Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:35:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36085 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2020, 10:10:53 AM »

Nice progress here, "Eye Warden" is creepy, my cup of coffee. Addicted

Thanks!  Coffee

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: August 20, 2020, 02:23:50 PM »

The "Water tower" can now move and open the other sarcophagus. This is done after the gear puzzle is solved and you are able to move the lever to the other side.

The movement of the pipe and the sarcophagus lid parts is using my SinusShake() to make it look a bit stuttery and more interesting. I could use the animator a lot more, but I prefer to do most of the animations per code as it is... my nature. Smiley

I'm sloooowly getting towards finishing the tomb, so it can be tested by friends.  Screamy

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 21, 2020, 03:13:48 AM »

I'm starting to wonder if I have to skip this devlog so that I won't be spoiled of all the surprised before the game comes out Who, Me?
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: August 21, 2020, 03:51:41 AM »

I'm starting to wonder if I have to skip this devlog so that I won't be spoiled of all the surprised before the game comes out Who, Me?

Yes, I'm afraid this is not spoiler free. My idea behind this is that pretty much none of the actual players will have read this devlog or seen my tweets. There will be a few things that I will NOT post, but I need enough material to get people or influencers interested.
And when the game finally comes out, you will have forgotten this already. Xd

PS: I'd put those things into a spoiler tag, but there does not seem to be one here.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 03:57:37 AM by RealScaniX » Logged

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: August 21, 2020, 07:31:21 AM »

I'm sure that there'll be story behind which will definitely not be spoiled. Wink This game asks for it.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2020, 10:01:38 AM »

I'm sure that there'll be story behind which will definitely not be spoiled. Wink This game asks for it.

Yes, trying my best to not spoil the story. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2020, 11:26:25 AM »

Well, I feel like I barely have a clue so you're doing a good job at that so far! Cheesy Keep it up!  Wink
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2020, 11:55:55 AM »

Those animations look really good--that stuttering and shaking is rather effective, I do think! And the sounds (granted that I was listening on my laptop speakers) seem good too, and support the actions well, I feel. ^_^

Regarding spoilers... my feeling is that a devlog is a behind-the-scenes experience; it's quite likely to be ill-advised for those looking to go in entirely blind.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: August 22, 2020, 12:33:14 AM »

Well, I feel like I barely have a clue so you're doing a good job at that so far! Cheesy Keep it up!  Wink

lol, good to know.

Those animations look really good--that stuttering and shaking is rather effective, I do think! And the sounds (granted that I was listening on my laptop speakers) seem good too, and support the actions well, I feel. ^_^

Thank you. Smiley

Regarding spoilers... my feeling is that a devlog is a behind-the-scenes experience; it's quite likely to be ill-advised for those looking to go in entirely blind.

Yes, that is true. I just need to be careful to not be like those movie trailers that already contain all the best scenes. I will hide some details and scenes, so will have to actually play it to see them. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2020, 02:10:52 AM »

Just for the record: I wasn't complaining about the spoiler potential, just thinking openly about what would be the best choice for me if I want to properly enjoy this game once it's done!
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: August 22, 2020, 10:35:44 AM »

Just for the record: I wasn't complaining about the spoiler potential, just thinking openly about what would be the best choice for me if I want to properly enjoy this game once it's done!

No, worries. That's what I thought. Still, it's a difficult task to decide what to show to get people interested and what to hide for people that might actually play it (if any ^^).

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2020, 11:38:09 AM »

Yes, that is true. I just need to be careful to not be like those movie trailers that already contain all the best scenes. I will hide some details and scenes, so will have to actually play it to see them. Smiley

That does make sense, indeed! And I'm interested to see what details do go unrevealed. ^_^

No, worries. That's what I thought. Still, it's a difficult task to decide what to show to get people interested and what to hide for people that might actually play it (if any ^^).

I very much sympathise with this. ^^;

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: August 24, 2020, 12:24:20 AM »

Finally, I'm getting some shit done... pun intended. :D

This is the so called "Box of Shame" and it's the weird humor part of the tomb that I have mentioned years ago in this thread. Smiley

It's a box at the end of a corridor that you can (slowly) push to the backside of the gears puzzle, which will trigger a mechanism to auto correct the gears positions. You won't get the same score for doing it this way (and even more if you do it AFTER solving the puzzle including an achievement), but for players who are stuck on the puzzle it's a way to go on in a less immersion breaking way than selecting "skip" from a menu.

I've finished the whole sequence including sound yesterday, so I will post a video of it soon, too.
"Let's do the sounds while I drink my morning coffee! It's an easy relaxing task to look through the assets and find fitting sounds." I said. It took hours... and I'm not even confident in it.

Ah, well. Here it is in all its glory, the "Box of Shame":
(works best if you put it on repeat)

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: August 24, 2020, 01:46:16 AM »

That is an interesting approach to a puzzle-skip! I'm curious to see how players respond to it! ^_^

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 24, 2020, 03:27:44 AM »

I am a bit worried what kind of sounds that box makes Shocked
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: August 24, 2020, 04:12:42 AM »

I am a bit worried what kind of sounds that box makes Shocked

I've been thinking about a squishy sound when attaching it to the puzzle, but I was able to suppress the urge. ^^

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: August 24, 2020, 05:40:17 AM »

"Let's do the sounds while I drink my morning coffee! It's an easy relaxing task to look through the assets and find fitting sounds." I said. It took hours... and I'm not even confident in it.

Yeah, sound effects take lot of time. I'm curious to know what software do you use? I generally use Audacity and bfxr.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: August 24, 2020, 05:58:33 AM »

Yeah, sound effects take lot of time. I'm curious to know what software do you use? I generally use Audacity and bfxr.

Ah, bfxr. At first I didn't recognize that, but I had a brief look at this in the past, too. I've never used it, though. I think it is better suited for retro/8-bit-ish games? Could have used it for Spaß Taxi, I guess. Smiley
I'm using Audacity to modify or mix together sounds from several sound asset packs that I have collected over the time.
Usually I only have atomic sounds and play and modify (pitch, volume) them according to the movement by code. In rare cases I am mixing together a complete animation sequence in Audacity for stuff that has a fixed behaviour if it's easier for me.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: August 24, 2020, 11:44:47 AM »

I've added a "dirt overlay" to the shader used in the tomb.

I like to soften the hardness of the #voxel patterns here & there with effects like these (or a subtle normal map).
It also adds another layer of detail that helps to reduce the repetitiveness.

In combination with the normal manipulation of objects (e.g. for a "rounder" shading of a ball) I think this gives my voxel game a nicer look.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: August 25, 2020, 09:36:01 AM »

I take it that this is seen in the various pixel-shades on the surfaces? If so, then indeed, I think that it provides a nice layer of detail that helps to make the surfaces feel a little more detailed, and thus place feel a bit more "real". ^_^

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic