Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 03:56:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36150 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: August 05, 2020, 08:58:02 AM »

Great job at transforming an inherently circular geometry like a gear into voxels and yet make it look believable when two gears mesh together. Looking forward to further progress.

Thank you!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: August 06, 2020, 07:05:04 AM »

That little animation on jamming is quite effective, and a good idea, I think!

I will say that it might be worth being careful of using colour alone as an indicator--colourblind people might struggle with it. Perhaps some sort of icon for belt-connected gears?

Overall, however I rather like this puzzle. In particular, I suspect that having some of the connections hidden--that is, the belt-connections--should make the puzzle a little trickier and thus add a nice bit of challenge to it! ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: August 06, 2020, 10:46:51 AM »

That little animation on jamming is quite effective, and a good idea, I think!

Thanks!

I will say that it might be worth being careful of using colour alone as an indicator--colourblind people might struggle with it. Perhaps some sort of icon for belt-connected gears?

That is probably a good idea. I thought about the colors, but came to the conclusion that the color has no important meaning. On the other hand it's helpful to know whether a gear is connected directly or via belt.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: August 13, 2020, 10:29:36 AM »

I'm reworking the eye warden blocking the exit of the house.

The old one has been done when I was starting with voxels.

I try to make the new one less flat, so it can rotate properly. It will also be able to blink and probably more. Smiley

Why am I suddenly working on this again? Because the first triangle will be found in the tomb and I wanted it to be as final as possible, before I create the inventory item for it. The old ones weren't plain and would have probably looked a bit weird from certain angles.

I'm planning on adding a few more details to the eye as it will be a thing the player will return to a few times (and probably stare at for some time). Smiley

I hope that I can finish it this weekend and post a full video of it in the house.

The old version:

The new one:

And today I've made it blink:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 13, 2020, 11:57:39 AM »

Blink

That's impressively creepy, quite an improvement!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 13, 2020, 11:35:02 PM »

That is terrifying. Waaagh! And it's such a touch how those voxel veins are animated like pixel art rather than just transforming in 3D space. Makes it feel extra off and unsettling too.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: August 14, 2020, 12:24:04 AM »

Thank you, both! Smiley

I'm going to add some final effects and some sounds to the blinking today and then I'm done with it.

The next thing is to design the triangle item.

Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: August 14, 2020, 01:28:35 AM »

There's something about the veins that gets me. Like the speed they move around or how thin they are, perfectly gross.

Oh god make it stop.
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: August 14, 2020, 02:31:01 AM »

There's something about the veins that gets me. Like the speed they move around or how thin they are, perfectly gross.

Thank you, that's good to hear. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: August 14, 2020, 04:37:22 AM »

That looks much improved indeed; and the animation looks rather good, really improving the feel of the thing, I do think! ^_^

If I may ask, will the final version have veins on the white of the eye, as in the second still image? If so, I might suggest desaturating them a little: as shown there, I feel that they obfuscate the triangles a little bit. If not, then well and good! ^_^
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 05:00:00 AM by Thaumaturge » Logged

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: August 14, 2020, 05:46:24 AM »

That looks much improved indeed; and the animation looks rather good, really improving the feel of the thing, I do think! ^_^
Thanks, good to hear others feel the same as me about the changes. Smiley

If I may ask, will the final version have veins on the white of the eye, as in the second still image? If so, I might suggest desaturating them a little: as shown there, I feel that they obfuscate the triangles a little bit. If not, then well and good! ^_^
Thanks for that observation, you are right. Those are not meant to be that visible. It was just the current state of the eye which I had just imported, split into different meshes (e.g. eye ball and veins) and assigned different materials. The plan is to make them animated and start with them invisible. Then, the more triangles you have inserted, the more aggressive they will "pulse".

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: August 15, 2020, 05:02:08 AM »

I've "finished" the new version of the "Eye Warden".

The model has been changed to allow the movement of the eye lids to close the eye or blink and make it able to properly rotate to follow the player.
It has new effects for blinking (with sound) and for the push effect when the player gets to close.
A special particle shader has been added for the push effect to keep it pixelated the same while the particles are scaled by the system.
And another shader has been added to add a slight animation to the veins in the eyeball. This effect grows stronger when more triangles has been inserted by the player.
I've also changed the colors of the tendrils, so they are less glowy and look more like a part of it.

Here is a comparison video of version 1 vs. version 2:

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: August 15, 2020, 05:50:32 AM »

I love the version 2 Blink. The bounce in the blink animation and the receding slime in the eye when it opens up (don't know what to call it) - nice touch! 

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: August 15, 2020, 06:18:23 AM »

I love the version 2 Blink. The bounce in the blink animation and the receding slime in the eye when it opens up (don't know what to call it) - nice touch! 

Thank you very much! I've called it slime in the code, too. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: August 15, 2020, 09:58:11 AM »

Okay, yeah, version two looks really good indeed! The animations, the mucus, the faintly-pulsing veins, even the pushback effect all look great, I think!

It was just the current state of the eye which I had just imported, split into different meshes (e.g. eye ball and veins) and assigned different materials.

Aaah, I see! Fair enough. ^_^

The plan is to make them animated and start with them invisible. Then, the more triangles you have inserted, the more aggressive they will "pulse".

That sounds pretty cool, I do think. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: August 15, 2020, 10:38:43 AM »

Okay, yeah, version two looks really good indeed! The animations, the mucus, the faintly-pulsing veins, even the pushback effect all look great, I think!

Thanks! And you always seem to know the right words. Everyone else just calls it "slime". :D

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: August 15, 2020, 10:42:28 AM »

Here is a preview of the main puzzle of the tomb, which will be about gears and a lever.

The way interaction is done, it's sometimes difficult to keep all elements of a puzzle in view while manipulating it.
a) the overlay view
b) focus the whole puzzle

I prefer b, because it does not break the immersion as much.

Next, I will add more highlighting to the gears, so they also highlight the connected gears on hover.

Or, maybe you could do an inspiring puzzle straight from Inside a German U-boat (1918).
It would look something like this: Evil Blink Hand Joystick

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: August 15, 2020, 10:55:44 AM »

Ouch, so that's why they all sank to the ground of the sea... Xd
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 12:26:16 AM by RealScaniX » Logged

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2020, 03:17:43 AM »

Thanks! And you always seem to know the right words. Everyone else just calls it "slime". :D

And thank you in turn! I will confess that I have a fondness for words, and for writing. ^_^

Of course, in all fairness mucus is pretty slimy. Wink

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2020, 08:01:07 AM »

Nice progress here, "Eye Warden" is creepy, my cup of coffee. Addicted

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic