Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:20:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36145 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: September 13, 2020, 02:52:24 AM »

Ah, the old balance to strike between "boring" and "frustrating". ^^;

Well, the new horizontal blades and the modifications to the axe-timing seem like good changes, to me. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: September 14, 2020, 09:14:26 AM »

Just a little video showing the difference between the hard voxel look (caused by all normals pointing straight at x, y, or z direction) and the softer shading that I'm using for rounder objects.

It's hard to find the perfect spot between the hard look and completely losing the voxel look. But this is one of the things that has led to the look of "Mournway Mansion" that it has today and that I grew to like. I hope that players will do that as well. Smiley

PS: I am creating those videos to loop, but unfortunately you cannot tell youtube to loop it in the URL, or can you?

(click to make it move)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 12:31:16 PM by RealScaniX » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 14, 2020, 11:47:44 AM »

No, YT isn't the best host for that. IMGur secretly uses MP4 instead of GIF so you can upload your videos there maybe? And then a clickable link instead of trying to embed it
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: September 14, 2020, 12:32:09 PM »

No, YT isn't the best host for that. IMGur secretly uses MP4 instead of GIF so you can upload your videos there maybe? And then a clickable link instead of trying to embed it

Yes, thanks. That is probably better (edited the original post). Would be cool if it was autoconverted to a gif. Should probably use GIFs for short loops in the future. Smiley

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: September 14, 2020, 12:46:49 PM »

Wow, neat! Gentleman

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 14, 2020, 01:04:23 PM »

Of course, imgur resizes your videos...

Another option you can try: get an account on https://neocities.org (it's like 5 dollars per month for 50 GiB of static hosting), upload the MP4 in your preferred format, link to it. Or similarly abuse https://pages.github.com/

Only downside is that everything you upload will be public
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: September 14, 2020, 01:14:08 PM »

Of course, imgur resizes your videos...

Another option you can try: get an account on https://neocities.org (it's like 5 dollars per month for 50 GiB of static hosting), upload the MP4 in your preferred format, link to it. Or similarly abuse https://pages.github.com/

Only downside is that everything you upload will be public

I have webspace to upload stuff, but this forum doesn't show anything when linking to a video file. Just had that case with imgur. Needed to use the "thumbnail" version to have anything visible here.

Wow, neat! Gentleman

Thanks! Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: September 16, 2020, 08:10:14 AM »

I quite like the "soft" shading on objects like the fruit--and I don't think that it loses the impression of voxel-construction at all!

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: September 16, 2020, 08:25:42 AM »

I quite like the "soft" shading on objects like the fruit--and I don't think that it loses the impression of voxel-construction at all!

That's reassuring, thanks! Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: September 20, 2020, 05:05:37 AM »

I have redesigned the menu a bit and added thumbnails to the savegames.

The screenshot was taken in the construction bay, so at the bottom border you can still see a part of the title element. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: September 21, 2020, 02:19:28 AM »

Screenshots can be a really useful addition to a save-game mechanic, I think. And the UI here looks rather good, I feel! ^_^

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 21, 2020, 06:46:47 AM »

Yeah, very fitting for the atmosphere Smiley
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 21, 2020, 06:54:19 AM »

That screen looks great!

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: September 21, 2020, 07:26:06 AM »

Thank you, everyone! Smiley

I did some stuff in the background, like trying to improve performance using a new optimizer script to fade out lights, meshes and particle effects when they are far away or behind a wall.
I've already had my own scripts for fading out effects and lights based on distance, but I thought it could probably be even better to include the visibility.
Another thing that I tried was to add a script to the startup that checks the computer performance to switch to a lower quality if necessary. This should help to avoid the situation that I had on the mini mac where I started with 1 frame per MINUTE. ^^

Starting today, I will do more visual stuff again. I have more concrete ideas for the furniture in the living room and have already moved the window a bit to be able to add a divider wall.
I hope that I will be able to post first screenshots soon. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: September 22, 2020, 07:57:14 AM »

Sounds like solid progress, I think! ^_^

Ah, optimisation, that old bane. I hope that it goes well!

Are you visibility scripts helping thus far?

This should help to avoid the situation that I had on the mini mac where I started with 1 frame per MINUTE. ^^

Ouch, that is... painful. o_o

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: September 22, 2020, 09:28:02 AM »

I have just posted this to indieDB, thought I might as well have it here, too. Smiley

When looking at horror games, I see a few different formats out there:

Jumpscare annoyer
Contains suddenly appearing elements, often accompanied by unexplainable loud noise while having a rather trivial gameplay.

Hide & Seek
Half stealth game, half hide & seek. You wander around, looking for more or less useless things (like notes) while jumping into the closest wardrobe whenever a patroling monster appears. Might contain simple puzzles.

Psychological Horror
Your protagonist often wakes up without any memories and walks through an "unknown" place, while discovering stuff that slowly reminds him of what he has done. Also appears without the memory loss part (which is preferable). Can have puzzles.

Walking sim
Can be a "Dear Esther" with next to nothing to do but walk around while a narrative and environment builds the atmosphere and story or a "Gone Home" where there is lots of environmental storytelling and some mild interactions with the environment.

So, after explaining my take on those "genres"... What is "Mournway Mansion"?

As usual, it is a mix as seldom a modern game fits 100% into any genre (unless it's Call of Duty ^^).
I see it as an adventure game with some gameplay variations.

You play as a 13 year old boy who enters an abandoned house to look for a ball that some other boys have hidden there. This is a simple, but effective setup to make you look through the whole house and all containers. On your journey, you will find information about the boy who has lived there before and will be remembered of an event in your past that you are still trying to cope with.

While being a scary game at heart, there will be humorous elements like some comments from the boy (probably to distract himself from being scared).
There will be horror elements like weird sounds (not jumpscare sounds, just like... weird sounds in the distance or something like this), a weird shadow on the wall or some unexpected movement. These might be caused by the fantasy of a scared 13 year old, who is afraid of the dark or might be caused by something that stayed back in the house.

There won't be any game over or real "death" here and you will never be chased around by a monster.
The basis is a first person adventure game with an inventory, finding and combining items with the environment and each other. You will also encounter some puzzles that you mostly solve directly in the environment by moving around stuff (but still different than those physics puzzles).

It also contains a bit of environment traversal like (deadly) obstacles in one place or "climbing" and crouching to reach certain places. I like this as it strengthens the feeling to "really be there" in my opinion a bit more than solving a puzzle and having a camera flight taking you to new places.

I also have minigames for the fights and other (partly optional) scenes. They play very different from the rest of the game and bring another portion of variety to the gameplay.

What do you think the genre of a game like this would be?

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2020, 01:09:02 PM »

Intriguing for me! Noir

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 23, 2020, 02:50:53 AM »

I would go with "Adventure".

Also, maybe this is just me but I personally associate "horror" more with jump-scares, blood and gore. I don't think it's the best label for the "scary ghost stories" genre, which I feel is closer to the mood here. Again, just my association with the label

EDIT: "Mystery" might also be appropriate?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 02:56:33 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: September 23, 2020, 03:44:08 AM »

Thanks!

Yes, I'm also afraid people will expect a jumpgory game when they read "horror". Which is... kinda sad actually.

How about... "Myscary Adventure"? :D

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 23, 2020, 03:50:49 AM »

Cheesy

... probably too phonetically close to miscarriage though  Concerned

You can use multiple tags on Steam and such, no? How about using "Scary" and "Mystery" and "Adventure" as separate labels? That also makes it easier for your game to be found by algorithms looking for those keywords
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic