Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:15:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 35893 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 25, 2020, 09:43:10 AM »

I'm not sure I'm seeing the normal maps or what seems to be ambient occlusion, but it looks very nice either way!

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: August 25, 2020, 09:54:44 AM »

I take it that this is seen in the various pixel-shades on the surfaces? If so, then indeed, I think that it provides a nice layer of detail that helps to make the surfaces feel a little more detailed, and thus place feel a bit more "real". ^_^

I'm not sure I'm seeing the normal maps or what seems to be ambient occlusion, but it looks very nice either way!

Well, I guess it is subtle enough then. :D

I think it will be more visible in motion. While working on it I turned it on and off to make sure it's an improvement. Should have offered before/after pictures here as well. Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: August 25, 2020, 01:44:26 PM »

Here is a video of how the box of shame is used to overcome the gears puzzle.
The box is extra heavy and I have added a mechanism that slows down your movement and rotation, so it will take a moment to get this thing to its destination. Smiley

Of course the sound failed and the highlight had a bug that I noticed AFTER posting this video on twitter. :D

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 25, 2020, 02:52:55 PM »

Box of shame... shaaaaaaaaame! Waaagh!
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: August 26, 2020, 09:56:40 AM »

I think that I see it: the floor has a slight "bumpiness" to it that looks to me like the result of a faint normal-map. If that is it, then I think that it works well in this context.

Ah, neat! And I like that it has a dedicated animation to its use. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: August 26, 2020, 10:02:32 AM »

Box of shame... shaaaaaaaaame! Waaagh!

I have the tendency to insult the player. In "Spaß Taxi" I've initially called the easier (as in "not impossible") game mode "Kiddie mode". Smiley

I think that I see it: the floor has a slight "bumpiness" to it that looks to me like the result of a faint normal-map. If that is it, then I think that it works well in this context.

Yes, that's it. Of course it has two extra layers now: the normal map and the dirt layer.

Ah, neat! And I like that it has a dedicated animation to its use. ^_^

Yes, I find all possible ways to waste development time. ^_^

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 26, 2020, 02:15:14 PM »

Missed an opportunity to say you polished a turd Wink
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: August 26, 2020, 02:47:32 PM »

Missed an opportunity to say you polished a turd Wink

I will never tell anybody how long I've stared at it to make it the right amount of shiny and matte to get this juicy look. Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2020, 07:37:53 AM »

I have added a glow to the "eye triangle". I will keep this item like this for now. Maybe I will revisit it later when I don't like it anymore. Smiley

The glow is a shader with frontface culling on a sphere around the triangle.

In more important news: I've finished two working gear puzzles and am ready to give the tomb into internal testing. I'm (anxiously) looking forward to what the testers will say about it. ^^

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2020, 08:05:42 AM »

I like that glow! It looks good to me, and almost a little dreamy. ^_^

As to the other news, congratulations on reaching that milestone! I hope that testing goes very well! ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: August 29, 2020, 11:09:29 AM »

I like that glow! It looks good to me, and almost a little dreamy. ^_^

As to the other news, congratulations on reaching that milestone! I hope that testing goes very well! ^_^

Thank you! This &%$!%$ glow took way too much time, so it's at least nice to know that it is well received. Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: August 29, 2020, 11:10:54 AM »

Inserting magic triangles can lead to an irritated eye.

After chaning the look of the eye triangle inventory item, I updated the look of the inserted parts in the eye which just had a solid color before.

Here is a look at the different states of the eye after inserting your triangles. The eye veins get a bit more "active" with each part. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 29, 2020, 11:40:33 AM »

The creep factor keeps increasing Shocked
Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: August 30, 2020, 05:29:57 AM »

Love the sound effect of blinking. That's very creative. If someone had asked me what sound does a blinking eye make, I would have had hard time imagining something like this. Well done!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: August 31, 2020, 02:06:36 AM »

Very nice indeed! The triangles remain distinct and clearly-read, while the veins become visibly more pronounced without overwhelming the more-operative elements. It looks good, I feel! ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: August 31, 2020, 02:11:06 AM »

The creep factor keeps increasing Shocked

It's creeping higher. Smiley

Love the sound effect of blinking. That's very creative. If someone had asked me what sound does a blinking eye make, I would have had hard time imagining something like this. Well done!

I've recorded my own eye.
Just kidding. I've extracted those from a longer "squish" sound, because I wanted them to be juicy. Smiley

Very nice indeed! The triangles remain distinct and clearly-read, while the veins become visibly more pronounced without overwhelming the more-operative elements. It looks good, I feel! ^_^

Thank you! That is good to know.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: August 31, 2020, 03:48:26 AM »

I've built the tomb test version and tried it on my mini mac. The first (and second) impressions were: it crashed.
But after a while I was able to open the ingame menu and reduce the quality and resolution to make stuff appear on screen. It only runs at 20 frames on that old smol graphics hardware, so I'm trying to improve it now.

Some shaders stopped working as well on the mac, so I need to look into that as well. Sad

I found out that baking the direct lighting (and not just the indirect and shadows) is reducing the drawcalls by almost 50%. But using that mode produced new, terrible dark edges inbetween the modular walls which took me another 2 days to fix.

It made it necessary to export the mesh to a different format, create new lightmap UVs and tangents using Unity's importer and increase the lightmap resolution to 300% on those walls.

The good news is (if this works): The new lightmaps look nicer than the old ones.

Still 45 minutes to go until the lightmaps are finished baking. I'm really tempted to just increase the heat of the oven...

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: August 31, 2020, 04:40:21 AM »

I've built the tomb test version and tried it on my mini mac. The first (and second) impressions were: it crashed.

A good start. Tongue

Overall, oof, it sounds like it's been a difficult time getting it to work, and work well! But I'm glad that you seem to have made progress, indeed! ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: September 03, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »

"Darkness" is the name of the short story this game is roughly based on. Actually, there have been two games before this which were based on that story and funny enough this is the first to actually carry the name of it.

While I really liked the name and the logo, it's just too common. :|

So, some friends and I thought about this for quite some time. I had to find out that pretty much all the weird (but cool) word creations that I came up with were already in use for something (e.g. Sorrowway).
But after a while, we were able to think of something pretty unique (and I hope nice sounding) name. I have kept "Darkness" in the subtitle, so it's not completely lost.

Ok, without further ado, the new name of the game is...
revealed in this video: =P

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 04, 2020, 12:20:36 AM »

Nice! Works well as a teaser trailer too Smiley

I guess you'll update the logo in your signature after everyone clicked that video?  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic