Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:22:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Mournway Mansion [1st person voxel adventure] (formerly known as "Darkness")  (Read 36126 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2020, 10:28:00 AM »

That is a nice chapter-introduction indeed, both visually and musically. I like it! And a good idea to use your mirror-writing shader to achieve it, I do think. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2020, 12:53:22 PM »

That is a nice chapter-introduction indeed, both visually and musically. I like it! And a good idea to use your mirror-writing shader to achieve it, I do think. ^_^

Thank you. I still like it after a day as well. That is usually a good sign. Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2020, 04:44:10 AM »

I've added the grill to the kitchen. It really made me hungry for some grilled goodies like sausages.
Mmh... I can almost smell the smoke!
Waaaaaait a minute...

I've added a new shader function "EyeCorner". I will do some stuff that you can only see out of the corner of your eye.
Here it is use to blend the coal material between the normal and the glowing version and also to fade out the smoke particles.

essencescape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2020, 06:07:26 AM »

You made voxel look atmospheric! Nice!
Curious about the game premise, following to stay posted.

Would love to see some post processing camera fxs with your voxel look.

It's a good combination of genre and art style. Best of luck!

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2020, 08:37:52 AM »

You made voxel look atmospheric! Nice!
Curious about the game premise, following to stay posted.

Would love to see some post processing camera fxs with your voxel look.

It's a good combination of genre and art style. Best of luck!

Thank you very much!

Doing a post processing / shader breakdown video is a nice idea. I think I might do that soon. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:47 AM »

I love the idea of things that the player can only see out of the corner of their eye! That should be nicely spooky indeed! :D

(I once thought to do a similar thing with ghosts in a project that I had in mind, now set aside.)

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2020, 10:57:13 AM »

I love the idea of things that the player can only see out of the corner of their eye! That should be nicely spooky indeed! :D

(I once thought to do a similar thing with ghosts in a project that I had in mind, now set aside.)

Yes, this has been on the list for a while. I first wanted to use it on something in the cellar. There will be other stuff that you can only see from the corner of your eye as well. I'm putting all those things into shader functions now, so I can reuse them more easily to build new shaders and effects and combine them.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2020, 10:58:54 AM »

Here are the post processing effects that I apply to get the current look. I'm still playing around with this regularly. I've just tinkered with the DOF again and also with the ambient occlusion that got reduced a bit (also in resolution to gain some performance).

I'm adding more vibrant colors, depth of field & ambient occlusion.

The Darkness shader itself has a large impact as well, though. It is used in the material of the objects.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2020, 09:07:14 AM »

It's neat to see how all of those shaders layer to produce the final image. ^_^

If I may ask, I'm curious: why are there two layers of ambient occlusion?

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2020, 11:01:05 AM »

It's neat to see how all of those shaders layer to produce the final image. ^_^

If I may ask, I'm curious: why are there two layers of ambient occlusion?

That's something I have asked myself as well. They are from different products, one is from the standard unity post process stack and the other from Amplify Creates. I played around with them a while ago and came to the conclusion that they create different effects and I need both of them.
As always: Post processing is a thing that I change around a bit at least once a month or so. The next version might be different. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2020, 09:12:34 AM »

Ah, fair enough, on both counts! Thank you for the explanation. ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2020, 02:42:09 PM »

Here is a nice comparison between the old look from the public demo and the look of the current version.
Some of the change in shading comes from the smoothing I'm sometimes applying to the normals of voxel objects to make them less flat shaded.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2020, 03:34:24 PM »

Most of the time, your LightBall is your only light source in the game.
You won't really see it very often, but it's very important and I wanted to redesign it a bit.

I'm not finished, but this is the current look with the new shader.

Otherwise I was busy building the last objects for the kitchen and that room is pretty close to being complete. I also did lots of cleanup and optimizations.

I've also added more functionality to the text files containing the messages for examine or combine responses. I can now add more variation to the response with randomly selected parts and can add more precise responses to combine actions.
E.g. I can have a standard response for using a hammer with something, using something with the cat and also using... the hammer with the cat. Azn

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2020, 09:29:19 AM »

Ooh, that light-ball is really lovely; I particularly like the sense of depth to it. Very nicely done! ^_^

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2020, 10:27:37 AM »

Thank you! It was just an intermediate state to be able to post it for #screenshotsaturday. ^^

It looks a bit different already. I need to redesign the whole inventory system before I can show it in the scene that I imagined, though.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2020, 10:04:45 AM »

Inventory V2:

1) The new grid layout has dynamic columns and rows for different resolutions and multiple pages for more items.

2) Now you can combine items in the inventory.

3) The new pivot and bounds calculation improves automatic scaling and positioning.

The following video shows the old and the new system.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2020, 09:06:50 AM »

That looks pretty good, indeed. ^_^

Also, from certain descriptions I take the implication that it's perfectly normal and unremarkable in this setting for things to be surrounded by an eldritch purple aura. Tongue

Suttebun
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2020, 11:58:47 AM »

Hand Pencil "That is my light ball." is like.. that over there is my light ball.

"This is my light ball." sounds like it's in your posession.

But also.. "that is my light ball" sounds like your speaking to yourself in your head.. which really fits your game.

Blink  Toast Right
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2020, 02:22:25 PM »

That looks pretty good, indeed. ^_^

Also, from certain descriptions I take the implication that it's perfectly normal and unremarkable in this setting for things to be surrounded by an eldritch purple aura. Tongue

Thanks! It totally is. Smiley
That "aura" is actually an effect to increase the contrast as you wouldn't be able to see the black nails very good without it.

Hand Pencil "That is my light ball." is like.. that over there is my light ball.

"This is my light ball." sounds like it's in your posession.

But also.. "that is my light ball" sounds like your speaking to yourself in your head.. which really fits your game.

Blink  Toast Right

I bet there is a lot to proof read. English is a foreign language after all, so lots of it doesn't come naturally.
The description stays the same for items, no matter if they are still standing on a shelf or have moved into your posession in the meantime. If that proves to be a problem, I can still add (another) mechanism to the description texts. Azn

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2020, 02:21:16 AM »

"that is my light ball"
"there are many like it but this one is mine"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic