Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:34:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36083 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: March 20, 2022, 04:33:21 AM »

Good evening!

This took a lot longer than expected, because I got distracted by a lot of other things, but now it is done.
Instead of showing you any more updates about the tutorial, you can just play it yourself instead! :D

The game moved to its new location (and new name) and you can download the new demo including the tutorial and first location (previous tutorial) here:
https://scanix.itch.io/mournway-mansion

I'm looking forward to hearing your complaints! ^_^

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 21, 2022, 12:44:29 AM »

Well, I could complain that you're not supporting Linux but that would be mean. Plus I can dual-boot. But it will have to wait until after work today either way Wink

Anyway, congrats on reaching the next milestone! Coffee
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: March 21, 2022, 12:48:16 AM »

Thank you! Smiley

Well, I could upload a Linux version, but I cannot test it. Will check after work today.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 21, 2022, 01:27:29 AM »

I'll test!  Grin
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: March 21, 2022, 01:37:43 AM »

Good to hear you are back working on Mournway Mansion!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: March 21, 2022, 01:51:42 AM »

It's really good to see an update from this! And better yet, a demo! ^_^

I'll second the mourning of a lack of a Linux version, but I have it downloading, to hopefully be played when I get around to dual-booting into Windows! (Which may take a little time, in all fairness.) Still, I'm enthused to try it! ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: March 21, 2022, 04:39:05 AM »

Hey, thank you everyone! :]

I have added a linux version now.

I am still distracted by other stuff, but I also hope that I will have something interesting to show soon. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 21, 2022, 06:35:05 AM »

There seems to be an issue with how the Linux mode captures the mouse on my laptop - it think the bounding box is shifted halfway down the screen (I can't even click some of the buttons).

I'll try the demo on Windows later Smiley
JeremyNunns
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 21, 2022, 07:56:15 AM »

I was just making my way through your DevLog and was so impressed the moment I saw your clothes hanger video!

Very very cool.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 21, 2022, 08:57:16 AM »

You know what I just did? I rebooted into Windows, just for you ScanX. The demo is fun!

The game console doesn't let me play or exit the built-in minigame though, it seems to be bugged

edit: also, the title reveal was siiiick
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: March 21, 2022, 10:41:59 AM »

I have added a linux version now.

Oh, excellent! Thank you for that--I'm re-downloading as I write this! ^_^

I am still distracted by other stuff, but I also hope that I will have something interesting to show soon. Smiley

That's fair! I'm interested to see what interesting thing you have in mind to present! ^_^

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: March 26, 2022, 11:59:06 AM »

Hey ScaniX, I just wanted to drop a few lines after playing your demo, in case you are interested.

The game has a unique atmosphere! I am a bit torn if I like that the tutorial takes place in the dream space, because I liked the bedroom scene so much more. One thing that confused me was that the gap where you teach the player to pull out elements to cross a gap also had the instructional text on how to jump. I tried to make the jump a dozen times and thought I could make it, but maybe I am just a slow learner Wink The transition between the dream world and the bedroom was done nicely!
The pushing and pulling interactions feel good and it was fun to explore the bedroom piece by piece and solve the puzzle to leave the room.

As a side node, I had a similar problem like JobLeonard. When I tried to play the hand-held console game, I started the game and got only the background, nothing else. I could hear that me pressing buttons did something (sound of a space shooter?) but I could not see anything or leave the game. I had to ALt-F4 the whole game to get out.

EDIT: I played the win64 version.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: March 26, 2022, 04:02:30 PM »

There seems to be an issue with how the Linux mode captures the mouse on my laptop - it think the bounding box is shifted halfway down the screen (I can't even click some of the buttons).

I'll try the demo on Windows later Smiley

You know what I just did? I rebooted into Windows, just for you ScanX. The demo is fun!

The game console doesn't let me play or exit the built-in minigame though, it seems to be bugged

edit: also, the title reveal was siiiick

Oh, man. Don't know why I haven't seen your comments. Sorry for the late reply! Sad
Thank you very much for testing it although it meant trouble for you! Smiley
And thanks for the bug report. No one else tried to play the gameslate in the videos that I saw, so I did not notice it. XD

About the linux version: Unfortunately I cannot test it at the moment and the capturing stuff is something unity is doing. I don't know if I can easily interfer with it.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: March 26, 2022, 04:04:03 PM »

I was just making my way through your DevLog and was so impressed the moment I saw your clothes hanger video!

Very very cool.

Hi! Thank you very much for taking the time to read the dev log and thanks for the compliment. Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: March 26, 2022, 04:09:25 PM »

Hey ScaniX, I just wanted to drop a few lines after playing your demo, in case you are interested.

The game has a unique atmosphere! I am a bit torn if I like that the tutorial takes place in the dream space, because I liked the bedroom scene so much more. One thing that confused me was that the gap where you teach the player to pull out elements to cross a gap also had the instructional text on how to jump. I tried to make the jump a dozen times and thought I could make it, but maybe I am just a slow learner Wink The transition between the dream world and the bedroom was done nicely!
The pushing and pulling interactions feel good and it was fun to explore the bedroom piece by piece and solve the puzzle to leave the room.

As a side node, I had a similar problem like JobLeonard. When I tried to play the hand-held console game, I started the game and got only the background, nothing else. I could hear that me pressing buttons did something (sound of a space shooter?) but I could not see anything or leave the game. I had to ALt-F4 the whole game to get out.

EDIT: I played the win64 version.

Thanks a lot for the valuable feedback! I guess the gameslate thing is broken and I just forgot to test it after changing around a lot of things. Sad
About the tutorial: The kids bedroom was the old tutorial, but the advantage of the new tutorial is that it limits the freedom a lot, so there is no distraction or a risk of getting lost. You just learn one thing to get one step further. I think it does a good job there. I would agree that the look and feel of the "real world" is nicer in comparison, though. Smiley

About the jump gap with the drawer: Thanks for the info! I should probably hide the hint for jumping until you pulled out the drawer.

PS: I did play the demo of your game, too. But I wanted to continue a bit more before posting something in your devlog. Until now I died once, killed some and picked up weird stuff. ^^
I found the mechanism of throwing potions weirdly enjoyable. :D

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 27, 2022, 04:23:34 AM »

About the linux version: Unfortunately I cannot test it at the moment and the capturing stuff is something unity is doing. I don't know if I can easily interfer with it.
I could try starting it from the command line and seeing if it spits out anything interesting (or if you add a debug build with logging I can run that and send you the logs)
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: March 27, 2022, 05:16:22 AM »

I could try starting it from the command line and seeing if it spits out anything interesting (or if you add a debug build with logging I can run that and send you the logs)

That's super nice of you. It should already create a log somewhere. Fixing bugs using a log output is a start, but super troublesome. Might need to get a linux machine running sooner or later.
Will come back to this issue at a later time. :D

The GameSlate is fixed already. I'm uploading new versions now. Thanks for reporting this!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: March 28, 2022, 01:12:16 AM »

Alas, I haven't managed to get the Linux version to work at all thus far. However, I am still on an older version, so at time of writing I've downloaded the updated version, in the hopes that the problem is there resolved.

(I think that I tried running it from the terminal, but found no useful output. Does your game perhaps produce a log somewhere...?)

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: March 28, 2022, 05:11:24 AM »

It's a standard Linux 64bit build of Unity. Logs should be at "~/.config/unity3d/CompanyName/ProductName/Player.log".
I cannot do very much to influence the build (other than selecting 64 bit or if it's a dev build or not).
After the game really starts, then I can try to fix stuff that is different on Mac etc. like shader transparencies etc.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: March 28, 2022, 06:37:16 AM »

Awesome, I'm glad I could be of help and thanks for checking out my game. Take all the time you need with the feedback Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic