Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:01:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall[PC] Code E.D. -- a Puzzle Game for Learning Coders
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [PC] Code E.D. -- a Puzzle Game for Learning Coders  (Read 514 times)
rooster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2020, 08:07:53 PM »

After a few years of late nights, I have finally published my first puzzle game "Code E.D." on itch.io. Code E.D. is both a puzzle game and a coding game. I started it with a simple intention to teach my kids to do some basic coding. At first I just wanted to draw them into coding with games. I mean nobody likes to type code into an empty page with no obvious reason -- not even adult. Soon I extended the system to also provide quick coding help, a sort of syntax-driven intellisense. One thing led to another until eventually I built a custom game engine and a debugger on top of it. "Code E.D." is the result. It's a puzzle game to which the players must write code to defeat. The game comes fully equipped with its own coding IDE. On this point I think this is the first coding game with a built-in debugger at the player's disposal. I've added enough tutorials to ease the player's learning curve. Someone who never coded before should still be able to pass the first half of the game in less than an hour if they pay attention. But the latter half isn't that easy even for experienced coders. And if the players really do hit the wall, just look for the "golden keys". Those are answer keys if they need a bail out. Have fun playing and coding!

Published on itch.io
https://jaywee1115.itch.io/code-ed
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:18:33 PM by rooster » Logged
rooster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 09:18:13 PM »

A sample of a solution in one of the stages, posted by dvorak_qwerty.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic