Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 03:32:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36149 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: January 19, 2021, 03:44:11 AM »

Welcome back! Coffee

Thanks! Smiley

Will skip puzzle video to avoid spoilers to things I want to solve myself, but the waste bin is neat! I feel like I still don't have a 100% grasp on what this game is about and that intrigues me, seems like it's going to be really interesting to explore. Kiss

Tell me when you have that 100% grasp, so I have someone to ask. Xd

I'm going for a mix of exploration, adventure gameplay and puzzles. The main location is the house, but there are other places that seem to be less real as if they have been built by someone or something just for you. Wink

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 19, 2021, 04:09:34 AM »

Oooh..!! Shocked

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: January 19, 2021, 07:09:55 AM »

I do like that wastebasket container: I do think that it's a little more interesting than a simple drawer, and the animation looks good indeed! ^_^

alejandroloera
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: January 19, 2021, 08:38:56 PM »

Woa this is genuinely interesting. I love the aesthetic of voxels and I think they go really well with horror somehow. It's nice to see something really catch my eye on this site! Not that you asked for it but if you ever need help with sound effects or music I'd love to help! Anyways, I look forward to seeing the finished product

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: January 20, 2021, 01:41:54 AM »

Woa this is genuinely interesting. I love the aesthetic of voxels and I think they go really well with horror somehow. It's nice to see something really catch my eye on this site! Not that you asked for it but if you ever need help with sound effects or music I'd love to help! Anyways, I look forward to seeing the finished product

Hey, thank you very much. I'm glad that the looks of the game are appreciated. As is your comment. Smiley

I think there are lots of great games on this site. It took me forever to find this place, but it's great.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: January 20, 2021, 09:30:34 AM »

Yup! I like the animation better now. Is this what you had in mind, @JobLeonard? Smiley

The next steps will be: Adding sounds and the real trash, then adding the found item.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 20, 2021, 09:39:20 AM »

Yeah, that conveys player action much better imo! Nice work! Grin
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: January 21, 2021, 09:07:22 AM »

Yeah, that does look really good, and an improvement over the last, I think. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: January 23, 2021, 06:38:09 AM »

And it is kinda done now.
The trash is generated from 4 types of trash items with different probabilities.
Shortly after ejecting each item, the physical body is enabled to get physics and collisions with the furniture.
Also the found item is instantiated and then picked up using the normal pick up interaction as if you had just found it sitting there.

To get the random left/right throw animation I created 3 points in a circle per layer of trash (depending on the diameter set for the trash item, there are N layers generated) and all trash items are bundled according to the closest of those points. Then those are sorted using the x coordinate in view space. Afterwards the array is "interleaved" (meaning: leftmost, rightmost, 2nd from left, 2nd from right, ...), so the left/right alternation is created with some nice randomness to it because of the random position of the 3 bundle points in each layer.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 23, 2021, 07:17:20 AM »

DEAD OR ALIVE

Cool

Very nice end-result. Nice technical solution for the throw animation too! Smiley
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: January 23, 2021, 12:48:57 PM »

DEAD OR ALIVE

Cool

Very nice end-result. Nice technical solution for the throw animation too! Smiley

Hehe, thank you! :D

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: January 25, 2021, 03:47:15 AM »

That is a rather satisfying animation (you do seem to have a knack for those, I think), and a clever implementation, by the sounds of it. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: January 25, 2021, 04:39:31 AM »

That is a rather satisfying animation (you do seem to have a knack for those, I think), and a clever implementation, by the sounds of it. ^_^

Hey, thank you very much! I like doing these types of animations that have some dynamic or randomness (or both) to it, but it usually takes more time than I had planned. Xd

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: January 25, 2021, 07:21:37 AM »

It seems to me that pretty much all of game-dev takes more time than we planned. ;P

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 25, 2021, 08:45:12 AM »

All programming in general, I'd say Cheesy / Cry
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: January 25, 2021, 09:27:17 AM »

We are cursed!  Waaagh!

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: January 26, 2021, 02:13:18 PM »

I will add more tools to the drawer of the cellar workbench. Tools like the hammer or the pliers will be useful, but others might not.
I'm trying to add interesting interactions even if the action itself is useless or optional. The game will have a scary, but also a humorous side. Although some of it might just be an attempt of the boy to make himself feel better in his current situation. Smiley

Another animation done by code as I need to consider all the possible positions of the player and the tool (the drawer can be more or less opened). Some sounds will be added later.
I have also added the pliers (as my first animated inventory item, yay!) and using them will be the next little interaction scene.

By the way: I admire Thaumaturge and others for their great dev logs, posting at a certain frequency with a summary of recent progress. Maybe I will attempt that approach, too. Sometimes I like to post my stuff in smaller chunks, though. What do you think?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 27, 2021, 12:43:27 AM »

Looks good! Cheesy As for how to devlog, I think you should just do what you're comfortable with, but do experiment if you want. I'm enjoying the log so far anyhow! c:

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: January 27, 2021, 01:26:51 AM »

Looks good! Cheesy As for how to devlog, I think you should just do what you're comfortable with, but do experiment if you want. I'm enjoying the log so far anyhow! c:

Hey, thanks! That's good to know. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 27, 2021, 02:16:16 AM »

Humor and scary go very well together Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic