Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:48:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBeatEmUp
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BeatEmUp  (Read 3345 times)
yesfish
« on: June 28, 2009, 02:28:04 PM »

So I spent last week converting this thing over to my newly bought Unity. I wish I'd discovered this engine sooner, it's like... what I was trying to make - only, y'know, it was made by pros and not a hack with a general dislike of programming. XD I've just converted the first level really sans enemy behavior, nothing new to show. Although the controls are a lot tighter thanks to the physX character controller (sorry Bullet :p)

But now the whole workaholic behavior "OMG I NEED TO FINISH THIS PROGRAMMING THING THEN I WILL MAEK AN AWESOME GAME" is out of the way, I've had the peace of mind to see how...completely boring my game is. I spent like 95% trying to get the old engine programming to work, 4% on trying to get blender to work, and 1% on the actual concept and the result is just...crap. I hate this game. It's a pinnacle to half a year of wasted effort - sure I've learned a lot which has helped tremendously - working with unity's scripts is almost second nature to me - but I can't stand my creation anymore! XD

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now, I think I'd like to make a simpler concept that's fun (which will still be to sell. <.< ), I might continue this, but I'll probably do it later rather than sooner and start over. (There's not much content to lose anyway)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:12:05 AM by yesfish » Logged
ortoslon
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »

It Doesn't Even Work
a window opens and immediately closes
Error log (Ogre.log)
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 04:51:30 PM »

Works for me, but eh the punching is pretty lame.
People don't usually punch with uppercuts.
Also, the whole flying thing doesn't work very well.
The keys are so randomly choosen, H and K I kept trying to press J

Anyways, good luck try punching the air and animating what kind of movement you think is going on.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

yesfish
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:31:02 AM »

thanks for testing, I'm glad it works for at least one person.

I should call it Shut-Down-For-No-Reason edition because that's all ogre's described in the log. Need better error reporting...

And don't worry bones, those are all known 'bugs' - I'll be fixing them eventually
agamerguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 07:41:18 AM »

It works for me, I was happy to see someone making a beat'em up too!

I understand this is very early though, it's pretty obvious, but I'd suggest looking into be-friending an artist or two, particularly someone who's interested in doing animation.

You mentioned it was going to be commercial, could you expand on that?

All I want to do is keep making games.
yesfish
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 06:57:04 AM »

agamerguy: I'm gonna sell it, I want to make a business.

I think I know what's causing the not-even-working now, but after working for days I can't figure out a solution. OGRE may be the best graphics pipeline I've ever had - I can export from blender and see it in game with complete bone animation and no stupid problems (**** you .fbx)! But that extra layer of abstraction is starting to piss me off. And the way certain things are implemented is leaving me wondering "What were they thinking?!"

So no progress to show in-game, but I've been sent the first character design so I've done some modelling to get away from programming blues. WIP:

My anatomy sucks, I don't like humans. XD

agamerguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:39:08 AM »

agamerguy: I'm gonna sell it, I want to make a business.

Yes, I'm interested since I'm attempting to do something similar. Since you're making it for PC, with Ogre, etc. I was curious what avenue you'd sell it, such as through Steam, Impulse, or some other digital download service, or would you try retail channels (difficult for indie's, but I see http://www.omf.com/ as inspiration). Overall, just curious as to your thought process in this matter.

All I want to do is keep making games.
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 01:51:26 PM »

Works for me; though I did find a bug where I sink into the ground by the waterfall in the first stage.  The animation at the moment is a bit stiff but as this is only early days I'm sure you already knew that!

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
yesfish
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »

Thanks for the bug report, I'll check it out next time I add to the level.

agamerguy: I haven't got this far before so I haven't really bothered thinking about that little detail, lol. I'm gonna try submitting to everyone until someone says yes.

Fixed the suspect faulty code, that ogre2dmanager class in the wiki: outdated and fights the engine's pipeline. Made a better one that uses the pipeline and exists as part of the scene with correct aspect ratio too. Ogre doesn't have an equivilant for glortho(). Which would be excusable if not for the fact that Ogre is a GRAPHICS ENGINE.

Will upload new test when I properly animate the characters, since everyone pays attention to how bad they move. ; )

next design received and modelled

I hope they'll look better textured. And with hair.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 05:16:47 PM »

only  a face a mother could love...
yesfish
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 05:13:53 AM »

status update at top of thread. I'm pretty much giving up this one - but I like closing things.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 09:32:45 AM »

Ah farewell good sir! It was a good run but I will carry the torch with my own beatemup!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic