Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1382193 Posts in 66019 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: ahomewki

September 19, 2020, 02:17:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion (formerly known as "Darkness") [1st person voxel adventure]
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion (formerly known as "Darkness") [1st person voxel adventure]  (Read 15114 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: September 13, 2020, 02:52:24 AM »

Ah, the old balance to strike between "boring" and "frustrating". ^^;

Well, the new horizontal blades and the modifications to the axe-timing seem like good changes, to me. ^_^

Traversal, exploration, puzzles, and combat in a heroic-fantasy setting
Website ~ Twitter
RealScaniX
Level 4

ScaniX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: September 14, 2020, 09:14:26 AM »

Just a little video showing the difference between the hard voxel look (caused by all normals pointing straight at x, y, or z direction) and the softer shading that I'm using for rounder objects.

It's hard to find the perfect spot between the hard look and completely losing the voxel look. But this is one of the things that has led to the look of "Mournway Mansion" that it has today and that I grew to like. I hope that players will do that as well. Smiley

PS: I am creating those videos to loop, but unfortunately you cannot tell youtube to loop it in the URL, or can you?

(click to make it move)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 12:31:16 PM by RealScaniX » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 14, 2020, 11:47:44 AM »

No, YT isn't the best host for that. IMGur secretly uses MP4 instead of GIF so you can upload your videos there maybe? And then a clickable link instead of trying to embed it
RealScaniX
Level 4

ScaniX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: September 14, 2020, 12:32:09 PM »

No, YT isn't the best host for that. IMGur secretly uses MP4 instead of GIF so you can upload your videos there maybe? And then a clickable link instead of trying to embed it

Yes, thanks. That is probably better (edited the original post). Would be cool if it was autoconverted to a gif. Should probably use GIFs for short loops in the future. Smiley

vdapps
Level 0

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: September 14, 2020, 12:46:49 PM »

Wow, neat! Gentleman

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 14, 2020, 01:04:23 PM »

Of course, imgur resizes your videos...

Another option you can try: get an account on https://neocities.org (it's like 5 dollars per month for 50 GiB of static hosting), upload the MP4 in your preferred format, link to it. Or similarly abuse https://pages.github.com/

Only downside is that everything you upload will be public
RealScaniX
Level 4

ScaniX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: September 14, 2020, 01:14:08 PM »

Of course, imgur resizes your videos...

Another option you can try: get an account on https://neocities.org (it's like 5 dollars per month for 50 GiB of static hosting), upload the MP4 in your preferred format, link to it. Or similarly abuse https://pages.github.com/

Only downside is that everything you upload will be public

I have webspace to upload stuff, but this forum doesn't show anything when linking to a video file. Just had that case with imgur. Needed to use the "thumbnail" version to have anything visible here.

Wow, neat! Gentleman

Thanks! Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: September 16, 2020, 08:10:14 AM »

I quite like the "soft" shading on objects like the fruit--and I don't think that it loses the impression of voxel-construction at all!

Traversal, exploration, puzzles, and combat in a heroic-fantasy setting
Website ~ Twitter
RealScaniX
Level 4

ScaniX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: September 16, 2020, 08:25:42 AM »

I quite like the "soft" shading on objects like the fruit--and I don't think that it loses the impression of voxel-construction at all!

That's reassuring, thanks! Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic