Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:47:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36080 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: September 04, 2020, 12:54:41 AM »

Nice! Works well as a teaser trailer too Smiley
Thanks!

I guess you'll update the logo in your signature after everyone clicked that video?  Wink

Yes, that's the plan. Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 04, 2020, 02:17:10 AM »

Then I'll have to confirm that I too have watched the video. Smiley Good name and pretty logo!

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: September 04, 2020, 02:40:38 AM »

Then I'll have to confirm that I too have watched the video. Smiley Good name and pretty logo!

Thank you!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: September 04, 2020, 08:51:19 AM »

The new name seems like a good one to me! Evocative and somewhat memorable, I think. ^_^

And the art, both for the new title itself and in the video, is quite well done, I feel. ^_^

I might, however, be slightly sad that I will have to stop thinking of those old lyrics when I visit this thread: "Hello Darkness my old friend..." Tongue

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: September 04, 2020, 09:48:44 AM »

The new name seems like a good one to me! Evocative and somewhat memorable, I think. ^_^

And the art, both for the new title itself and in the video, is quite well done, I feel. ^_^
Thank you! Smiley

I might, however, be slightly sad that I will have to stop thinking of those old lyrics when I visit this thread: "Hello Darkness my old friend..." Tongue
I'm sorry to do this to you. Wink

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: September 04, 2020, 02:35:08 PM »

Mournway Mansion.. sounds solid.. ok for me Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: September 04, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »

Mournway Mansion.. sounds solid.. ok for me Smiley

Good to know. Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: September 05, 2020, 10:54:37 AM »

I have added signs to the doors. Most of the doors will be locked at the beginning.

There will be keys hidden in the house (or gained through puzzles) that have the same symbols. You will have a nice key ring in your inventory and can then pull out the right key for the locked door in front of you. Smiley

They have been a bit tricky as I didn't want to add a higher resolution sign to the door and work in the 1.0 resolution of my voxel world (where one voxel is 0.025m).
The keys will have a higher resolution, of course or the signs would only consist of two voxels. ^_^

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: September 07, 2020, 03:20:58 AM »

That looks like a good addition, and somewhat reminiscent of Resident Evil. ^_^

If I may ask, when using the keyring, will the player be required to manually select the correct key, or will it be automatically used?

Making distinct, interesting icons at that resolution seems like an interesting--and potentially frustrating--challenge!

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: September 07, 2020, 03:34:21 AM »

That looks like a good addition, and somewhat reminiscent of Resident Evil. ^_^

If I may ask, when using the keyring, will the player be required to manually select the correct key, or will it be automatically used?

Making distinct, interesting icons at that resolution seems like an interesting--and potentially frustrating--challenge!

They keyring will be an interesting inventory item. It's almost finished and I will upload a video soon.
When using the keyring from the inventory, you will use the currently selected key. You can enter the closeup of the keyring to flip through the keys and then use the selected one.

I have the option to simplify this (probably using the "simplify puzzles" option in the menu), so you are just using the keyring and the door will unlock/lock if the keyring contains the correct key. I will probably do that today. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: September 07, 2020, 04:57:22 AM »

They keyring will be an interesting inventory item. It's almost finished and I will upload a video soon.
When using the keyring from the inventory, you will use the currently selected key. You can enter the closeup of the keyring to flip through the keys and then use the selected one.

I have the option to simplify this (probably using the "simplify puzzles" option in the menu), so you are just using the keyring and the door will unlock/lock if the keyring contains the correct key. I will probably do that today. Smiley

Ah, very neat! It sounds like this is well-considered. ^_^

I would suggest making the simplification of the keyring an option separate from the simplification of puzzles: I can easily see someone wanting ease of use with the keys while nevertheless having difficult puzzles, or conversely wanting easy puzzles while still enjoying the immersive quality of picking out individual keys.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: September 07, 2020, 05:02:54 AM »

Ah, very neat! It sounds like this is well-considered. ^_^

I would suggest making the simplification of the keyring an option separate from the simplification of puzzles: I can easily see someone wanting ease of use with the keys while nevertheless having difficult puzzles, or conversely wanting easy puzzles while still enjoying the immersive quality of picking out individual keys.

When I wrote this, I myself wasn't sure if it was a good idea to put it into one option. Thanks for confirming this! Smiley

Will add another option.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: September 07, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »

Here's the key ring & its typical use in the game (hint: it involves a door) ^_^

After some unnecessary long midnight coding, I threw away the code & redid the "keys on a ring" layout code. Yes, it still has a variable called circusFactor...

Because I only have evenings and weekends, I tend to try to get something done and keep working until late at night. Especially coding gets pretty useless as my brain is already sleeping, but I keep going.
Code tends to get overly complicated as I try to add more and more stuff to fix misbehaviours instead of taking a step back and think about it.

Usually I'm doing the latter on the next day and throw away most of the stuff. This has happened here as well. The resulting code is a lot less complicated, but supports quick flipping through the keys in both directions, looping around and clicking on a key (which will pin it in place, while moving the other keys away).

As already mentioned, there will be an option to simplify this and being able to just use the whole key ring on a door. But I'm feeling that interactions like these are what makes my game special and it just feels good to play around with stuff like this in the game. Smiley

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: September 07, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »

Code tends to get overly complicated as I try to add more and more stuff to fix misbehaviours instead of taking a step back and think about it. Usually I'm doing the latter on the next day and throw away most of the stuff.

Know it very well. Anyway, vid looks great. Old school adventuring. Inventory with background fx is cool as well.  Cool

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: September 07, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »

Code tends to get overly complicated as I try to add more and more stuff to fix misbehaviours instead of taking a step back and think about it. Usually I'm doing the latter on the next day and throw away most of the stuff.

Know it very well. Anyway, vid looks great. Old school adventuring. Inventory with background fx is cool as well.  Cool

Thank you! Yeah, you'd think I would know by now and just go to bed, but... "There's just a tiny change missing to make this work..." Xd

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: September 08, 2020, 09:02:41 AM »

Here's the key ring & its typical use in the game (hint: it involves a door) ^_^

It looks pretty good, I think, and the flipping through keys pretty intuitive--at least based on the video. ^_^

Yeah, you'd think I would know by now and just go to bed, but... "There's just a tiny change missing to make this work..." Xd

This is a familiar feeling... ^^;

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: September 09, 2020, 11:34:36 AM »

It looks pretty good, I think, and the flipping through keys pretty intuitive--at least based on the video. ^_^

Yeah, you'd think I would know by now and just go to bed, but... "There's just a tiny change missing to make this work..." Xd

This is a familiar feeling... ^^;

Thanks! And It's at least good to know that I'm not alone in this. Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: September 11, 2020, 10:28:17 AM »

I have put a lot of (unplanned) work into the tomb obstacle course. A tester reported that it was boring to just have the same axes in a sequence, so I have added another obstacle. The rotating blade also makes it necessary to crawl at two points.
In addition, I've changed the way the random sequences of the axes are calculated. I ended up creating a new playlist class that contains patterns and each axe would grab the next item.
This was necessary as (although I randomized them) those axes would often end up having the same pattern (e.g. swing, swing, pause) in a row. Especially for low difficulty levels, where the sequence only has the length 4.

I think those changes improved the gameplay here quite a bit. And I hope that tester dies a lot now. Erm... I mean... has more fun going through it. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 12, 2020, 03:05:53 AM »

Aaah, I see that you subscribe to the "losing is fun" philosophy of game design Wink
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: September 12, 2020, 03:46:11 AM »

Aaah, I see that you subscribe to the "losing is fun" philosophy of game design Wink

:D

It's not very punishing and you can change the difficulty of that at ANY time. I just had a tester play it. He was challenged, but made it through. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic