Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:33:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 35892 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2020, 04:33:17 AM »

Cheesy

... probably too phonetically close to miscarriage though  Concerned

You can use multiple tags on Steam and such, no? How about using "Scary" and "Mystery" and "Adventure" as separate labels? That also makes it easier for your game to be found by algorithms looking for those keywords

I was just kidding (probably? you never know with these gamedevs).
Those three tags indeed look like good ones to use.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: September 23, 2020, 09:54:07 AM »

As to the description given, it sounds quite engaging, I think! I like what you've described there. ^_^

As to the choice of genre, there is a pitfall here, I fear: the genre-label "adventure" has at least two meanings. Specifically, it may refer to point-and-click adventures, or to Zelda-like action-and-exploration games.

That said, I think that I would classify your game as a first-person point-and-click adventure. There's precedent for this, I think: the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games were just such a thing, allowing first-person exploration for point-and-click gameplay.

As to the term horror, I would definitely call what you have here a horror game; to me, the horror genre is not at all limited to jump-scares, blood, and gore.

However, there is a caveat here: I do see a difference between horror games, which are intended to outright scare, and horror-themed games, which share the trappings but not the fear.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 23, 2020, 11:16:07 AM »

There's also Normality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normality_(video_game)

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2020, 04:18:57 PM »

As to the description given, it sounds quite engaging, I think! I like what you've described there. ^_^

As to the choice of genre, there is a pitfall here, I fear: the genre-label "adventure" has at least two meanings. Specifically, it may refer to point-and-click adventures, or to Zelda-like action-and-exploration games.

That said, I think that I would classify your game as a first-person point-and-click adventure. There's precedent for this, I think: the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games were just such a thing, allowing first-person exploration for point-and-click gameplay.

As to the term horror, I would definitely call what you have here a horror game; to me, the horror genre is not at all limited to jump-scares, blood, and gore.

However, there is a caveat here: I do see a difference between horror games, which are intended to outright scare, and horror-themed games, which share the trappings but not the fear.

Hey, thank you for your view on this! Smiley
I think I would not go for "point-and-click" here. I did an first-person adventure in the past where I used this term, but other than in the classical games (and in my former game), the interaction is not restricted to pointing and clicking. It's used in the inventory and for some switches for sure, but manipulating the environment is a bit more physical than chosing a verb and clicking on a target. I think "point-and-click" would evoke the wrong expectation here.

There's also Normality:

Oh, I remember Normality. It was awesome, something very special. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: September 25, 2020, 08:20:28 AM »

Hey, thank you for your view on this! Smiley

It's my pleasure. ^_^

I think I would not go for "point-and-click" here. I did an first-person adventure in the past where I used this term, but other than in the classical games (and in my former game), the interaction is not restricted to pointing and clicking. It's used in the inventory and for some switches for sure, but manipulating the environment is a bit more physical than chosing a verb and clicking on a target. I think "point-and-click" would evoke the wrong expectation here.

That's fair. Perhaps something like "puzzle-adventure", then.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: September 26, 2020, 10:18:56 AM »

This is the new wallpaper (and "ceilingpaper" ^^) for the boy's room.
I made the stars a bit emissive, so you will still see them when going further away, building a starry sky.

Initially, I wanted to add a lot more furniture to the room and get the gameplay going as this is one of the first rooms that the player enters. But after fixing the build (that was broken by an "optimization" script) and something else for hours, there was no time left. Sad

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2020, 12:04:51 PM »

As someone who had glow-in-the-dark stars on his wall as a kid I love this Smiley
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: September 27, 2020, 12:55:35 AM »

As someone who had glow-in-the-dark stars on his wall as a kid I love this Smiley

Oh, cool. I would have loved this as a kid, too.

And it looks better in the game than in the video, promise! Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: September 28, 2020, 03:28:32 AM »

That does look pretty cool, especially with the emissive stars! ^_^

I'm sorry to read that technical troubles postponed work on the things that you wanted to work on--that can be a frustrating experience, I fear! :/

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: September 28, 2020, 05:54:32 AM »

That does look pretty cool, especially with the emissive stars! ^_^

I'm sorry to read that technical troubles postponed work on the things that you wanted to work on--that can be a frustrating experience, I fear! :/

Yes, that was pretty frustrating. I had the plan to build lots of things on saturday and chill on sunday. But then I tried to get the build back to running (ended up with restoring an old backup as there seemed to be no other way) and fix some other thing (that was totally unnecessary, but I was stubborn ^^). So the day ended with pretty much nothing.
I decided to do some work on Sunday, so I have some shelves etc. in the room now at least.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: September 28, 2020, 08:24:35 AM »

I've been in similar positions, I believe, and 'tis not fun; scrambling to fix something, running late, and when you'd wanted to use the time for something else, too. Well, I'm glad that you seem to have come through it!

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: September 28, 2020, 11:36:58 AM »

Yes, I'm back to adding stuff. I have a headache today, so I only did some relaxing pixeling. Smiley

I need lots of stuff to add some details to the kid's room. Here is the comic cover that I did today.

It's Cthulhy! Smol hero with 8 arms... erm... legs? Whatever.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 28, 2020, 11:37:46 AM »

awww Kiss

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 28, 2020, 11:43:28 AM »

Adorbs
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: September 29, 2020, 07:28:22 AM »

Cthuly is cute, and I'm glad of relaxing pixelling. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: October 02, 2020, 03:56:46 AM »

It's not a spooky game until you get locked in somewhere...  Shocked

This does actually serve a gameplay purpose, though. One of the most important game items is in this room and the door will unlock when you pick it up. This way I can avoid that players run all over the place to find out what to do next.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 02, 2020, 04:23:11 AM »

Wait, what was that at 4 seconds? Who, Me?
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: October 02, 2020, 05:15:23 AM »

Nice work! I'm looking forward for release! And I have some questions:

- what you expect game play time will be on one run ? - I'm asking as I prefer shorter game times, as I can't play too much. Main job + my indie projects keep me busy.
- have you some estimation when Steam page with wishlist go live? Game looks attractive, should gather lot of wishlist additions.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: October 02, 2020, 06:44:28 AM »

Wait, what was that at 4 seconds? Who, Me?

The bed. It's the kid's bed and play room after all. Smiley

Nice work! I'm looking forward for release! And I have some questions:

- what you expect game play time will be on one run ? - I'm asking as I prefer shorter game times, as I can't play too much. Main job + my indie projects keep me busy.
I know that problem. ^^
I love RPGs and stuff, but I am so relieved when a game only takes a few hours to complete. :D
I'm afraid MM won't be super long. It depends of course how fast you are solving the riddles, but it has very little playtime generating content (like travel times, repeated fighting, repeated puzzle types/levels etc.) and will be more or less linear.
I cannot tell you something concrete now, though. There is a lot that is completely missing yet.

- have you some estimation when Steam page with wishlist go live? Game looks attractive, should gather lot of wishlist additions.
Thank you! I won't do the same mistake again and will launch the steam page in time for this game. Smiley
As a matter of fact, I've already bought it and started working on it. I need to produce lots of images etc., so it takes some time. I will be online soon, though.
I expect at least one more year development time, so it should be early enough. Smiley

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: October 02, 2020, 12:37:20 PM »

So, I'm looking forward to see MM on Steam. Smiley

I know that from your, developer's perspective you would like to have tons of unique gameplay. But from my perspective, as a player with not lot of free time, short but intensive experience, it's ideal. Gentleman

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic