Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:39:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBryce's Movement Engine¹ - niche, pixel-art, nineties-style platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bryce's Movement Engine¹ - niche, pixel-art, nineties-style platformer  (Read 381 times)
elvisish
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2020, 04:04:44 PM »

Bryce's Movement Engine¹ is a retro-style, niche, abandonware-era platform game, covering 12 zones of colorful, vibrant action, arcade sequences, boss fights and hidden secrets! Score points for goodies and beat your friends to high scores (thanks Steam leaderboards!) and achieve all the achievements to be the envy of your peers!

Be prepared for a trip into yesteryear! Bryce's Movement Engine¹ is an MSDOS Ware meets Post-Trainwreck-era game set in the halcyon days of 1998! Bryce has discovered a time portal in his Big Game Maker™ Box and has uses it to return to 22 years ago when Big Game Maker™ was released!

In a not-entirely-unfamiliar area of an East Virginia-come-New South Wales-come-classic entertainment culture surroundings, he jumps, falls, runs and jetgasses himself around twelve (count them!) zones of nostalgic platforming and arcade action. Be the game!

An all-new classic adventure! BME¹ is the ultimate tribute to a mega-cool era of awesome gaming!

• Think Skunny, Super Bubsy, Wizkid II, Apogee and DOS-era freeware!
  • Dozens upon dozens of Web 1.0 game development in-jokes and obscure references!
  • Anti-heroic protagonist with an adorably utilitarian personality!
  • Original country-jazz AOR/MOR soundtrack!
  • Super slick gameplay on Windows! Modern graphical upgrades and smooth 60fps motion!
  • Occasional pop culture references to late-nineties television and late-eighties music!
  • World map! Long forgotten but sorely missed yet irrelevant high-scores! Both platforming and old-skool arcade gameplay mechanics!
  • Painstakingly sentimental recreation of level designs from an esoteric freeware game series!

...okay, that was the sales-pitch, but I'm actually genuinely curious what you folks think to it. The game is obviously not taking itself very seriously, but I'm interested if the ironic style is coming across as intended. Does the platforming feel good? How is the pacing of each level? Are the patrol enemies satisfactory enough, etc.

All of the sounds were made from scratch using Aly James' FMDrive. The only samples were about 2% of the sound effects (like snow, dirt, specific organic textures) that were manipulated and edited out of several sounds and remastered. All of the music was recorded for the game and all of the art is original (as you'd imagine).

I've not posted a game here before (as I've never finished one before!) so I'm keen to hear any suggestions or advice. I just patched in location names and user input prompt on the map based on feedback from a player, so I'm welcome to any further ideas for improvements!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic