Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:53:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36147 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: October 03, 2020, 01:28:10 AM »

So, I'm looking forward to see MM on Steam. Smiley

I know that from your, developer's perspective you would like to have tons of unique gameplay. But from my perspective, as a player with not lot of free time, short but intensive experience, it's ideal. Gentleman

Noted. Smiley

And then there's the "I've paid 3 dollars and it's only 10 hours long?" player...  Wink

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: October 03, 2020, 04:32:01 AM »

Yeah, I know. But, IMO, 3 bucks for 10h of nice experience is totally ok, I would say, it's still low price, especially in case of such special visuals. There's not lot of such voxel games. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 04:09:44 AM by vdapps » Logged

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: October 03, 2020, 07:45:15 AM »

A good "locked door" spook should be effective, I think. ^_^

As to the length of the game, I think that like both longer and shorter games. (Even though I don't have as much time as once I did, I do also like having something that I can pick away at for some time.) Primarily, I think that I want a given game to have the length appropriate to that game: not so long that it feels padded (or worse, grindy), and not so short that it feels rushed.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: October 03, 2020, 12:34:21 PM »

A good "locked door" spook should be effective, I think. ^_^

As to the length of the game, I think that like both longer and shorter games. (Even though I don't have as much time as once I did, I do also like having something that I can pick away at for some time.) Primarily, I think that I want a given game to have the length appropriate to that game: not so long that it feels padded (or worse, grindy), and not so short that it feels rushed.

I couldn't agree more. Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 09, 2020, 03:14:19 AM »

Agree too! Gomez

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 09, 2020, 06:28:59 AM »

And then there's the "I've paid 3 dollars and it's only 10 hours long?" player...  Wink
People like that don't deserve you Wink
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: October 09, 2020, 07:54:52 AM »

Hehe, thank you! Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: January 16, 2021, 02:40:31 AM »

Well, yeah... I'm still kinda alive. ^^

I took a looong break and played more than doing gamedev. Then I did a gamejam (https://itch.io/jam/redefine-2021) to get back into it and it helped a little. You can see the gamejam version in the second half of the video.

Now I have started working on MM again by adding the gamejam puzzle to it in a new lightworld (Futura), which will be some sort of labyrinth with puzzles. It could symbolize the protagonist's struggles to find a way out of the current situation.

I need to find a schedule where I can play and do gamedev, so those breaks won't repeat too often. XD

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: January 16, 2021, 05:31:06 AM »

It's good to see you back at this. Welcome back to game-dev! ^_^

That's a nice effect on the walls of your jam-game. The puzzle itself looks neat, and the sound effect are rather pleasant to listen to, I find. ^_^

As to gaming-gamedev schedules, indeed, that can be tricky. Still, I do think that it's likely a good idea to set aside at least some time for leisure (such as gaming).

a-k-
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 16, 2021, 05:49:29 AM »

I'm not into 3D or voxels but the graphics here is exceptionally inviting! (ignoring all those axes for a moment...)

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: January 16, 2021, 09:55:36 AM »

I'm not into 3D or voxels but the graphics here is exceptionally inviting! (ignoring all those axes for a moment...)

Thank you! Smiley

It's good to see you back at this. Welcome back to game-dev! ^_^

That's a nice effect on the walls of your jam-game. The puzzle itself looks neat, and the sound effect are rather pleasant to listen to, I find. ^_^

Thank you! Good to be back! Smiley
The puzzle was hard to "convert", because the voxel resolution is a lot lower than the pixel resolution of the gamejam game. Good to know that I somehow succeeded.

As to gaming-gamedev schedules, indeed, that can be tricky. Still, I do think that it's likely a good idea to set aside at least some time for leisure (such as gaming).

Yes, I will. Only work and no fun is making me want to break out after a few months.  Xd

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 16, 2021, 01:38:11 PM »

Hey, welcome back! Glad to see an update, this is one of the more unique-looking games that I'm hyped for Smiley

The puzzle looks like a fun addition
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: January 16, 2021, 02:53:40 PM »

Ohhoo, happy to see you back! Welcome! Gomez

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: January 16, 2021, 04:22:34 PM »

Hey, welcome back! Glad to see an update, this is one of the more unique-looking games that I'm hyped for Smiley

The puzzle looks like a fun addition

Ohhoo, happy to see you back! Welcome! Gomez

Hey, thank you very much! Smiley
Good to see that you are both still around, too.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: January 18, 2021, 12:24:12 PM »

The first step for the wastebasket, a searchable container that will appear 4 or 5 times in the house.

The trash (placeholders for now) is picked from a list of predefined prefabs and is randomly positioned in the basket and stores the random seed, so it's the same next time.
When picking it up, the elements are "thrown out" until you find the item that was hiding beneath it (coming up next).
This is done by setting a random velocity to the body (which was asleep before) and shortly afterwards activate the colliders, so it collides with the floor and other items, which was disabled inside as I will allow some overlapping to get that extra messy look. Smiley

Having such a container makes it possible for me to have a reoccurring item that is a bit more fun than to look through a drawer, in my humble opinion.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 18, 2021, 01:25:49 PM »

It feels a bit like the things spontaneously jump out now, but I assume you're going for "frantically digging", right? Maybe it works better if you make the stuff jump to the left and right of the POV, alternating. As if we're digging with our left/right hand
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: January 18, 2021, 02:20:58 PM »

It feels a bit like the things spontaneously jump out now, but I assume you're going for "frantically digging", right? Maybe it works better if you make the stuff jump to the left and right of the POV, alternating. As if we're digging with our left/right hand

Mmh... you might have a point there. Thank you!
I wasn't really going for "realistic", but maybe it's a good idea to not drop anything to the front (where the player is) and more to the left/right (like you said) and maybe a bit to the back. Will try this out. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 18, 2021, 02:42:46 PM »

Well, it wouldn't stand out as much in other games, but this one is set in a haunted mansion so I think players might mistakenly think the trash can is haunted if it doesn't feel like a player action Cheesy
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: January 18, 2021, 04:00:58 PM »

Well, it wouldn't stand out as much in other games, but this one is set in a haunted mansion so I think players might mistakenly think the trash can is haunted if it doesn't feel like a player action Cheesy

:D

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 19, 2021, 02:57:26 AM »

Welcome back! Coffee

Will skip puzzle video to avoid spoilers to things I want to solve myself, but the waste bin is neat! I feel like I still don't have a 100% grasp on what this game is about and that intrigues me, seems like it's going to be really interesting to explore. Kiss

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic