Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:38:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHornet Virus - 3D helicopter shooter inspired by Zarch/Virus (now on Steam)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Hornet Virus - 3D helicopter shooter inspired by Zarch/Virus (now on Steam)  (Read 2747 times)
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 01:49:32 AM »

I have made a major patch to polish the gameplay and prepare the steam release.

- Weapons except bullets are not infinite anymore. Now you have to buy the weapons with credit while landed on the helipad. you get an extra credit by earning 200 scores.

- Air patrol mode is completely reworked. Separated attack waves per archipelago is now removed but each wave take longer to beat instead. And during the wave you get simple side missions to do while defending bases. Side missions are not mandatory, but you get repair bonus and score for completing them.

- Improved flight controls. Now it's generally more agile and ​ you don't have to tilt the helicopter to almost 90 degree to move forward.

- Fixed lots of bugs.
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1234700/Hornet_Virus_Steel_Alcimus_II/

Hornet Virus is now available on steam !
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 01:22:08 PM »

Why is the regular version free?

Just asking before I get a copy, so I know how best to give you a little support Coffee
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 05:36:57 PM »

Why is the regular version free?

Just asking before I get a copy, so I know how best to give you a little support Coffee

Buying this game is basically a donatation with small rewards including steam leaderboards and achievements.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2020, 02:14:28 AM »

Aww, that's kind. I'll get the paid version then Wink
George2514
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2023, 06:42:44 AM »

Love the look of it! As well as the obvious Virus/Zarch comparison, it reminded me of a game I haven't thought about in 20 years: Return Fire on the PS1 and 3DO.
George2514
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2023, 11:25:50 PM »

:noir:Love the look of it! As well as the obvious Virus/Zarch comparison, https://suika-games.com it reminded me of a game I haven't thought about in 20 years: Return Fire on the PS1 and 3DO.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2023, 06:45:34 AM »

Bought it. Maybe consider bumping the price to ... 2,99 or something? The subjective worth of a game is in part determined by its cost, so 59c or whatever it is now might create the expectation of bullshit. 2,99 or similar is still next to nothing. The asthetics of this game aim for games from the 90s, so your target audience has some money but no time.

Which brings me to my main point: the controls. I tried, I really tried. Only played the tutorial, in which you're thankfully immortal. Because I bumped into anything anytime. The default keyboard controls... WASD was just camera adjustment? Why? It's the default for movement for 20+ years now! After a bit I got the hang of it, but firing weapons was a bit difficult. I used all the rockets and heavy ammo because I didn't find the default button. I tried switching to mouse controls, but the button announced in the tutorial didn't seem to have any effect. Maybe at least have the screen flash once just as a feedback that a change was applied? Next day it somehow worked, but a) mouse controls were even weirder, I found myself mostly stuck in the ground in a vertical pose. And b) the main gun is still on keyboard? I haven't found it, leftclicking didn't seem to do anything.

Thank <deity> for the generous auto aim.

I was expecting a mouse control where I could tilt and turn the copter with mouse movement, but it was more like a diablo "click where you want to head" style? I imagine it's difficult to design a control that fits the intentionally limited perspective, but this one right now is exhausting. How about turning left/right with mouse and pitch with up/down, and WASD to roll left/right (to sidestep) and WS to full/no thrust? Would probably work if the camera was 3rd-person always behind the vehicle.

I will check this out again, maybe there's a cheesy little story glueing together some missions... for now I failed the controls, but I will attempt it again.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 06:50:47 AM by Schrompf » Logged

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic