Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:48:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Wreck - hardcore postapocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Space Wreck - hardcore postapocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout  (Read 35596 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2021, 07:13:31 AM »

On space stations and ships, everything is cramped. There is not much space in … errr… space.

This has been a great challenge in development as there are high walls, narrow passages, and a fixed isometric camera. And, considering that game's maps are riddled with "secret" maintenance access tunnels, it is not only a decorative issue.
I guess you need to add some "people might expect there to be a secret tunnel but there isn't" fake-outs so it doesn't get too obvious?
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2021, 12:28:06 PM »

As a rule of thumb, these tunnels are usually accessible only via vents. Larger characters - those with high physical (strength) attribute - cannot even squeeze through. (Bigger is not always better in Space Wreck.) But, even if you have a smaller frame, you still need a screwdriver to undo the fixed grating - and if you happen to have a critical failure on your tinker skill roll, you will break the tool and will have to look for another.

Sometimes there are doors that can lead to these vents but these are usually locked and you need to pick a lock or find a keycard then.

All in all, I hope the abundance of obvious tunnels is no problem as there is plenty of work to be done to use them.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2021, 03:05:10 AM »

Good news everyone! Well, sort of...

First, we have a new start to the game - a sort of better version of Temple of Trials. On the other hand - unfortunately, (but, probably, unsurprisingly) - we have to postpone the release. I tried to sandwich this announcement in between E3 and Steam Summer fest but failed even that.

TL; DR

New beginnings

The very first area you start the game - KROGUS III Welcome Terminal - has been significantly expanded and reworked. Now it is your first quest - to get out of the terminal by any means necessary. I have counted 7 ways to do it but there may be more, some of them very simple, others - somewhat complex.

Explore the surroundings, meet a new character, scour the terminals, loot the containers, fight the cambots! You will get a taste of the whole game experience in the first 5-10 minutes.

Acting as a tutorial, this is effectively an escape room.

Item icons and inventory fullness indicator

With this new update, your items will have item type-specific icons, so it is now easier to quickly find, for example, a weapon in the mess of things.  The same goes for sorting toggles which also now feature a visual icon instead of a letter.
The other important thing is the carry load indicator - a big, prominent progress bar on the bottom of the items list. It displays how full your inventory is visual - so it is now easier to "sense" the encumbrance coming before it becomes an actual problem.

Postponed release

Based on the generous user feedback we have received about our demo, the game has drastically improved over these few months. Unfortunately, our original estimates, made before the demo release, have turned out to be imprecise - there is still a lot of work to be done to rework the existing content more in line with the list of improvements discovered from the demo.

As a result, we have to postpone the release. There is no specific date this time because - turns out - it's hard to estimate these kinds of things.
Just a reminder - our free demo version is essentially the first chapter of the full game and we are treating it as Early Access.
If you have some qualms, please let me know here!

Link to Steam announcement: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1063540/announcements/detail/2981927408930105373
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2021, 04:12:05 AM »

Sounds like a great update to the starting area! But yeah, nobody ever correctly guesses how long these projects take Cheesy

Oh, and thanks for the steam link, that just made me realize that I hadn't wishlisted your game yet! Fixed that (I can also check for you if Steam's Proton emulation handles the windows build on Linux sometime later, if you'd like)
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2021, 01:58:54 PM »

Oh, and thanks for the steam link, that just made me realize that I hadn't wishlisted your game yet! Fixed that (I can also check for you if Steam's Proton emulation handles the windows build on Linux sometime later, if you'd like)

Oh, thanks!

And about the Linux - I think I can just build (package) version for Linux straightaway. I was putting it off because I don't have a Linux machine ready to test it on. So yes, I would like your help with testing it on Linux!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2021, 11:55:04 PM »

Alright, ping me when you upload a demo build to steam then I guess? Smiley
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2021, 12:26:43 PM »

Stronger characters can move around barrels and boxes thus changing the environment to fit their needs. You can even build fortifications this way.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2021, 12:00:08 PM »

If spilled, the AnX compound quickly evaporates, filling any room within seconds and knocks out everyone without a spacesuit. The gas disperses quickly but people stay asleep until woken up. You can use this situation to your advantage, of course.

However, there are few caveats:
1) if you are seen doing this, they can become hostile (depending on your reputation);
2) it does not affect robots;
3) the item itself is quite uncommon.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2021, 06:55:09 AM »

I like the Vaudevillian way of sneaking around totally unsuspiciously
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2021, 01:25:59 AM »

You can also disperse knock-out gas in the vents. This way you don't risk detection and exposure.

I like the Vaudevillian way of sneaking around totally unsuspiciously

Yes, she's definitely NOT sus(picious). :D
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2021, 02:13:52 AM »

Oh goodness, I love it when an RPG lets you combine "everything" with "everything"
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2021, 07:45:21 AM »

Oh goodness, I love it when an RPG lets you combine "everything" with "everything"
I feel I might accidentally stumble into immersive-sim territory one day.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2021, 08:12:52 AM »

Space toilets are working now!

And it's not just for fluff - you get +5 temp buff to your carry capacity! Additionally, if you are not wearing clothes, you can take a shower as well, which grants +1 temp bonus to your CHARM. Which can come in handy if NPC usually avoid talking to you.

(And even that is not all of it, if you want, you can take a look inside. You probably should not though.)
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2021, 08:25:22 AM »

Subspray - non-invasive subdermal spray - can deliver any medication without piercing the skin (and patient - noticing).

For example, sleeping meds will knock the NPC out but the effect of any available drug can be applied to the victim.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2021, 01:19:02 AM »

You can stumble upon this biped robot while exploring the derelict space wrecks. Unlike cambots, there is no official info available about this machine though.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2021, 02:21:44 AM »

Why do I feel like it will f me up if I annoy it?
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2021, 12:20:56 PM »

SMPSV Klaipeda is a small multipurpose space vehicle. Those can push containers, shuttle people and cargo, also deploy explosive charges to crumble the asteroid ore. Some of them have had a tumultuous and eventful service this far.

Why do I feel like it will f me up if I annoy it?

It's because you have a self-preservation instinct.
Mete
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2021, 04:20:27 PM »

Man, this game art style looks fantastic! I wish I had skills to do something like that. Very very nice.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2021, 04:51:02 PM »

Unexpected Lithuania reference Who, Me?
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2021, 01:56:24 AM »

Man, this game art style looks fantastic! I wish I had skills to do something like that. Very very nice.

You, sir, are too kind :bow:.

You can check other art from our artist, Ernests Klavins, where he works on a completely different game:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1677770/The_Case_of_the_Golden_Idol/

Unexpected Lithuania reference Who, Me?

Nice catch! But this is not accidental - lore-wise there were companies founded by Lithuanian ex-pats who also tried to capitalize on the booming asteroid mining. Actually, the world of Space Wreck  contains people from lots of countries and nationalities, all mixed up in the modern Gold Rush gone wrong setting.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic