Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:05:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Wreck - hardcore postapocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Space Wreck - hardcore postapocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout  (Read 35641 times)
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2021, 09:01:18 AM »

Say 'HELLO!' to the new user interface!

Based on the feedback from early access ("demo") players we have reworked the main user interface. Today is a small, yet probably most important part - the screenslate is now a dynamic and central part of the whole UI. In compact mode, it displays action/combat log - the same as the bottom left before (and the small screen in the isometric Fallout games). Turns out, many players do pay attention to the descriptions and feedback so it made sense to make it bigger, easier to read. Besides, much like rolling dice, a storyteller fits well with the whole pen-and-paper shtick.

And one last, but possibly a very substantial benefit of the new UI is that we save you a click - you can now open Inventory, CharSheet, ToDo directly as the screen is technically always available.

But this is just the tip of the iceberg - there is a ton of smaller changes all across the board. More on those next time, stay tuned!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 09:09:42 AM by Kamazs » Logged
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2021, 11:31:57 PM »

The new UI looks great! I did not mind the smaller one, but now looking at the new version I see that is a nice improvement.

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2021, 12:11:08 PM »

The new UI looks great! I did not mind the smaller one, but now looking at the new version I see that is a nice improvement.

Thanks! I've watched some letsplays and streams and many of the changes are based on their experience.

But that's not all -

Here's the updated inventory screen. Now utility buttons are right where you need them, there's more space for item description, and a separate tab for stats. You can even compare armor and weapons against your current loadout now.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2021, 12:35:39 PM »

Oh that last bit is very nice
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2021, 12:52:53 PM »

Your equipped weapon is now represented in the bottom left corner with stats, clip size and an icon.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2021, 08:58:22 AM »

Nice!

Something about the plainness of the objects makes it look so much more brutal to me. Like it's saying "this isn't some spectacular cartoon physics kinda situation. This is just going to hurt. A lot."
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2021, 08:39:36 PM »

If you have very low FOCUS (1) you may lose concentration in dialogues or reading computer terminals. If there's too much information, it turns to "bla bla bla" for you.

Why? Because Space Wreck is about role-playing even if it is inconvenient sometimes.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2021, 08:03:38 AM »

Dammit, I already have ADHD in real life, I don't need it in a game!

(nah it's fine)
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2021, 10:48:20 PM »

If you have very low FOCUS (1) you may lose concentration in dialogues or reading computer terminals. If there's too much information, it turns to "bla bla bla" for you.

Why? Because Space Wreck is about role-playing even if it is inconvenient sometimes.

I love your approach to roleplaying and this low focus dialogue is a bold move!

assemblerbot
Level 0

Game dev in Unity / C# / LUA / whatever :-D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2021, 03:19:36 AM »

Very nice! It's also realistic. This is exactly how I feel on the meeting at Monday morning without coffee :D

By the way, it reminds me that the Fallout had similar mechanic if you constantly took psycho and then you wanted to talk to someone, didn't matter which choice you've selected, you've always said something like "bla bla bla" :D

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2021, 05:55:47 AM »

Thanks! I am happy that people appreciate these tiny details!

For this weekend update, though, I have an update for companions:

If you have high CHARM, you can play as a commander, giving direct orders to your followers. That means literally taking over their characters.

That means not just movement. You can directly manage their inventory - what armor, weapon to use, what drugs to consume, etc.

Also, they can use computer terminals and workstations for you, pick locked doors - this way you get to utilize the whole set of skills your team has.

Of course, if you fail the roll, your companions will refuse to follow your orders so this type of gameplay is suitable for high CHARM characters (4+):

P.S.
This is less of a feature and more of a bug fix but you can leave your companions now:

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2021, 12:18:05 PM »

When you fail a pick-pocketing skill check in zero-G…

IMHO pick-pocketing always has been a tricky case in computer RPGs. If PC succeeds, excellent - risk and reward, a spike of adrenalin, skill application. But what if the attempt inevitably fails at some point?

Should NPC turn hostile? It seems a bit overkill (sometimes literally), plus, it may trash relationships with the whole group of people (town). Players would be afraid to use it…

Maybe NPC just grunts and shakes his finger? Turns out, players do love to exploit that - repeating pickpocket attempts until success. I don't mind the exploits per se but in this case, I think it robs the role-playing experience and immersion.

In this case, NPC just instinctively pushes away the criminal. However, because it takes place in space - magnetic soles but it still is zero-G - the push is way more pronounced. You also get light bruising - lose couple of hitpoints - so you cannot keep it up all the time.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2021, 12:40:38 PM »

This is hilarious in a way that is still completely appropriate to the setting, great work!
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2021, 10:17:44 AM »

If you have high CHARM, you can try to solicit sympathy from a hostile NPC. If you succeed the dice roll, the enemy will be unable to shoot you, feeling pitty instead, and let you walk away.

Note that moving closer to the enemy or attacking it will trigger aggression nonetheless.

Something like this -
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2021, 10:12:48 PM »

Destroyed robots are a good source for weapons and ammo but it requires at least minimal technical skills and a tool to extract them.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2021, 04:06:38 AM »

I love how logical all these things feel from a narrative perspective Smiley
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2021, 12:34:25 PM »

One thing that became clear from playthrough videos was that inventory management is a very substantial part of Space Wreck gameplay. To help with this, we added some new improvements that will definitely make life easier -

1) now item entries have small subtype icons associated;
2) there's a progress bar that clearly denotes how much carrying capacity you have left to spare.

I love how logical all these things feel from a narrative perspective Smiley

Yes! Me too!
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2021, 10:48:11 AM »

Welcome to KROGUS-III - a refueling stop and entertainment station in the Asteroid Belt. At least that's what it was 20 years ago, before the Revolt.

===

Yes, this is the location where the demo version (and chapter I) takes place. We are slightly reworking it, that includes also some visual updates - like this.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2021, 05:21:43 AM »

Oh my, that looks perfectly decrepit for the setting!
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2021, 04:24:19 AM »

On space stations and ships, everything is cramped. There is not much space in … errr… space.

This has been a great challenge in development as there are high walls, narrow passages, and a fixed isometric camera. And, considering that game's maps are riddled with "secret" maintenance access tunnels, it is not only a decorative issue.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 04:33:27 AM by Kamazs » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic