Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:25:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36082 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: February 03, 2021, 10:21:46 AM »

There could be an international language to define adventure gameplay, though. Used by multiple engines then. Smiley

But is that not what Ink, at least, is? After all, it's middleware, and so can presumably be slotted into another engine. One should be able to use it with Unity, or Panda3D, or Unreal, etc...

(In fact, the website for Ink even mentions Unity integration.)

I'm not sure about Twine, offhand. I feel like I may have heard of it being used with non-interactive-fiction games--but I might be mixing it up with Ink, or some other thing.

Ah, alright. I'm not too familiar with Ink, thought it would be the same as the rest as I have played a game done with Ink once (at least I think so).

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: February 04, 2021, 09:42:20 AM »

Ah, alright. I'm not too familiar with Ink, thought it would be the same as the rest as I have played a game done with Ink once (at least I think so).

Ah, fair enough! And in all fairness, I don't think that I've used Ink myself--I'm mainly going by what I've heard (I think), and what I've read (such as on the website for Ink).

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: February 06, 2021, 04:09:38 AM »

Here is the final interaction to repair the key. After retrieving the head and bottom part of the key from "somewhere", you need to reunite them.
You can put the head or bottom into the bench vice. If you use one item while its counterpart is already there, he will swap them (seen in the video). You can also just use the bench vice to open it and retrieve the part again (or just uselessly open and close it without putting anything into it). Unless you have already applied the glue, then he will not remove the part anymore. You can use the key parts on the counterpart directly or the bench vice to glue them together. You can also use the glue on the key part or the bench vice to add it to the part. Those are some special cases to make it easier for the player.
Those are some of the cases that I need to check for this puzzle, I'm planning on doing a post with all of them in the future, but not today. The text on the red bull can didn't tell me that it will give me some energy yesterday, but leave me broken today. Xd

The sounds have been the last thing that I have added here. I've remixed some stuff for the bench vice that will be played in different pitch and volume depending on the movment speed of it. The bench vice is randomly opened to a certain degree. Sometimes up to 80%, sometimes 90%, after glueing only to 40-50%. This dynamic behaviour makes it impossible to prepare the full sound in advance.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 06, 2021, 04:45:09 AM »

The reverb really sells the "alone in a dark mansion"
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: February 06, 2021, 05:00:49 AM »

Super cool, I love the attention to detail. The slow movement, dark shadows and the sound effects that imply we are listening closely make a great atmosphere, like waiting for something bad to happen.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: February 06, 2021, 08:51:49 AM »

Thank you, both! Smiley

Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: February 06, 2021, 06:03:31 PM »

The animation and sounds work really well together Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: February 07, 2021, 02:38:20 AM »

The animation and sounds work really well together Smiley

Thank you! Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: February 07, 2021, 03:20:27 AM »

The examine closeup wasn't properly disabled for the key part that is stuck in the door. This might break the immersion a little...  Huh?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 07, 2021, 10:30:59 AM »

Cheesy

It's like that scene from Roger Rabbit. Just a sec... this one!

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: February 07, 2021, 01:49:47 PM »

Cheesy

It's like that scene from Roger Rabbit. Just a sec... this one!

Hehe, yeah. ^^

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: February 08, 2021, 02:40:00 AM »

Here is the final interaction to repair the key. ...

There is some really good animation animation there--I continue to be impressed at your animations--and some impressive reactivity! ^_^

I do salute the effort that goes into crafting all of that, and the final result too! ^_^

The examine closeup wasn't properly disabled for the key part that is stuck in the door. This might break the immersion a little...

"Nope, I can't take it out. Not at all. Never. Impossible!" Tongue

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: February 08, 2021, 04:27:02 AM »

Here is the final interaction to repair the key. ...

There is some really good animation animation there--I continue to be impressed at your animations--and some impressive reactivity! ^_^

I do salute the effort that goes into crafting all of that, and the final result too! ^_^

Thank you very much! Good to know that the time wasn't completely wasted. Smiley

The examine closeup wasn't properly disabled for the key part that is stuck in the door. This might break the immersion a little...

"Nope, I can't take it out. Not at all. Never. Impossible!" Tongue

:D

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: February 08, 2021, 06:10:08 AM »

I have added sparkles (like in a hidden object game) for objects that might be overlooked. The sparkes go away after the player interacted with it.
I'm also thinking about a delay, so they are starting to show up after a certain play time.

I've drawn a little sprite sheet animation for this and used a standard particle system with a sub emitter for it.

This is also a first step in a total remake of the tutorial of the game. The current scene is packed with hint texts in a room that you can freely examine. I don't like this approach anymore and want to add a short sequence before that which will teach you the interactions one at a time.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 08, 2021, 06:16:23 AM »

That looks good!

I can't logically explain why, but somehow it feels like you should only see the sparkle when you don't move the player. Like it's a "take a moment to take a look around" kind of thing or something
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: February 08, 2021, 06:21:09 AM »

That looks good!

Thanks!

I can't logically explain why, but somehow it feels like you should only see the sparkle when you don't move the player. Like it's a "take a moment to take a look around" kind of thing or something

Mmh... I took a moment to think about this. It might lead to a weird gameplay, don't you think? The player would walk a bit, then stop to look around for something, then walk a bit again...
I don't think I want to add this kind of mechanic to the game. But thanks for the suggestion! Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 08, 2021, 07:26:03 AM »

Yeah, I also think it would be annoying, kind of like how Resident Evil 1 controls were horrible but considered a feature by the fans. I should have been more clear about that - the comment was more intended to provoke ideas about how this could work.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: February 08, 2021, 07:52:31 AM »

Hmm... I'll confess that I'm not sure that I'm a huge fan of the particle effect, myself. It feels a little... busy, perhaps.

As an alternative suggestion, what about a single glint/starburst, as seen in various survival horror games?

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: February 08, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »

Hmm... I'll confess that I'm not sure that I'm a huge fan of the particle effect, myself. It feels a little... busy, perhaps.

As an alternative suggestion, what about a single glint/starburst, as seen in various survival horror games?

I admit that I added that sub emitter partially just to see how it works. ^^
Effects like these usually change over time. Stuff that I still like even after weeks or months is considered good, while other stuff gets change around a lot. Special effects like these are usually a lot stronger in the beginning, because I like the effect and want to see lots of it. After a while I tend to tune them down a bit.
Thanks for your input! Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: February 08, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »

I admit that I added that sub emitter partially just to see how it works. ^^
Effects like these usually change over time. Stuff that I still like even after weeks or months is considered good, while other stuff gets change around a lot. Special effects like these are usually a lot stronger in the beginning, because I like the effect and want to see lots of it. After a while I tend to tune them down a bit.
Thanks for your input! Smiley

That's all very fair! And ultimately, it's more important that you like or dislike the effect than that any one of us does, I feel.

I am interested to see how this effect develops! ^_^

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic