Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:38:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 35894 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: February 15, 2021, 02:23:29 AM »

I have now added a log that collects all the player interactions (so players can send it to me for statistics or to reproduce errors) and also a debug function to show it on screen.

That's a neat idea--and indeed, one that seems like it might be useful when hunting down bugs.

It's totally boring. XD

Not so! I found it interesting, especially with the addition of the action-log. ^_^

Also, I do like some of the responses that you have in your game--of the ones that I don't think that I'd seen, I was amused by the "getting high on glue" response. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: February 15, 2021, 04:10:04 AM »

Thank you! Those messages are a curse and a blessing. As seen before, it's super easy to add those messages by just adding some lines to my messages file (including conditions and alternatives).
The downside is that I'm producing a lot of them.
While translating them will be fine, I was originally planning on getting a voice over for the game and the number of messages reached 666 a few days ago. :D

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 15, 2021, 05:51:15 AM »

How dare you add so much content to your game.

I was originally planning on getting a voice over for the game and the number of messages reached 666 a few days ago.
I dunno, especially with inner dialogue I kinda like just having subtitles
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: February 15, 2021, 06:05:37 AM »

How dare you add so much content to your game.

I was originally planning on getting a voice over for the game and the number of messages reached 666 a few days ago.
I dunno, especially with inner dialogue I kinda like just having subtitles

That's a valid point. I still have time to decide this anyway.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: February 15, 2021, 07:28:40 AM »

While translating them will be fine, I was originally planning on getting a voice over for the game and the number of messages reached 666 a few days ago. :D

Ah, yeah: voice-acting is the bane of sprawling game-responses, I fear. :/

I mean, if you can get voice-acting for everything, then it's likely to be a benefit to the game.

But--and speaking only from my own, personal preferences--I'd much rather see a plethora of responses than hear voice-acting, I do think. I'd rather read and have a richer experience than hear and be stuck with a handful of lines, to hyperbolise a bit.

Of course, there's always the possibility of selective voice-acting: of having voiced lines for only lines that are particularly important, or that are spoken aloud, or that come from other characters, for example.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: February 15, 2021, 07:37:10 AM »

Hey, thanks for your inputs, you two.

I agree that voice acting should not reduce the variety of responses. Selective voice acting is probably a good way to do it. I am only planning very few dialogs with others, so I could reduce the voice acting to those.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: February 15, 2021, 10:14:54 AM »

That sounds like a pretty good plan, I think. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: February 21, 2021, 04:57:57 AM »

I'm trying to make the pictures on the wall more interesting/spooky as they are useful to fill up some space on the wall. :slight_smile:
They can behave like windows into a scene or a bit different, so you can actually look at the depicted thing from all angles.

I can also animate thoses scenes later. I will probably also hide something in those scenes... Wink

As you can see, I am jumping between stuff a lot. I've also tried to "really finish" some things like the wardrobe portal puzzle. I have made a bit of progress there, but it is kinda hard to concentrate on one thing at the moment, because I have so many elements I could work on. :|

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 21, 2021, 11:50:56 AM »

That's really cool, but tbh if I came across something like the painting on the right I would no longer think of it as a painting and expect it to be some magical thing which has some special meaning.
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: February 21, 2021, 12:14:01 PM »

I see. This is just an example. I found it cool to show a building on one picture and the inside on another. Smiley

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: February 21, 2021, 12:57:07 PM »

I love the idea of that. I have the feeling that you could get some very spooky atmosphere by reducing the effect to something small like only the eyes of a character. I know this is a bit of a cliche and I am sure you can come up with something more unique. I guess it could work great if the players wonder whether they imagined things or if that image really moved. Maybe you could also turn the effect on and off while the player is not watching. But that's just my two cents and my head spinning because of that cool effect, well done Wink

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: February 21, 2021, 04:02:00 PM »

I love the idea of that. I have the feeling that you could get some very spooky atmosphere by reducing the effect to something small like only the eyes of a character. I know this is a bit of a cliche and I am sure you can come up with something more unique. I guess it could work great if the players wonder whether they imagined things or if that image really moved. Maybe you could also turn the effect on and off while the player is not watching. But that's just my two cents and my head spinning because of that cool effect, well done Wink

Thank you very much! Smiley

Some less noticable movement would be cool. I also thought about something that only happens once, so when the player tries to reproduce it, he will wonder if it ever happened. ^^
Also I wanted to have a character that you can see in a picture first and who will be gone afterwards and appear in the real world. Or appears in pictures after you have met him. There are numerous funny/spooky ideas for pictures.
In the the first 3d version of this (like... 20 years ago) there was an image that switched to a bloody version of itself after you looked at it for a while. I have Look-At-Triggers, so I could do that again. Smiley

I already had some other effects for pictures like a glowing color and an image variant that you can only see from the corner of your eye (which can be barely seen in this video):

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: February 22, 2021, 02:00:23 AM »

Interesting...

I'm not quite sure of how I feel about the interior shot. It is quite striking, and I might find myself wondering whether I was supposed to interact with that space in some way.

But then, maybe that uncertainty is a feature, not a bug?

It does seem like you have other ideas, and I think that some neat things could be done with this, so I'm interested to see where it goes! ^_^

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: February 22, 2021, 04:39:55 AM »

In the the first 3d version of this (like... 20 years ago) there was an image that switched to a bloody version of itself after you looked at it for a while. I have Look-At-Triggers, so I could do that again. Smiley

I am sure you as well as the players will have a lot of fun with that Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: February 22, 2021, 06:10:36 AM »

I hope so. Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: February 22, 2021, 06:13:39 AM »

Interesting...

I'm not quite sure of how I feel about the interior shot. It is quite striking, and I might find myself wondering whether I was supposed to interact with that space in some way.

But then, maybe that uncertainty is a feature, not a bug?
It isn't more uncertain than any other item in the world. Before you go over and hover it, you don't know what action you can perform. I think it is the same in your game? Smiley

It does seem like you have other ideas, and I think that some neat things could be done with this, so I'm interested to see where it goes! ^_^

Although I have said somewhere that there could be buttons inside of it, I don't think that I actually like that idea that much. I will probably hide hints inside of it, but it will be what it looks like: A picture, like those 3D effect pictures that we all know.
I might add different kinds of spooks to them, but no complex interactions, I think.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: February 22, 2021, 07:58:48 AM »

It isn't more uncertain than any other item in the world. Before you go over and hover it, you don't know what action you can perform. I think it is the same in your game? Smiley

I mean that I might find myself wondering whether I should be looking for a way to "enter" the picture, or to "reach into" it, I imagine. Since there's this whole anomalous space present, it might seem important, and like a potential location in which to find interactions.

Although I have said somewhere that there could be buttons inside of it, I don't think that I actually like that idea that much. I will probably hide hints inside of it, but it will be what it looks like: A picture, like those 3D effect pictures that we all know.
I might add different kinds of spooks to them, but no complex interactions, I think.

That's fair. And indeed, possibly for the better!

(Especially the spooks. Spooks are for the better. ;P)

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 22, 2021, 01:43:10 PM »

Creeeepy Shocked The 3D effect is great too. Bit surprised to see non-voxelly pictures in the last video, are they placeholders or meant to be like that for effect?

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: February 22, 2021, 03:33:16 PM »

Creeeepy Shocked The 3D effect is great too. Bit surprised to see non-voxelly pictures in the last video, are they placeholders or meant to be like that for effect?

Well, even in voxel games, you often have pixel art. It's just flat voxel art. If that is what you meant. ^^
In a picture, it cannot really be anything else. Actually, those voxel scenes inside of the picture frame are weirder as they by far exceed the resolution such a picture would have.
I am still working on a fitting style, though. The current images (especially the house) are just photos that have been pixelated.

The wallpapers on the walls are all pixelart, too. They don't differ from voxel art though as you cannot see the depth of them.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 23, 2021, 12:48:59 AM »

I think Prinsessa meant that it's a picture of a real-world photo, instead of pixel art, or a pixelated capture of an in-game scene.

Well, even in voxel games, you often have pixel art. It's just flat voxel art.

Ackchyually... real-world paintings often have some "depth" to it because the paint itself has a thickness to it. Some of the most famous painters out there (like Rembrandt) made use of that to enhance the scene.

I guess you could play a bit with that too for your paintings: instead of a flat surface "extrude" some pixels a bit to fake a brush-stroke
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic