomper - even after 2 years!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »

You could explain it lore-wise as them preferring to be in the boiler, but escaping for their own safety when it gets too hot. So they don't dare to go back to check if it's safe, but if you put them there they happily stay in.

Another option could be that the door automatically closes once all the sprites are in, as a hint to the player whether or not they got all the stray ones
brainwipe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2021, 12:58:40 PM »

Those are lovely ideas. I prefer the lore perspective - I want to have game modes where sprites are collected - giving you more/less steam pressure to play with. So, there would never be a "right number".

I think of the sprites more like cats. When inside the boiler, they can't wait to be out. When they're outside, they can't wait to get back in!

brainwipe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2021, 07:49:23 AM »

With the kids each going to new schools, it's been a tough few weeks but I have been soldiering on with the Twitter #100DaysOfGameDev challenge and have made good progress. I'm aiming for a playtest amongst friends but before that is a big chunk of testing!

Here's the latest devlog (49?! wow!) of some of the cool recent bits:

Here's what I've been up to:

Sounds
Not everything has sounds yet but there are enough in there to give a little feedback. I've probably still got about 100 to add and a few I want to change. Games need a lot of sound! This will be enough to make the game feel a more alive.

Pressure + Heat
You now can control the amount of steam pressure that comes out of each boiler. You can wang the boiler up to maximum for extra speed (and utility) but doing so generates heat. You can balance that with the amount of pressure you consume. If you don't consume any steam pressure at all and the boiler is set to high then you're going to go bang.

Going bang will require you fixing the boiler and then collecting the little fire sprites and putting them back in.

Boilers make noise, shake when hot, the explosion has sound and VFX and it's all round a cool feature now.

Steam sound and push
Steam escaping from the end of an open pipe now makes noise and more importantly, it now pushes you too. This allows for lots of parkour shinanigans but also I found in testing that if you crash, the steam can get in the way of you switching off boilers that are now overheating.

Dial upgrades
Dials have warning arcs on them to let you know what "too much" is and will flash when the needle goes into it. I found this particularly helpful when exploring at full speed.

Switch pipe
EMW will remember how tricky it was to link up the grabber claw with the boilers because the ports are so close together. Some might relish that challenge and I will provide a surivival mode in the future to scratch that itch.

The switch is like a T-piece except you can shut off steam to one or more exits. Great for the claw but with some clever piping, you can use it for steering and speed. I'm still experimenting with a layout that I like.

I don't think the game is too easy with the switch, I think it's just less hard!

As an aside I rebuilt a couple of netcode bits now that I understand more, some things should be more stable. There are a few other things I'd like to do too but they can wait.

Generally feeling positive
I like these new additions, they're fun to do even in the evenings when my brain has stopped working.

Thanks for dropping by!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:01:41 AM by brainwipe » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2021, 08:12:34 AM »

(you forgot to close the second [/url])

> I like these new additions, they're fun to do even in the evenings when my brain has stopped working.

This sounds like a good change then! The game is supposed to be challenging for the sake of fun, not challenging for the sake of being brutally challenging
brainwipe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2021, 11:03:47 AM »

Thank you JobLeonard! Fixed.

You're right that I'm pitching this game to people who want to just have some fun. I appreciate the brutally-hard market of games such as Super Meatboy but Clomper isn't that. I have plans for "difficulty settings" that will allow a player to make it really hard to play but I expect those people to be the outliers rather than the norm.

Thank you again for the support!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2021, 06:02:28 AM »

Well, you do have a way of saying "hellscape" that almost makes it sound cosy
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic