Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 01:39:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36072 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2020, 04:23:46 PM »

I've actually started this project in 02/2018 (long before I found this forum), but it was paused while I did "Spaß Taxi".
Now I've returned to it and thought it would be nice to do a dev log for this project as well. Smiley

It's a 1st person point and click adventure in a voxel look. It will have a scary atmosphere, classical adventure gameplay using items and also some minigames.
You play as a boy that is supposed to find an item in an old abandoned house as a trial to get accepted into a group of boys from his new neighborhood.
But after you have entered the house, it becomes clear that there are other things on his mind than just that.

I hope that I will be able to post some new stuff soon, although I am currently moving the project to the current Unity version, redesigning some code and do some boring performance stuff as well. ^^

There already is a demo here, which covers the tutorial and the first location: https://scanix.itch.io/mournway-mansion

« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 04:30:16 AM by RealScaniX » Logged

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 05:50:35 AM »

I have added the first new item to the game after the break.
It probably is relevant for leaving the cellar. Or not.

It's hard to get back into it after such a long time, but I think I've...

...nailed it. :D

ironfroggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 09:22:27 AM »

This looks great, I'd love to see more.

Keep up the good work!
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 10:13:31 AM »

Thank you!

I'm currently still in the phase of getting back into the project, rewriting code, increasing performance etc.
But I am starting to make some progress in the gameplay category, too. I hope I can post new gameplay soon.

Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 05:14:43 AM »

Voxel graphics horror games seem to be popular, I'm doing one too xD
Anyway I like how atmospheric the screenshots are. For me it's quite a challenge to achive that Smiley.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 06:33:53 AM »

They are? I haven't seen any until now. Smiley
I'm using my own shader and the post process stack. I need to work of the performance, though.
Voxel models aren't exactly low poly. ^^

Benan_Grove
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 08:54:07 AM »

The logo reminds me a lot of the "The Darkness" logo (lawsuit pending) which was a bit distracting.
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 10:23:59 AM »

The logo reminds me a lot of the "The Darkness" logo (lawsuit pending) which was a bit distracting.

No idea what you mean. It has no resemblance to the logo of the game or comic.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 12:07:43 PM »

I did a fun task (for me that is usually coding something "cool") and ended up doing a post process stack shader for the transition into the memory flashbacks that you get when you touch one of the magically working lights in the house.

For the moment it is just faked into the game. Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 01:42:36 PM »

A little more work on the post process shader to get the tri planar mapping a bit more stable.
I think it's working good enough to be able to use it.

I will (hopefully) leave the shader stuff alone for now and return to some gampeplay.

joshcamas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 11:12:48 PM »

Super interesting artstyle! I personally adore first person games, so a game like this immediately interests me. I'll keep my eye on this. Smiley

Developing an Open-World RPG: https://ardenfall.com
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 01:51:11 AM »

Super interesting artstyle! I personally adore first person games, so a game like this immediately interests me. I'll keep my eye on this. Smiley

Thank you! Smiley

As I haven't posted the beginning of the project here, those are some videos from before the hiatus:

Grandfather clock:

Grandfather clock fight:

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 01:52:06 AM »

And another one:

Coat hangers:

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 03:26:47 PM »

Something that bothered me for a while now was the dust particle system. It worked fine while standing, but had it's problems while moving around.
So I came up with this solution. I'm probably reinventing the wheel (again), but it was a fun task. Smiley

I'm offsetting the vertices of the particles via shader to keep the density of the particles around the player constant.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 12:21:56 PM »

This mirror spook was on my list for a while. I had pretty specific #shader ideas yesterday, so I started it right away.

I'm even matching the sounds (that I recorded myself) to the movements, although they sound like an inconvenienced horse.

The mirror will be placed in a bathroom and you will be able to make the text appear by turning on the hot water faucet.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 09:54:37 AM »

Those are some pretty cool shaders that you've shown here! And quite a clever solution to the dust-particle problem, I think. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 12:15:30 PM »

Thank you! Doing shaders is a fun task, so I'm usually doing this if I am not motivated enough to do "real work" or just don't know how to continue in the other regions of gamedev.
At the moment I'm creating an overall structure of the gameplay. Adding more info about what happens in each chapter and what items can be found and what they can be used for etc.
That... is quite dry...

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 09:16:02 AM »

Well, I hope that it goes well and swiftly, then, and that you can soon get on to juicier parts of development. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 05:57:13 AM »

I have almost finished the oven for the kitchen. I might hide something in there, but currently there is not much gameplay planned for it. Still it is a necessary part of the kitchen to feel right.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 06:11:26 AM »

Woah, I missed this thread! This is amazing. You seem to have gotten really far already. Great atmosphere! And the memory stuff… Intrigued. Shocked

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic