Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:55:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 35898 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2020, 12:58:50 AM »

I don't know why, but I actually look forward to searching for things in the drawers..

That's kinda reassuring, thanks. Smiley

Looks very nice. I like the games with unique look and I like adventures. Crossing my fingers, that your progress bar will rise steadily! Toast Left

Thank you! I'm on a good track at the moment. It just is a very large amount of work. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2020, 03:03:14 AM »

I don't know why, but I actually look forward to searching for things in the drawers..
I hear ya. I think it's because the game seems to have such nice affordances, both in visual terms as well as how you interact with the environment
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2020, 03:54:05 AM »

I hear ya. I think it's because the game seems to have such nice affordances, both in visual terms as well as how you interact with the environment

Thanks! I hope that I can include that interaction in a some puzzles, too.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2020, 10:51:48 AM »

Visible progress is slow, but here is a WIP screenshot from the new wardrobe for the kid's room. It will be part of the first(?) Bokomo riddle.

Although I haven't much to show, I've defined some more basic mechanisms (like portals) and have a better idea of what the complete playthrough will look like.

I've assigned the major parts of the game to the places of the house, the garden and the light worlds. This helps designing those places and also makes it possible to put them in a logical order later on when the entrance to those places depend on solving a riddle or retrieving an object from somewhere else.

Next on the list is the riddle interaction with the wardrobe, the portal and the first few pages of content for Bokomo.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »

While the progress may not much of it be visible, it does at least sound like things are progressing well. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2020, 02:14:17 AM »

I try to concentrate on the "base mechanics" that I have identified now and will create them first before getting back to generally filling up the house with stuff.
At the moment those are:
- Bokomo
- Portals

At the same time, I am always trying to think of a nice gameplay video that I could record to show new stuff. This often makes it necessary to work on other stuff as well.

I hope that I can show some Bokomo and portal gameplay this weekend. I initially wanted to split it into two videos, but I'm currently working on the stuff needed for the second part, so this does not really work out. ^^

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2020, 09:23:37 AM »

Well, whether shown in one or two parts, I'm curious to see those mechanics in action. ^_^

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »

Lots of nice progress since I last checked in! Love that bookshelf door. Kiss

I got curious, seeing as it's often frowned upon "mixing pixel sizes" when working with 2D, is it similar with mixing voxel sizes like you're doing here? Just peaked my interest. Blink

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2020, 01:22:43 PM »

Lots of nice progress since I last checked in! Love that bookshelf door. Kiss

I got curious, seeing as it's often frowned upon "mixing pixel sizes" when working with 2D, is it similar with mixing voxel sizes like you're doing here? Just peaked my interest. Blink

Hey, thank you!

I don't think mixing voxel sizes is bad. If you check out games like trove or others, they have vastly different scales. I try to keep them as stable as possible. I have a "normal" scale of 0.025m per voxel and use double or higher resolutions when I need more details. Lots of items are not recognizable at the standard resolution as they would just consist of a few cubes.

However, creating large objects (e.g. the staircase, which is a worst case or even the wardrobe) in a high resolution creates some problems:
- Magica Voxel now has a limit of 255, although you can combine multiple objects, but it's a bit tedious
- Voxel count (and polygon count) rises extremely fast with higher resolutions and even low res voxel objects already have a high polygon count.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2020, 05:13:49 AM »

I've completed most of the look for the portal. It's not one of those "look through" thingies, but more of a magical one that you touch to travel to another place.

I had more elements planned, but I think it will get a bit overloaded if I add more stuff to it.

When solving a puzzle (that allows this, like the first Bokomo puzzle with the wardrobe), then one symbol appears per correct step of the solution. In the final step the particles and glow appear and you can "enter" it.

Here is a breakdown of how it is composed:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2020, 11:50:40 AM »

I like the squiggly efect. Reminds me of Dr Katz and its squigglevision

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2020, 12:06:13 AM »

I like the squiggly efect. Reminds me of Dr Katz and its squigglevision

Thanks. I think most games are doing hand drawn stuff squiggly, unless it's a drawing on a mirror. ^^

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2020, 01:33:50 AM »

Nah... I have seen it here and there but it's definitely not overdone, in case you're implying that bit of self-deragatory judgement between the lines
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2020, 01:47:56 AM »

I rather like that portal--squiggliness included! And I like that it's a touch-teleporter rather than a doorway; there's a neat flavour to it, I think. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2020, 06:43:22 AM »

Nah... I have seen it here and there but it's definitely not overdone, in case you're implying that bit of self-deragatory judgement between the lines

Not really, I think I just wanted to say that it's the first thing that comes to mind when trying to add something to the bare drawing here and I remember some others that did it. I still like the effect in every game I see.

I rather like that portal--squiggliness included! And I like that it's a touch-teleporter rather than a doorway; there's a neat flavour to it, I think. ^_^

Thank you! I had the other type of portals in my other game already and I think Darkness will contain one of them for the ultimate puzzle as well. Smiley

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2020, 11:34:03 AM »

While the progress may not much of it be visible, it does at least sound like things are progressing well. ^_^

Ad Progress: more important than being fast is being steady. And this project seems progressing well. Wink

Good job and wardrobe looks great. Many screenshots give me creeps just looking at them. Addicted

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2020, 01:28:27 AM »

Ad Progress: more important than being fast is being steady. And this project seems progressing well. Wink

Good job and wardrobe looks great. Many screenshots give me creeps just looking at them. Addicted

Hi! Thank you very much.

The elements I'm currently working on are taking a bit longer than expected as I got distracted with playing an MMO (*sigh*), but I made some progress and have a working system to get the puzzle texts (with variations and localizations) into Bokomo. I'm finishing up the gameplay of the first of those puzzles today.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2020, 06:12:00 AM »

Love the portal!

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2020, 07:47:54 AM »

Love the portal!

Thank you! Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2020, 07:51:01 AM »

"A way to Normia"

The wardrobe puzzle is working & is present in the book "Bokomo".
The puzzle & text will be different each time you play, like the puzzle in the demo.

The last problem that I solved today was to show the particles in front of everything inside the wardrobe yet still make the walls of the wardrobe obscure them.
I have used the stencil buffer to define the insides of the wardrobe and only render the particles in that confined area.

Now I will think about some more puzzle variations or about a way to generate a list of compatible puzzle steps, so there will be a different puzzle for every player. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic