Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:25:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSuper Punchy Face | 2D physics + beat 'em up + roguelike | God Hand + Spelunky
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Super Punchy Face | 2D physics + beat 'em up + roguelike | God Hand + Spelunky  (Read 4107 times)
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2020, 08:26:06 AM »

Super Punchy Face is a roguelike beat 'em up about making your own fighting styles and using everything as a weapon.

It's like if God Hand and Spelunky made a Jackie Chan movie.

Features:

Everything is a weapon - From beanbag chairs to ping-pong paddles, mop buckets to candy boxes, everything can be swung, thrown, kicked, and more to defeat your enemies.

Custom fighting styles - Choose from over 50 techniques to create your unique fighting style. No boring stat boosts, these upgrades augment the mechanics or introduce new ones to make for a unique play experience.

Beat 'em up + Roguelike - A modern take on classic beat 'em up combat that blends physics and clever opponents with procedurally generated levels to ensure it will never stop surprising you with slapstick gameplay.

Heartwarming story - Control titular hero Punchy as they and their uncle stand up to the evil landlord and embark on a wholesome quest to save their dojo from being demolished.

Our approach to combat is like an immersive sim; every object can used as a weapon, enemies can do basically everything the player can, and there's a lot of room for emergent situations. There's a lot more nuance we intend to add to the base systems, but there's going to be even more possible as we update the Fighting Style system with perks, techniques, and full on new attacks.

There's a tutorial and control screen in the game.

It's been tested with Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PS4 controllers. Should work with other kinds?

** LINK **  https://8points.itch.io/super-punchy-face

We are always open to feedback about all aspects of the game. Some specific feedback we're looking for right now:
- Is the combat satisfying, intuitive?
- Are the different techniques exciting? Have you found good synergies? Any ideas for other techniques??

Thanks for checking it out!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:37:23 PM by 8Points » Logged
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 06:04:54 AM »

Oh man, it would help if the download link actually worked... should be fixed now!
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 11:47:56 AM »

I like the pillows!

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 08:01:27 AM »

I downloaded it from itch, but all there was in the .zip was a "SPF 20-1-24.gmz" file...

8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 08:35:13 AM »

Ughhhghghg thanks, Ross. I just uploaded a new zip with the .exe I swear I know how itch.io works...

And fuck yeah The Pillows!!
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 10:27:48 AM »

Hey! We just released a huge update!!

So we're pivoting hard. Dropping the RPG stuff to focus purely on creating your own fighting styles.

Now, it's a roguelite. Randomly generated levels, after each one you pick a perk from a random list, fight till you can't.

It's pretty early, so the difficulty progression is probably not very smooth, and there's really only 1 enemy type though we do have a dumb version of it for early levels.

Cheeeerererererers
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:40:44 AM by 8Points » Logged
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 08:51:50 AM »

Hello 8Points,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 09:45:10 PM »

jbarrios you're a king! Thank you for all the videos you post on this board, its invaluable stuff for all of us.

I'm glad you like the game! I was impressed by how easily you picked it up despite the mouse n keyboard issue. If you have a gamepad, I'd definitely recommend trying it out. And I'll have to smooth that camera out for sure!!

You were actually playing an older build somehow? The over-world thing turned out to be a bit beyond our scope, so we're dropping it for a more straightforward level to level approach. You should try the new version! There's about 30 techniques in total now.

Thanks again!!!
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 12:50:56 PM »

Update!

- smoother camera

- pause menu (press ESC)

- real bounce physics

- all sorts of tiny things :D

We're about ready to start working on art, music and better level generation. Still looking for feedback on the perk/technique system!
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 12:27:47 PM »

Another update!

- 3 new techniques

- New late game enemy type, a real tough cookie.

- Enemies now have a chance to get their own techniques! The chance increases every level. You can tell they have a technique cuz they'll be some funky color.

- Universal controller support?? Only tested with Xbox 360 and PS4 controllers, but apparently it should accept any kind of gamepad!

Also some general bug squashing and some visual polish.

Hope everyone's staying safe out there.
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 05:45:24 AM »

Testing out some of the new enemy art! Trying to figure out how to make animations that;
1) are clearly telegraphed
2) can be used for a a bunch of different weapons
3) won't be too much work for Kyle

This has the arms detached from the body, and we angle them based on where the attack is aimed. I think it could work? Obviously sacrificing some fidelity but with the right animation I think it will be fine.

What do you guys think??
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 11:23:54 AM »

We got another hefty update live, but we also have an alternate version.

Bizarro Punchy doesn't use stamina. There are a few balance changes made to try and compensate for that, but ultimately it allows for a fast paced, non stop, all out brawl.

You can check em both out here!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:13:20 PM by 8Points » Logged
jimmiejohnsson84
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 10:30:55 AM »

Hi,

I've tested your game as well.

I would say in general, the combat is very good. Punches feel meaty and nice. Kicks as well.

The game I tried had 2 levels where Im suppose to knock everyone out I guess to progress to next level.
I saw Justins play through, seems like there are some maps which are more like levels you progress through?
Personally, I like it when there is like a level to progress through, that might be cool to have.

The enemies are cool and I like how they are able to block your hits.
I would like it if they had a kind of obvious pattern, like one guy always kicks and hits then pauses for a while - that is your moment to attack him.
Perhaps the enemies do have these kind of patterns but Im having a hard time seeing them.

In general, I liked your game. The game mechanics are nice.
If I was working on it, I would try to make levels to progress through and make the enemies have clear behaviour patterns that can be observed as a player
and then exploited.

Very cool that you have included a tutorial as well (I saw it in Justins video). That seems to however crash in the version Im running
(bizzaro punchy).
Error code:
of Draw Event
for object obj_wall1:

Trying to draw non-existing sprite.
at gml_Object_obj_wall1_Draw_0
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_obj_wall1_Draw_0 (line -1)

/Jimmie
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 09:52:19 AM »

Hey thank you so much for the playtest!

To be honest, I prefer hand designed levels to proc gen as well. But level design is hard D: and time consuming. We're doing proc gen so we can focus more on the combat and techniques. We're trying to wrap this project up in the next few months so we probably won't get into hand designed levels, but we do plan on adding some levels that have other goals to shake things up. And hopefully the final algorithm will make levels that are more interesting!

Your suggestion of observable enemy patterns is very interesting. I hope that the new art will make it easier to parse the different enemy states, as it's very limited right now. I'm glad the combat holds up despite this!

I've uploaded a new version that fixes the tutorial crash, and also adds some early grab techniques.

Thanks again for your feedback! Definitely have a lot to chew on...
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 11:14:38 AM »

I'm really excited about this update!

Two big things:

1) Enemies now have their own unique, and consistent, suit colors! This makes it easier to keep track of who's-who, and gives them all more character than just being the exact same copy-paste blue suit guy.

2) Customizable controls! Works for both mouse & keyboard as well as gamepads.

These were pretty big technical challenges for me, so I'm really happy I got them working. Hope you guys enjoy these features as much as I do!

The next update will have some new levels that'll break things up by introducing new obstacles and objectives. Once that is implemented, we'll move on to a final boss, and then we can start filling it up with more Content. *jazz hands*
JGalecki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 09:48:30 AM »

I gave the game a playthrough and made it through the tutorial and three levels - here's my thoughts.

I don't remember seeing a tutorial part that explained sprinting, just that sprinting costs stamina. I figured it out eventually.

I feel like either the levels are too large or the default movement speed is too slow. At the end of the first level, I had to traverse most of the level to hunt down the last enemy. It felt like it took a while, and didn't add any fun to the game.

I never saw a chance to use the 'dodge over an obstacle' during the game. Perhaps it would be useful if you were otherwise surrounded by enemies, but that didn't happen for me.

Likewise, I never had an issue with stamina, although that could have been my playstyle.

Enemy AI seemed solid. A couple of times the guys managed to surround me, making the fight more interesting - the goal was 'break out' instead of 'beat up'.

Item placement (both furniture and weapons) seemed a little spread out. I'd suggest trying a version where the density of items is increased.

I read some of the earlier thread about the level generation. One possible suggestion would be to design a few rooms (kitchen, pool hall, storage room, whatever you have the assets for already) and randomly include these inside the level generator. It could give the levels a bit more flavor without having to 'level design' each and every level. As a bonus, you could use these rooms to create interesting combat encounters for the player.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing what future updates will bring.

Currently making: Caravana
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 03:09:52 PM »

Thanks you very much for the feedback, JGalecki!

I just released an update that features smaller opening levels, and it definitely improves the experience, so thanks for that suggestion!

This update also features an early version of "special" levels that show up rarely but change the gameplay in some small but hopefully interesting ways. The first has a time limit. Can't beat up everyone in time, reinforcements show up. The second in suuuper early, but has a unique obstacle in the form of cars driving through the middle of the level. This is pretty goofy, but also fun to try and use them to your advantage.

The other major change in this update is the ability to unlock techniques for use in future runs. You can save up to three techniques at a time, and they properly save between sessions. This way, if you find a technique that you really like, you can always have access to it.

JGalecki, your suggestion about the level design is good. We most likely will end up going with that style of generation. And definitely try to inject more obstacle dodging!!
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2020, 11:53:24 AM »

Ayyyy its been a while!

We got new art!!

Our environment artist @hellowmavw has finished the main hub! It's a youth center / dojo that our hero works at with his uncle Jaygo.

There's been all sorts of changes. The past couple months have been crazy, and I've just been working on getting these new arts working with my ancient-ass code. The gamefeel may be a bit weird, as the characters are much larger on screen now. Once alll the character art is in place, I'll go back and tweak everything.

Anyway, stay safe.
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 01:39:31 PM »

wow its like a whole new game out here.. fully converted all the character art to the new style, environment art is about finished for the dojo, and we got a scripted opening to set up the story and give some context for the combat.

8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 06:57:23 PM »

Happy new year!!

I've been workin on some dramatic changes to the combat system.

- Your attacks and kicks now serve more focused roles. Attacking is for straightforward damage, kicking is for knocking shit around.
- The enemy states are easier to read, and yield more distinct outcomes. And there's more nuance to come!
- Added a proper z axis for more verticality.

Not to mention a new technique where you can drop kick fools

So yeah, jumping over the table they kicked at me, and stunning them because they got hit so hard. :D

Anyway I'm definitely looking for feedback on the intentionality of the combat. Even if you're surprised by something that happens, do you understand why it happened? Is there anything that didn't work the way you expect it to? Or something you tried to do that didn't work?

https://8points.itch.io/super-punchy-face

Let me knowww thanks
- Drew
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic