Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:27:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 35890 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2020, 06:27:32 AM »

I was pretty late with this thread anyway. ^^
Thanks a lot! I hope to finally make some progress again now. Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 12:21:01 PM »

I redid the handrail of the main stairway with twice as many #voxels.
Originally the low resolution was caused by the 126x126x126 limit of MagicaVoxel.
Now I've split it into multiple elements and merged them again in Unity.

I think it was worth it. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 09:20:06 AM »

Oof, yeah: presuming that the top image shows the new rail, I think that it's a significant improvement!

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 11:21:43 AM »

Oof, yeah: presuming that the top image shows the new rail, I think that it's a significant improvement!

Hehe, yes. The top one is the new one.
Thanks. When walking around in there, it never really bothered me, but now I think that the old one was pretty ugly. ^^

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2020, 10:16:06 AM »

Thanks. When walking around in there, it never really bothered me, but now I think that the old one was pretty ugly. ^^

Heh, yeah, that can happen: through familiarity, and perhaps through knowing the vision for the thing, we don't always see at first how well a given element is working out.

(This is, I think, one reason that taking some time away from a piece can be helpful: it can allow one to return and see the piece with less of that stuff at the forefront of the mind, affecting one's perspective.)

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2020, 09:05:37 AM »

I like this voxel art
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2020, 11:37:17 AM »

Heh, yeah, that can happen: through familiarity, and perhaps through knowing the vision for the thing, we don't always see at first how well a given element is working out.

(This is, I think, one reason that taking some time away from a piece can be helpful: it can allow one to return and see the piece with less of that stuff at the forefront of the mind, affecting one's perspective.)

Indeed. Usually it's enough to look at it on the next day to see the flaws, but this one stuck around for a while. Smiley

I like this voxel art

Thank you! It's one of the things that keeps me motivated in this project.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 02:03:41 PM »

I've added pseudo physics to the fridge with my script called "DrawerVsDoor".
I'm not using real Unity physics in those places, because weird things tend to happen then.

I will use this script for all cupboards with doors and (multiple) drawers now.

Suttebun
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 04:48:56 PM »

Oh my goodness, that combat is really cool!
and your mesh deform thing becomes really dreamy. Keep it up  Coffee
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 01:49:28 AM »

Oh my goodness, that combat is really cool!
and your mesh deform thing becomes really dreamy. Keep it up  Coffee

Hi! Thanks a lot! Smiley
I'm trying my best to stick to it.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »

That "pseudo-physics" looks really, really good! Nicely done! ^_^

I'm guessing that you're using something like line-line intersection tests, along with some logic that describes what to do under various circumstances?

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 09:46:01 AM »

That "pseudo-physics" looks really, really good! Nicely done! ^_^

I'm guessing that you're using something like line-line intersection tests, along with some logic that describes what to do under various circumstances?

Thanks. Line intersection tests would have been a way, but no:
All interactive objects in my game are of type "Grabbable", some specific types like "SlidingObject" (Drawer) and "Door" (... the door) can have one or more lock scripts attached that can restrict their movements (e.g. when it's locked XD).
In this case the script "DrawerVsDoor" is creating locks that restrict the movement of a drawer or door beyond the unoccupied region. If it exceeds it, it pushes the opposite object out of the way (if possible. the door won't push the drawer above a certain angle, because the vector would be too orthogonal to the movement direction and feel unnatural) by setting its angle or position and adds a bit of velocity (door). The angle stuff consists of some tan / atan calculations.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »

Today I have finished the ventilation stuff and the corner shelf for the kitchen.

Next on the list are two types of cupboards (one with drawers and one with simple boards to put stuff on) and the dishwasher and sink.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 02:42:45 AM »

I have added the cupboard with drawers. Originally I had planned to add a door here as well and use the DrawerVsDoor script, but then I noticed that it makes no sense. ^^
But the script will be used for the dishwasher again and a wardrobe that will be done for the bedrooms.

This might or might not offer a way to reach new places.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 12:57:54 PM »

All interactive objects in my game are of type "Grabbable", some specific types like "SlidingObject" (Drawer) and "Door" (... the door) can have one or more lock scripts attached that can restrict their movements (e.g. when it's locked XD).
In this case the script "DrawerVsDoor" is creating locks that restrict the movement of a drawer or door beyond the unoccupied region. If it exceeds it, it pushes the opposite object out of the way (if possible. the door won't push the drawer above a certain angle, because the vector would be too orthogonal to the movement direction and feel unnatural) by setting its angle or position and adds a bit of velocity (door). The angle stuff consists of some tan / atan calculations.

Ah, that's an interesting way of doing it! Thank you for the explanation. ^_^

As to the subsequent updates, the kitchen seems to be filling out nicely. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 04:49:49 PM »

Whut dish?
Dish washer!

Another part of the kitchen crawls towards completion. The interaction is still missing though:
Turning on/off faucet, opening right door (simple), open left door and drawers (a bit more new pseudo physics here).

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2020, 04:20:44 AM »

More pseudo physics for the dishwasher drawers.

Next on the list: Fixing that dripping faucet! It was annoying me the whole time I was working on this.

"This has to be an important part of the game.", you say?
Well,... it's probably just a decoration.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2020, 09:33:04 AM »

That dripping tap is actually a rather nice bit of atmospheric detailing, I think. ^_^

Suttebun
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2020, 11:40:18 AM »

ah the functionality of that dishwasher is wonderful, I would actually enjoy being in this world.
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »

That dripping tap is actually a rather nice bit of atmospheric detailing, I think. ^_^

I indeed added it as an atmospheric localized sound that you can already hear from outside. Smiley

ah the functionality of that dishwasher is wonderful, I would actually enjoy being in this world.

Thanks! I hope I will come up with some sense for it all sooner or later. At the moment I just enjoy building those things that (I hope) are fun to interact with.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic