Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:14:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36144 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2020, 12:12:01 PM »

I could feel that video Who, Me?

Hehe, thanks.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2020, 09:40:24 AM »

I do love how much data one can pack into vertex colours; I know that I've made a fair bit of use of them in my own work! ^_^

I'm curious, if I may: what prompted you to change the way that the legs animated?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2020, 09:52:30 AM »

I thought the movement looked a bit random and not like a fluid motion in the last video, but it looks fantastic now! Kiss

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2020, 04:28:17 PM »

I thought the movement looked a bit random and not like a fluid motion in the last video, but it looks fantastic now! Kiss

Thank you! Smiley

I've changed the shader around quite a bit to make the leg movement look ok-ish for the differently rotated spiders. I am now working on the paths around objects that I draw on extra textures similar to normal maps. This is the last thing I need to be able to build the scene that I have in mind.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2020, 04:32:19 AM »

I've added the direction map to control the movement around obstacles.
Now I have everything I need for the actual game scene.

This is the creation of the Direction Maps using my own tool that normally is used to create fur.

It's far from perfect, but I'm not building a simulation.
It's only used in a short cutscene.
I had lots of fun creating it, though. Smiley

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 09:53:32 AM by RealScaniX » Logged

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2020, 05:05:29 AM »

This is nice tech. But I wonder if I missed something at the last ~20 posts. I thought this was about random around in a voxel-styled house solving puzzles? How does a swarm of spiders fit into this?

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2020, 06:44:59 AM »

This is nice tech. But I wonder if I missed something at the last ~20 posts. I thought this was about random around in a voxel-styled house solving puzzles? How does a swarm of spiders fit into this?

It's for one scene in there. Those spiders have roughly the size of a voxel. I needed to add some polys or else you had running around cubes. We'll see how it looks in the game. I've seen other games combine the voxel look with some other non voxely styles without breaking the immersion in any way.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2020, 09:56:17 AM »

That is a very cool set of techniques, creating a rather neat effect, I do think! ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2020, 10:03:27 AM »

That is a very cool set of techniques, creating a rather neat effect, I do think! ^_^

Thank you! I will start the scene soon. I need to build the room for it first, though. Smiley

BTW: This is the first phase, where they change from voxels into recognizable spiders. It's hard to see in the other videos:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2020, 10:43:39 AM »

I need to build the room for it first, though. Smiley

That would see to help, yes. Tongue

BTW: This is the first phase, where they change from voxels into recognizable spiders. It's hard to see in the other videos:

I really like that effect--indeed, I suspect that the spiders will fit in particularly well with the voxel setting, given that transition: I imagine it looking a little like the fabric of the building itself is turning into spiders... :D

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »

I really like that effect--indeed, I suspect that the spiders will fit in particularly well with the voxel setting, given that transition:
Thank you for strengthening my believe. I hope it looks well when brought all together.

I imagine it looking a little like the fabric of the building itself is turning into spiders... :D

Imagine happening this to you. Sitting alone in self isolation at home and the room turns into spiders.  :D

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2020, 05:36:29 AM »

Now that I got the need to animate spiders out of my system, I can concentrate on the other stuff for a while.
I need to create the place for the spider event first anyway.

I've moved my main shader into a shader function (using the Amplify shader editor).
This way it's easier to create some upcoming variations of it.

I've also readded the distance desaturation to it, so objects in the distance become gray.

Here are 2 new objects:

The kitchen table (and with the old shader in comparison)

And some chains for the vent:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2020, 09:18:31 AM »

Imagine happening this to you. Sitting alone in self isolation at home and the room turns into spiders.  :D

Hey, if they're just Daddy Long-Legs then that's not too bad! We also get tiny runny things around here, which would be awfully ticklish.

That said, if they were something dangerous and aggressive, now, that would be rather scary... o_o

Of course, the whole experience of the wall dissolving into spiders would be... rather trippy, at the least! 0_0

Also:

*Old Spice Man voice* THE WALL IS NOW SPIDERS! ;P

I really like the colouring in the new shaders, I believe; it leaves the place looking a little more worn, appropriate to a spooky sort of game, I think. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »

*Old Spice Man voice* THE WALL IS NOW SPIDERS! ;P

Sometimes you wish the floor was lava...

I really like the colouring in the new shaders, I believe; it leaves the place looking a little more worn, appropriate to a spooky sort of game, I think. ^_^

Thank you. I had this desaturation in there a long time ago, but it was kinda lost due some changes. The idea is that (outside of the light of your light ball) the world is dark, colorless and scary. Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2020, 04:02:42 AM »

The game will have chapters and they deserve some cool intro text.   

As usual, this was on the list for a while, but now I had an idea of how to do it using the shader that I did for the mirror drawing.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2020, 04:21:54 AM »

Woahh, that direction map stuff is so cool! Shocked Would love some more detailed resources.

And the sound design for the chapter introduction is great, very creepy and ominous with the music box and then the strings. Waaagh!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2020, 04:45:30 AM »

A Portal reference?

"It's an older meme sir, but it checks out"
OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2020, 06:56:32 AM »

This is creepy! The voxels look great. Loved the mirror spook and the sink work. How far is the project? Is the 20% accurate?

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2020, 07:30:02 AM »

Woahh, that direction map stuff is so cool! Shocked Would love some more detailed resources.

And the sound design for the chapter introduction is great, very creepy and ominous with the music box and then the strings. Waaagh!

Thanks again! Smiley
What detailed resources? The direction map is just an encoding of x and z direction (y is up) into a texture, the script is using that to determine the new direction for a spider, then goes a bit in that direction and checks the map again. Some randomness in speed and a direction tendency is added and the resulting coordinate "stream" per spider is then encoded in a EXR texture (tried PNG, but it was sloppy with the color encoding when alpha was 0. Hear that, PNG? Sloppy!) where x, y and z are RGB and the direction is alpha.
The shader is then moving the vertices around accordingly and is also doing the leg movement.

The sound is a mix of some parts from the title theme done by https://twitter.com/DPotenMusic:
https://soundcloud.com/damianpotenzonimusic/darkness-main-theme

A Portal reference?

"It's an older meme sir, but it checks out"

Hehe, not directly. But I've been thinking of it after writing it. Smiley
The first part was supposed to be something kitchen related. The second line came in later to avoid people expecting waffles in the game. :D

This is creepy! The voxels look great. Loved the mirror spook and the sink work. How far is the project? Is the 20% accurate?

Thank you very much! I might have been a bit optimistic with the progress. I have lots of stuff planned and I am pretty much finished on the code side. But I underestimated the time needed to fill the house with stuff and think of more adventure gameplay. Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2020, 08:51:14 AM »

Oh, that's clever!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic