Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:37:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36152 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: August 09, 2021, 08:25:16 AM »

I'm torn between "Sometimes the heart is in your way" and "I like juicy sounds" as the title for this video. ^^
This marks the finishing line for the second of the two doors in the new tutorial.  Coffee
(Lazily copied from my tweet, as usual ^^)

Now I will start with the actual environment for the tutorial. I have a few ideas, but do not know if they will work out. Smiley
The player will need to reach two other places by jumping and "climbing" where the two heart door key parts are waiting for him.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 09, 2021, 10:34:42 AM »

Shocked

Ok, I love it as a puzzl, but I'm wondering if it doesn't clash with the narrative buildup of the game. Doesn't the game kinda start like a "harmless" spooky mansion and get weirder/creepier the further you progress into it?
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: August 09, 2021, 11:25:47 AM »

The interaction inside of the inventory is always a bit tricky to do, but I think it is worth it.

Not knowing the costs, I can't speak to whether it's worth it, I feel, but I do think that it adds a fair bit. ^_^

I'm torn between "Sometimes the heart is in your way" and "I like juicy sounds" as the title for this video. ^^

Impressive work, and nicely disturbing, I do think! ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: August 10, 2021, 12:55:09 AM »

Shocked

Ok, I love it as a puzzl, but I'm wondering if it doesn't clash with the narrative buildup of the game. Doesn't the game kinda start like a "harmless" spooky mansion and get weirder/creepier the further you progress into it?

Thank you! Smiley
The tutorial is a nightmare and you wake up to your bedroom, before setting off towards the mansion.
I am also trying to include some other game elements that will be important later on here.

Not knowing the costs, I can't speak to whether it's worth it, I feel, but I do think that it adds a fair bit. ^_^
Thank you, that is reassuring. I like the results, too. I just hope that there won't be that many item combinations inside of the inventory. ^^

Impressive work, and nicely disturbing, I do think! ^_^
Thank you very much!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 10, 2021, 01:02:20 AM »

The tutorial is a nightmare and you wake up to your bedroom, before setting off towards the mansion.
Clever! That also gives you the freedom to completely ignore the "real-world" narrative for the sake of educating the player!
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: August 10, 2021, 01:06:58 AM »

Clever! That also gives you the freedom to completely ignore the "real-world" narrative for the sake of educating the player!

Thanks. ^^
Indeed most of the elements focus on teaching the player the controls here. I plan on adding hints to the story here, but cannot say yet how good it will work out.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 10, 2021, 02:15:12 AM »

Nice to see you posting again! Smiley Looking good.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: August 10, 2021, 02:38:03 AM »

Nice to see you posting again! Smiley Looking good.

Thanks a lot! I still have to catch up on all the awesome stuff you (not so lazy) people did in the meantime. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 10, 2021, 03:32:51 AM »

Luckily for you I'm here for over a decade as a game devlog enthusiast without actually making any kind of game myself, so you can always compare yourself to me  Cheesy
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: August 10, 2021, 03:37:34 AM »

Luckily for you I'm here for over a decade as a game devlog enthusiast without actually making any kind of game myself, so you can always compare yourself to me  Cheesy

Hehe, good to know. I'm already feeling better, thanks! :D

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: August 16, 2021, 03:36:43 AM »

The heart door surprised me and I'm looking forward to see it within the context of the full tutorial!

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: August 16, 2021, 05:09:51 AM »

The heart door surprised me and I'm looking forward to see it within the context of the full tutorial!

Hi! I'm always ready to disappoint! :D

The tutorial is a wild mix of styles at the moment. I have to see if this will work out or not.

I have completed the basic parkour, but have yet to add the ending to it. Today I have found out that learning physics in school was a total waste of time. I googled for almost an hour to find and understand the formula to get the time the player needs to fall a certain distance. The fact that unity changes the velocity with that "drag" value is probably not very helpful either.
I needed this to calculate the horizontal compensation vector, so a player falling off the parkour will end up landing at the desired position. This... will probably get clearer once I have the video ready. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: August 17, 2021, 08:53:15 AM »

The tutorial is a wild mix of styles at the moment. I have to see if this will work out or not.

Honestly, I like this! It sounds like it could make for an interesting experience! ^_^

I have completed the basic parkour, but have yet to add the ending to it. Today I have found out that learning physics in school was a total waste of time. I googled for almost an hour to find and understand the formula to get the time the player needs to fall a certain distance. The fact that unity changes the velocity with that "drag" value is probably not very helpful either.
I needed this to calculate the horizontal compensation vector, so a player falling off the parkour will end up landing at the desired position. This... will probably get clearer once I have the video ready. Smiley

Oof, that sounds tricky indeed!

I remember doing a wind-drag simulation--which I'm guessing has an effect similar to the "drag" value that you describe--in university. It's not the simplest thing in the world!

(It's tempting to suggest faking the physics for this purpose, and just giving the player a calculated parabolic arc.)

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: August 21, 2021, 05:20:50 AM »

Chasing the ball...  Blink

This is part of the ending of the new tutorial. You will leave the parkour to descend a stairway into the cellar.
I want to tell a bit more about the fading of the stairway and the eye background in another post.
Today I have "only" done the jump and flee behaviour of the ball. It will wait for the player until he gets closer than a certain distance and it will increase speed when the player gets to close, so you cannot reach it by running.
I intend to make it look as if someone is holding the ball and make it bounce. To achieve this, I have used animation curves for the jump and rotation of the ball.

The next (and final) part of the tutorial will be an animation, but I might be able to use a keyframe animation instead of a coded one which will speed up the progress a bit.

Fun fact: Today I have looked for an atmospheric background track to use in the scene. After finding one and preparing it in audacity (making it loop), I found out that I already had one and only turned down the music volume to 0 in the game. :D

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 21, 2021, 10:30:33 AM »

Invisible ghost playing with ball is definitely a nope nope nope for me
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: August 21, 2021, 10:41:27 AM »

Yeah, but visible ghosts are so much more work.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 22, 2021, 11:45:26 AM »

Hah! Clever use of a limited animation budget for spooky effects then!  Cheesy
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: August 24, 2021, 05:02:45 AM »

Ooh, that bouncing ball is remarkably convincing, especially with the associated sound effects--very good work, I do think! ^_^

And the fading staircase and watchful background are quite intriguing! ^_^

The weird thing is that, for me, it's more cute (and cool) than scary. It reads as "ordinary, cute little child, who just happens to be dead" rather than "eldritch aethereal nightmare".

Fun fact: Today I have looked for an atmospheric background track to use in the scene. After finding one and preparing it in audacity (making it loop), I found out that I already had one and only turned down the music volume to 0 in the game. :D

Oh no! XD

That does sound a little frustrating! ^^;

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 24, 2021, 05:29:26 AM »

Yeah, sure, and then you follow it around the corner and the elevator opens to a blood tsunami. No thanks
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: August 24, 2021, 06:59:18 AM »

Ooh, that bouncing ball is remarkably convincing, especially with the associated sound effects--very good work, I do think! ^_^

And the fading staircase and watchful background are quite intriguing! ^_^

Thank you! I have spent quite a bit of time here, good to know that it wasn't in vain. Smiley

The weird thing is that, for me, it's more cute (and cool) than scary. It reads as "ordinary, cute little child, who just happens to be dead" rather than "eldritch aethereal nightmare".

Ghosts are just dead people with some unfinished business. Smiley

Oh no! XD

That does sound a little frustrating! ^^;

I found it rather funny. I didn't waste too much time here and I think I will be able to use that track somewhere.

Yeah, sure, and then you follow it around the corner and the elevator opens to a blood tsunami. No thanks

I think that I have seen that somewhere before...  Smiley

Blood is a good keyword for the next thing I am working on. I think I will try a bit of a larger "article" post this time. It will contain the progress to the "final" scene including a failed attempt.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic