Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:18:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36134 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2020, 05:27:09 AM »

Btw, this devlog writing here on forum, is great thing, I´m on my 1st project with writing devlog. It keeps developer better on track, even if track is not totally straight and without issues. But it´s much better to develop and share, than just develop.
That's what this forum is all about! Smiley

It died out a bit with people migrating to Twitter and Discord, but imo neither comes close to a good forum discussion
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2020, 08:22:59 AM »

Yes, I agree. It's great to show your stuff and get feedback. It may not be easy to get others to participate in the thread and give feedback, but it's one of the sources of motivation and those are rare and necessary.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2020, 08:47:14 AM »

I hope that I can continue working on this next week. Some real life things got in the way and I currently cannot really concentrate on gamedev.

I'm sorry to read of extraneous things stopping your game-dev; I hope that it's nothing too untoward, and that you get to return to game-dev at whatever point is best for you.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2020, 01:06:38 PM »

It's nothing super serious, but my free time will be a bit reduced for a while.
I have some nice and funny (in my weird sense of humor) ideas that I cannot wait to bring to life, though.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2020, 03:46:46 AM »

Well, even though you assure us it's not serious I hope you'll be doing well Coffee
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2020, 06:41:00 AM »

Well, even though you assure us it's not serious I hope you'll be doing well Coffee

Thank you! I really appreciate it. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2020, 11:56:21 AM »

It's nothing super serious, but my free time will be a bit reduced for a while.
I have some nice and funny (in my weird sense of humor) ideas that I cannot wait to bring to life, though.

I'm really glad that it's nothing super serious, at least. As to the free time, fair enough--that does happen from time to time, I daresay! ^_^

I'm rather intrigued to learn what those new ideas might be--especially given their being "nice and funny according to a weird sense of humour"! ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2020, 04:53:23 AM »

I finally had time to work on the game again & started with some lighting tests for a new place.
The house in "Darkness" does not have much lighting, but I want to have nice light sources & shadows here.

Took a while to get it all to work.

First the voxel import pipeline I am using (to load the magicavoxel objects, split them, modify normals, set materials and merge them again to export the final meshes to use in the scenes) killed the uv2 channel which holds the lightmap uvs. So I needed to change my tool scripts a bit.
After lots of playing around with the stuff I was able to get a nice lighting to work.

Afterwards I have added the particles for the flame, sparks and smoke.
For the flame I had to add something special to the shader to make it stay in front of the torch at all times, which was accomplished by adding a vertex offset towards the camera.

Now that I have an idea of how things are going to work here, I can start modeling the place and the contents.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2020, 09:22:31 AM »

That looks pretty cool, I think, and I'm glad that you got everything working in the end! ^_^

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: June 27, 2020, 12:55:52 PM »

Glad to see your new post. Torches look great, love those tiny particles sparkling from it. Small detail but noticeable and makes difference. Wink

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2020, 12:39:58 AM »

That looks pretty cool, I think, and I'm glad that you got everything working in the end! ^_^

Thank you! I'm still not very used to lightmapping and there is some work ahead of me, but I will first build the scene and then come back to lighting. Smiley

Glad to see your new post. Torches look great, love those tiny particles sparkling from it. Small detail but noticeable and makes difference. Wink

Thank you! I still cannot do much during the week, but I'm starting to get used to my new schedule and will hopefully make some progress from now on. Smiley
And those torches totally needed some sparks.  Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2020, 08:42:42 AM »

The house in "Darkness" does not have much lighting
Heh, this reads like some wise proverd :p

Funny how I never noticed you had a depth of field effect before!
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2020, 09:06:41 AM »

The house in "Darkness" does not have much lighting
Heh, this reads like some wise proverd :p

Yes, this sounded funny in my head, too. ^^

Funny how I never noticed you had a depth of field effect before!

That's because you cannot look very far in the "Darkness" environment. There are a few lightsources with special meaning that you will be able to see from afar, but otherwise you are limited to the range of your light ball.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2020, 11:20:34 AM »

A #voxel sarcophagus for the new place in "Darkness". This is a magicavoxel rendering, so it will look quite a bit different in the game. Smiley

It is part of the main puzzle in the new place, which is one of the "Lightworlds".

Next, I will split it into moving & static parts and add the mechanism to open it.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2020, 02:53:08 PM »

This is pretty much how it will look in the game.

After assigning materials, smoothing some normals and pushing around the pivot points for the moving parts, the only thing left is adding the opening mechanics. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 30, 2020, 01:19:44 AM »

Ohoho, you tease!

Also, just noticed those two tubes, wonder what they're for?
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: June 30, 2020, 01:24:18 AM »

Ohoho, you tease!

=P

Also, just noticed those two tubes, wonder what they're for?

This will become clear in one of the next posts, I hope.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2020, 01:57:35 AM »

Does it involve a reference to people in the 19th century being scared of being buried alive?
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2020, 03:14:42 AM »

Does it involve a reference to people in the 19th century being scared of being buried alive?

No, it's for filling in water to make sure that they are really dead.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2020, 04:35:58 AM »

Holy water? Vampires? Guuuh! Bleeegh!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic