Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:24:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 35897 times)
David Night
Level 0

Hmm.. is this thing on?

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2020, 03:35:50 AM »

Very cool! Dig the voxel graphics used here.

Played the demo for a bit. Really enjoyed how you can interact with a bunch of things in the environment.

Keen to see where this game goes.

Game dev for life!
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2020, 03:47:15 AM »

"that is my light ball"
"there are many like it but this one is mine"

Hehe, nice. Smiley

Very cool! Dig the voxel graphics used here.

Played the demo for a bit. Really enjoyed how you can interact with a bunch of things in the environment.

Keen to see where this game goes.

Thank you! The demo is 1.5 years old. Sooner or later I will need to update it, but that is a lot of work as I have new ideas of how to do the tutorial now.
And welcome to the site! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:28:58 AM by RealScaniX » Logged

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2020, 10:19:53 AM »

The start of the prologue with some light ball and some inventory gameplay.
Also a mystery is discovered that could (but won't) be in the game like this. Smiley

It was quite some work to redo the inventory with the layout and transitions (from world to closeup, from inventory to closeup, from inventory to world when combining it with something outside of inventory) and the new interactions.

I like the look of the light ball and the new ghost light paint shader. Its delay is done by moving the point of the light ball (around which the special "paint" is revealed) with a bit of a lag behind the real light source. It's a simple mechanic, but it works nicely. Smiley

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:28:33 AM by RealScaniX » Logged

Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2020, 10:44:23 AM »

The light ball looks great Coffee

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
Suttebun
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2020, 11:37:56 AM »

I bet there is a lot to proof read. English is a foreign language after all, so lots of it doesn't come naturally.
The description stays the same for items, no matter if they are still standing on a shelf or have moved into your posession in the meantime. If that proves to be a problem, I can still add (another) mechanism to the description texts. ^ - ^

Ooh gotcha, well a traditional gamey way to go about the description could be..
"It's my light ball."

sortof like..   s i l e n t    h i l l    Noir
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2020, 03:33:36 PM »

The light ball looks great Coffee

Thank you! Coffee

I bet there is a lot to proof read. English is a foreign language after all, so lots of it doesn't come naturally.
The description stays the same for items, no matter if they are still standing on a shelf or have moved into your posession in the meantime. If that proves to be a problem, I can still add (another) mechanism to the description texts. ^ - ^

Ooh gotcha, well a traditional gamey way to go about the description could be..
"It's my light ball."

sortof like..   s i l e n t    h i l l    Noir

Ok, thanks. I will keep that in mind.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2020, 09:11:31 AM »

Your typical row of picture frames on the wall of the hallway.

I'm still unsure if I should put pixelart-ish stuff in there or rendered voxel scenes.

Being sleepy and having not much time to work on the game often leads to me losing focus and working on seemingly random things.
I need to read through my concept texts to get on the right track again.
This one isn't totally useless, though. I'm still in the process of filling up the house with content and pictures are an important part of it. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »

Those creepy glowing eyes though  Who, Me?
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2020, 01:04:49 AM »

Those creepy glowing eyes though  Who, Me?

Lifelike portraits. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2020, 08:52:50 AM »

That prologue video looks really impressive: the lighting and atmosphere is lovely, the transitions are slick, and the gameplay looks excellent thus far! ^_^

As to the portraits, there's an argument for both rendered voxel-art and pixel-art each, I think: Rendered voxel-art is a direct representation of what paintings are in our world. Conversely, pixels are the two-dimensional equivalent of voxels, and thus when the three-dimensional world is constructed of voxels it makes sense that two-dimensional things be constructed of pixels.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2020, 09:07:41 AM »

That prologue video looks really impressive: the lighting and atmosphere is lovely, the transitions are slick, and the gameplay looks excellent thus far! ^_^

Yay! Thank you very much! Smiley

As to the portraits, there's an argument for both rendered voxel-art and pixel-art each, I think: Rendered voxel-art is a direct representation of what paintings are in our world. Conversely, pixels are the two-dimensional equivalent of voxels, and thus when the three-dimensional world is constructed of voxels it makes sense that two-dimensional things be constructed of pixels.

Thank you for this deep analysis! I was hoping for a "voxels (or pixel art) would look betta!", but you have some valid points for both of the styles. I think I will try a few voxel scenes (takes a bit of time to create those) and see what fits better into that world.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2020, 10:24:36 AM »

I was super tired this week, so the output feels really small.

I have redesigned the book as one of the main inventory and gameplay items will be a book. It will guide you to the things that you need to do next. It's a riddle book written by the deceased kid that lived in the house.
The old book used the old unity text mesh which tends to create blurry text. I could have used the new TextMeshPro, but in the end I got rid of the extra text meshes completely and produced textures using my pixel font paragraph script that I've already used in "Spaß Taxi". Those textures are used by a new simple shader that determines the front and back of the cubes (pages) and renders the front/back texture and some dirt. Smiley

I've also finished the grandfather clock puzzle in which you repair the clock by readding the weights and then bringing the pendulum into motion. Afterwards you can open a secret door (the new bookshelf) and need to get there before it closes again, which seems impossible. Unless... there is a trick? Smiley

New vs. old book

More images

Secret room entrance

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2020, 10:28:57 AM »

All of that sounds pretty cool! ^_^ (Save for the tiredness; I'm sorry to read of that, and hope for rest and recovery for you!)

I particularly like the painting shown in the second image; that looks quite lovely. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »

All of that sounds pretty cool! ^_^ (Save for the tiredness; I'm sorry to read of that, and hope for rest and recovery for you!)

I particularly like the painting shown in the second image; that looks quite lovely. ^_^

Thank you! Yes, I think I like the pixelart-ish images as well. It's also a thing that I can provide without too much work, which is a big bonus.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2020, 09:42:06 AM »

Much like the original short story, there never was a concrete idea of the story/gameplay at the beginning.
The short story started with "After door closed behind him, Karl stood in absolute darkness.". I just had the idea of some scary story with a boy scared of the dark. It was an adventure to write, because I never knew what came next. Smiley

Just like that, the first game based on that story was a first person adventure. It diverged from the story a bit and lots of elements changed to be something different while still keeping the "Darkness" theme and some other parts.

The second installment was a text adventure with a lot of fights, different weapons, the light level (a new mechanism) and a new story revolving around the player character which was pretty vague before. Now there was an explanation for his fear of the dark.

This new Darkness game keeps the light level, the new background of the player character "Karl" and changes the gameplay back to a real first person point and click game, but it adds minigames for the fights. Unlike the text adventure, you won't have different weapons here, though. And the fights will be rare.

The reason why Karl enters the house has always been the same, though: To find a ball that some other boys have hidden in the house. It's a test and if he succeeds, he will join their group and won't be alone anymore. At least he will be distracted from something else that bothers him and is the reason for his fear of the dark.

The "Find the ball" task is a great way to get the player walk around in the house and search through every cupboard, but I also need to add enough details to keep him entertained.
While looking through the house you will find and "absorb" some light sources that will increase your light level and also show a flashback explaining Karl's situation.

The second and actual main task is to leave the house again. The text adventure added a blocked entrance door and you needed to find 5 keys to open the door to the final showdown fight and open the seal.
In this new game, there is a giant eye blocking the entrance door and you need to find 6 triangles and stick them into it. Mmh... that sounds kinda gross...

The final (and pretty new) task is a way to tell the player where to go next and add some order and more story to the whole thing:

"Bokomo" is a riddle book. It has been written by a (now dead) boy that has been living in that house before.
It contains riddles and also rewards, like keys to the initially locked rooms of the house or the ghost light mod.

I kinda struggled with finding a working overall gameplay for this, but I think that I am on the right track now and will start filling the book with tasks, which will fill those rooms with stuff and more importantly: with purpose!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:24:18 AM by RealScaniX » Logged

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2020, 09:17:35 AM »

It's interesting to see that glimpse of the game's history! Thank you for that. In addition, there are some nicely-intriguing tidbits of story there; I'm interested to see what form the story takes in the end. ^_^

It looks like your have a pretty decent structure in mind. If I may ask, what happens if the player tries to wander off the prescribed path? Can things be done out of order? Are there locks preventing such roaming? Something else?

As to combat, I'm curious, if I may: what mechanic do you have in mind for it?

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2020, 01:46:08 AM »

It's interesting to see that glimpse of the game's history! Thank you for that. In addition, there are some nicely-intriguing tidbits of story there; I'm interested to see what form the story takes in the end. ^_^

Me, too. Smiley

It looks like your have a pretty decent structure in mind. If I may ask, what happens if the player tries to wander off the prescribed path? Can things be done out of order? Are there locks preventing such roaming? Something else?

Basically, gameplay leads to new areas. Solving something might give you a key to a door, climbing a bit over the counter in the kitchen will unlock the living room, etc.
What you do in the reachable areas is pretty free. You can come out of the cellar and fight the grandfather clock right away or do this in the last chapter after returning from the garden. Necessary parts for some puzzles are scattered throughout the house and garden (or possibly the "light worlds" (need a better name for those)), so you might stumble across something (like the drill in the cellar), but cannot really do anything with it until you find the necessary parts.
I like that in adventures. You advance in the game and the number of possible actions increases over time and you need to remember that there was a something in the beginning that might be usable now, because you have found a thingy. Smiley

As to combat, I'm curious, if I may: what mechanic do you have in mind for it?

As I've mentioned, those fights are minigames. One of them is at the beginning of this thread, the grandfather clock.
I have others planned, but not done yet. They work with the player being a square consisting of smaller squares (the hitpoints, you will lose one with every hit) and regions that are either safe, harmful or your target for attacks or actions.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2020, 09:16:32 AM »

Basically, gameplay leads to new areas. Solving something might give you a key to a door, climbing a bit over the counter in the kitchen will unlock the living room, etc.
What you do in the reachable areas is pretty free. ...

Ah, that does sound like fun! A little like a metroidvania, in a way: finding things opens up new areas to explore, but the player is free in the order in which they approach things, and one player's path through the game may differ from another's. ^_^

As I've mentioned, those fights are minigames. One of them is at the beginning of this thread, the grandfather clock.
I have others planned, but not done yet. They work with the player being a square consisting of smaller squares (the hitpoints, you will lose one with every hit) and regions that are either safe, harmful or your target for attacks or actions.

Ah, interesting--that grandfather clock fight reminds me somewhat of Undertale. Well, it looks like a neat and unusual approach to combat, especially for a game like this! ^_^

Suttebun
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2020, 10:49:59 AM »

I don't know why, but I actually look forward to searching for things in the drawers..
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2020, 12:14:37 PM »

Looks very nice. I like the games with unique look and I like adventures. Crossing my fingers, that your progress bar will rise steadily! Toast Left

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic