Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 06:47:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36064 times)
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: August 24, 2021, 08:50:52 AM »

Spooky as hell! Shocked

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: August 25, 2021, 07:49:22 AM »

I found it rather funny. I didn't waste too much time here and I think I will be able to use that track somewhere.

Ah, that's good, then--I'm glad that it was so, rather than as I had thought! ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: August 25, 2021, 09:31:15 AM »

Spooky as hell! Shocked

Haven't been there recently, so I'll take your word for it. Thanks! Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: August 29, 2021, 03:57:15 AM »

- Descending invisible stairs -

This is an article about the composition of the tutorial dream scene, especially of the last part of it.

Scene Composition

First, I want to explain the basic visuals of the scene, which consist of "normal" nontransparent geometry and the background. I wanted to have a giant eye as background that will follow your view direction.

The geometry of the level should also fade out towards a certain distance. This is especially important as you can fall off the parkour and will land on it again.

The whole fading is done in the shader of the eye, which is just a sphere with a radius of 1m that is following the camera. It rotates towards the view dir of the player with some delay

It is drawn above everything else and calculates the distance using the z-buffer. Then it adds some additional effect using a moving texture, so the fading is not simple linear at all places.

The Stairway

The tutorial ends with a scene in a cellar, that you enter by descending lots of stairs that fade in out of nowhere. The stairs and the cellar room are both normal scene geometry.

I had multiple approaches to make the cellar stairway fade in from nothingness here. The tutorial scene already has a weird setup, because of the eye background.
The stairway initially had its own shader to make it fade in. There have been several problems though as even with a near 0 opacity, you could still see a bit of the specular highlights. Fading out the smoothness of the shader as well changed the look of it too much, though.

In the end, I added the fading to the shader of the eye background sphere using additional conditions. Descreasing the opacity of the eye will fade in the cellar.
The opacity depends on the z position of the geometry and the player (camera). This finally seemed to work.

In the game, you will follow a ball down the stairs. It was supposed to be the only thing telling you that you can go in that direction in the first place.

While everything worked as expected, it didn't feel right. On one hand the "standing on air" feeling was nice. On the other hand, having nothing but a jumping ball and a rotating background as reference points was... disorienting a bit too much.

I wanted to have something on the floor that you could follow. So, I thought that some pulse effect would be nice.
It also revealed a bit more of the cellar on the inside, reducing its transparency.

https://youtu.be/l-tcodLrCZw

It was a lot of work to get there. The pulse was added using a particle system on a separate camera and added as an input to the eye background shader. The outer ring had a different color than the inside to get the two different behaviours (opaque colored ring vs. opacity change of the cellar) in the shader.
I've also used a shader that kept the pixelization constant while the particle was resized in the system. I already had the shader as it was used in the pulse effect of the eye in the house, but I had to do some changes.

I finished the work on it, turned off the computer and soon afterwards I knew that I hated it. It didn't work. It neither had the desired effect of giving the player more reference points, nor did it look appealing to me.

On the next day, I made a video to remember it and deleted the effect from the scene.

In the first concept description of the ball, I had the point "leaves bloody prints on the floor". And I thought, that this could be something that could work. Leave something behind that stays. I... might have overdone it a bit with the blood, though.

The good thing is: I could reuse some of the changes in the eye background shader to make the blood and the ball to add some special fading and make it appear above everything else. Otherwise it would fade out like the other geometry of the level and I wanted the ball to be visible from a greater distance.

The blood rivulet has some pseudo shading as the initial version was so evenly colored that you could not recognize the steps.

I will not talk about how many ridiculous methods I tried to add the shading (including modifying the normals and then calculate new vertex colors using their z component) before I remembered that it already had its own shader and I could just add it to that. Pro tip: Sleeping is not a waste of time.

The shader has some texture scrolling that is pixelized, so it does not look too smooth. However, it also has some smoother movements as well to break it up a bit.

The "Final" Result

https://youtu.be/6uS0aDJGS_Y

I have rarely worked on a part that was changed as many times as this one. I'm kinda satisfied with it now, though.

After all that shader stuff, I am looking forward to doing something completely different next: Animating a cutscene.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: August 30, 2021, 03:23:37 AM »

Oof, sometimes indeed an effect or scene proves difficult to figure out. I'm glad that you did eventually reach that point, however, and can hope that it feels worth the time and effort put into it! For what it's worth, I think that this is a rather good scene! ^_^

I do agree that the "expanding ring" approach didn't really work for your stated purpose, I believe.

Conversely, I do rather like the approach that you've taken with the blood, and the look of that effect--especially in the way that it flows!  ^_^

That jump down is somewhat reminiscent of Manifold Garden! And further, is rather good work, I do think! ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: August 30, 2021, 04:05:29 AM »

Oof, sometimes indeed an effect or scene proves difficult to figure out. I'm glad that you did eventually reach that point, however, and can hope that it feels worth the time and effort put into it! For what it's worth, I think that this is a rather good scene! ^_^

I do agree that the "expanding ring" approach didn't really work for your stated purpose, I believe.

Conversely, I do rather like the approach that you've taken with the blood, and the look of that effect--especially in the way that it flows!  ^_^

That jump down is somewhat reminiscent of Manifold Garden! And further, is rather good work, I do think! ^_^

Thank you! Smiley

"Manifold Garden" indeed was a thing on my mind when I planned this. I even thought about doing a shader that would repeat the geometry in all directions. In the end, my solution is a lot simpler. It fulfills the task, though.
It's really just an alternative to having walls as a border to the parkour. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: August 30, 2021, 11:10:33 AM »

"Manifold Garden" indeed was a thing on my mind when I planned this. I even thought about doing a shader that would repeat the geometry in all directions. In the end, my solution is a lot simpler. It fulfills the task, though.
It's really just an alternative to having walls as a border to the parkour. Smiley

Ah, interesting!

I'll confess that a full Manifold-Garden-esque appearance could be quite neat for this strange and surreal place in which your tutorial seems to take place. However, conversely, it does seem perhaps a little superfluous given that this is, I gather, a fairly small scene in an otherwise un-Manifold-Garden-esque game.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: August 30, 2021, 01:56:41 PM »

It is indeed a rather small scene and it is supposed to be very limited to a handful of tasks to teach you the basics. There is no space to get lost or explore (unless there is a secret... *cough*) here. But the mechanic is quite appealing, especially to a coder. Smiley
I was planning to have an "endless" labyrinth in one of the "light worlds" that might have something like that, at least horizontally.

On the other hand: I'm also currently thinking about drastically reducing the scope of the project to increase the chance that it will get finished.  Shrug

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 31, 2021, 07:44:35 AM »

You know what I've noticed, on a meta-level from following devlogs here for a long long time? Single-person game projects like this tend to have this "handcrafted" quality to them (that's a compliment) where everything fits together following the logic of a single person who had to figure out where they want to take the game and how they want to do it. Even a small team already loses some that quality.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: August 31, 2021, 07:52:58 AM »

It is indeed a rather small scene and it is supposed to be very limited to a handful of tasks to teach you the basics. There is no space to get lost or explore (unless there is a secret... *cough*) here. But the mechanic is quite appealing, especially to a coder. Smiley

It is indeed an interesting mechanic!

Also, that is an intriguing suggestion of a secret...

I was planning to have an "endless" labyrinth in one of the "light worlds" that might have something like that, at least horizontally.

Ah, interesting!

Although I'll note that, if my "labyrinth" you mean "maze", such things can at times be frustrating in first-person games, I fear.

On the other hand: I'm also currently thinking about drastically reducing the scope of the project to increase the chance that it will get finished.  Shrug

This is, I think, sometimes--if perhaps not always--wise.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: August 31, 2021, 08:11:10 AM »

You know what I've noticed, on a meta-level from following devlogs here for a long long time? Single-person game projects like this tend to have this "handcrafted" quality to them (that's a compliment) where everything fits together following the logic of a single person who had to figure out where they want to take the game and how they want to do it. Even a small team already loses some that quality.

"(that's a compliment)" - thanks for clarifying! :D
But that IS an interestig point. The way I do graphics changed over time and I will probably have to revisit some places to make them match the later parts. But I hope that the feeling of the game will stay the same. Smiley

Ah, interesting!

Although I'll note that, if my "labyrinth" you mean "maze", such things can at times be frustrating in first-person games, I fear.

Fear not! Smiley
I don't think that it will be a problem here. The idea was that you will follow something pointing you in the right direction. You will not wander it aimlessly and draw a map in your sketchbook. Smiley

On the other hand: I'm also currently thinking about drastically reducing the scope of the project to increase the chance that it will get finished.  Shrug

This is, I think, sometimes--if perhaps not always--wise.

I know... but... but... all those awesome scenes that I have in mind (and in the concept texts)... that would take years to animate...  Cry

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: September 02, 2021, 10:52:54 AM »

Fear not! Smiley
I don't think that it will be a problem here. The idea was that you will follow something pointing you in the right direction. You will not wander it aimlessly and draw a map in your sketchbook. Smiley

Ah, that's good to read, and fair enough! ^_^

I know... but... but... all those awesome scenes that I have in mind (and in the concept texts)... that would take years to animate...  Cry

Believe me, I very much sympathise! ^^;

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: September 06, 2021, 06:20:52 AM »

This is a very early state of the crash animation in the cellar.
Some movements are missing and others are a bit off (e.g. the ladder).

I am working with Unity's Timeline, which I almost never use, so I'm a total noob here and everything takes forever.
Usually I like animating stuff by code, but complexer scenes are still better done this way.

It also took forever to visualize this crash. I finally have an idea of what will happen here. Smiley

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: September 06, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »

I missed a million updates on this. This is moving fast!
Isn't there a way to convert physics simulations to frame animation?

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: September 06, 2021, 12:10:30 PM »

Hmm... It is looking a bit more rough than your usual animations--but nevertheless also looks like a good start!

Ah, switching to a less-familiar tool can be an awkward, slowing thing, I fear! Well, I hope that you come to grips with this one swiftly! ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: September 06, 2021, 03:19:08 PM »

I missed a million updates on this. This is moving fast!
Isn't there a way to convert physics simulations to frame animation?

I'd love to feel the same way about the speed of the development... Xd
I think that there might be a way to do that, yes. But getting Unity Physics to behave the way I want in that setup is nearly impossible, I'm afraid. Especially, if I'm not even sure if the stuff happening here is physically possible. Smiley
Thanks for the suggestion, though. Will keep it in mind for future animations.

Hmm... It is looking a bit more rough than your usual animations--but nevertheless also looks like a good start!

Ah, switching to a less-familiar tool can be an awkward, slowing thing, I fear! Well, I hope that you come to grips with this one swiftly! ^_^

I *hope* that this is the case, because I'm usually not posting stuff in that early stage.
The whole timing of this thing is not finished yet. Stuff that should move fast is moving slow and the other way around. Some parts aren't moving at all, that I need to animate.
I need to find out how to do a lot of things. I don't think the timeline feature is very nice. I cannot even insert frames to shift the whole animation until I have converted the tracks to clip tracks. And I bet I cannot edit animation curves then anymore. :|

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: September 07, 2021, 07:51:34 AM »

I need to find out how to do a lot of things.

That can be daunting at times, I fear! But... potentially also rewarding, I think.

I don't think the timeline feature is very nice. I cannot even insert frames to shift the whole animation until I have converted the tracks to clip tracks. And I bet I cannot edit animation curves then anymore. :|

Oof, that does sound like a pain to work with, indeed! :/

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: September 19, 2021, 03:48:37 AM »

This is the complete basic crash animation, the sound is still missing and also the stuff in the shelf.
All the elements still have the temporary material from the voxel import as well. The bright colors help when animating it.

This whole thing is only about 3 seconds long. In the game, this will run in slow motion.

I learned a lot during this (mostly how NOT to do things when animating).

There is still a lot to do here and I am only working on it on weekends at the moment. But I hope that I will be able to finish this before I will holiday in a few weeks (holiday is a verb in British English, I looked it up ^^).

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 19, 2021, 11:25:18 PM »

Whenever I see flat shading like this I instantly get flashbacks to the Money For Nothing video  Wink

Curious how it will look in-game in slow-motion!
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: September 20, 2021, 03:03:45 AM »

It looks much improved indeed, I do think! ^_^

There is still a lot to do here and I am only working on it on weekends at the moment. But I hope that I will be able to finish this before I will holiday in a few weeks (holiday is a verb in British English, I looked it up ^^).

Good luck in doing so! I hope that you succeed! ^_^

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic