Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:12:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Wreck - hardcore postapocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Space Wreck - hardcore postapocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout  (Read 35308 times)
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2021, 05:54:13 AM »

Basically, with high FOCUS, your character can smell bullshit from afar.

Lie detection is now automatic. And, yes, it sometimes opens new options to confront the NPC.

Context: previously detection was manual but it did not fare well in the testing, so we changed it.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2021, 06:21:14 AM »

Automatic detection sounds like it feels more natural to me. When I spot a lie it is more often subconscious clues, not a conscious decision to look for flaws in someone's argument.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 07, 2021, 12:58:28 PM »

Yup, totally agree.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2021, 01:09:06 AM »

NPCs don't take it kindly if you barge in with a gun in your hand.

Be careful when meeting new people in Space Wreck - to show your friendly intentions better holster your gun, otherwise, they get all tense. Additionally, if you try to talk to someone while holding a gun in their face, you'll get an appropriate reaction and options to say.

Also, note the "shoot" option. If you succeed in a FOCUS roll, you deliver a fatal shot from point-blank range. While that is an effective way to get rid of one NPC, you, of course, will become a faction enemy if there are witnesses.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2021, 04:14:37 AM »

Hahaha, that dialogue option! Love it!

You know, this really drives home the point that it's actually a bit strange that you always have to stand right next to a character to talk to them. Why not let me shout "KNOCK KNOCK MOTHERFUCKER" across the room?

Imagine a game with "shouting dialogue" options at a distance (no, I'm not suggesting you do that, you have enough explosive combinatorial complextity to worry about)

Also, do you think there will be walking animations with a gun in the player's hand at some point? I'm normally not a stickler for this but it's a bit confusing that they're upset at you barging in with a gun in your hand when the graphics don't show a gun
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2021, 07:45:23 AM »

Shouting across the distance? That's an interesting idea. I imagine it could work better without a dialog screen, just, you, set of phrases on the bottom of the interface, changing dynamically, and you can select them at any point so the conversation becomes something without a defined position and state...

But this is probably not for this game, yeah.

As per gun-equipped animation, yeah, that would be better but, unfortunately, we will probably skip as it is low on priority list.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2021, 08:20:14 AM »

Yeah I figured. Gotta prioritize!
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 23, 2022, 08:34:44 AM »

Once again we have reworked our UI, this time changing the layout so that all on-screen interface elements are grouped around the screen slate. This way all you need is in one place.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2022, 08:59:27 AM »

Nice

As a leftie: would a left-handed mode that swaps the HP with the right side interface element be a lot of work to add? Wink
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2022, 09:13:24 PM »

As a leftie: would a left-handed mode that swaps the HP with the right side interface element be a lot of work to add?

Interesting idea! But, yeah, I actually wanted to try to switch the elements just to see how it feels, but there's a bit of tinkering I don't want to get into right now - e.g. x-flipping the UI graphics is not enough, you have actually probably make separate left/right versions.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2022, 01:42:23 AM »

It only really matters when playing this game on a tablet-like device anyway, lefties are used to using the desktop/laptop "mouse" with their right hand in my experience.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2022, 10:24:39 PM »

If you step out in the vacuum of the space, your helmet's visor slowly fogs up.

This helps to identify change of the environment - which is important, considering that outside you need a space suit or you'll take damage. And, also, I feel it adds a bit of immersion. I have glasses and live in country with cold winters and the fogging up can be a real pain in the ass.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2022, 02:38:41 AM »

Oh that is subtle but really cool once you notice it!

Also you just hit me with some serious Metroid Prime nostalgia  Wink
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2022, 02:53:42 AM »

Disabling security in Space Wreck is not just an ON/OFF option. After you pass the initial scitec check, you can

• disable the bots right away
  • turn the robot friendly with an additional scitec
  • take over cambot directly with additional tools (Soldering iron) and component (R/C controller) and succesful tinker skill check
Each of these options has its own nuanced benefits. For example, if you disable the bot, you can scavenge it for parts. If you turn it friendly, it will attack your enemies. If you take them over directly, the bot actually is "neutral" and that allows you to scout an area ahead without engaging in direct combat.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2022, 11:42:05 AM »

I don't know if I mentioned it before but I just love the dice roll animation, it feels so pen and paper Smiley
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2022, 01:42:18 AM »

Yes! We did try a lot of dice-related animations until we ended up with this. I think, for the better.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 08, 2022, 12:11:04 PM »

In Space Wreck you get experience ONLY for completing todos (quests). That means combat is not a source of XP.

Quite often in RPGs, it is disproportionally lucrative to murder anything that moves, because it grants XP and thus makes your character more powerful. Sometimes it even prompts some meta-gaming. We wanted to avoid that and, also, escape associated XP inflation. No matter if your character is Rambo or Gandhi (non-Civ version), you'll have the same XP potential. (Well, sort of. Depending on your WORK attribute, your XP rate can vary very strongly - from 80% to almost 200%. But that's a different story.)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2022, 02:51:20 AM »

Nice!

> Well, sort of. Depending on your WORK attribute, your XP rate can vary very strongly - from 80% to almost 200%. But that's a different story.

Can you elaborate on that in a future post? Are you worried about meta-gaming based on however that mechanic works?
Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2022, 03:06:26 AM »

Man each time I see your blog I get overwhelmed by the huge scope of the game.

How are you holding up and keeping focus?

And also congratulations! I stumbled across your project many times on youtube and Twitter. You have Good coverage  Gentleman

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 01, 2022, 04:01:08 AM »

Thanks!

Nice!

> Well, sort of. Depending on your WORK attribute, your XP rate can vary very strongly - from 80% to almost 200%. But that's a different story.

Can you elaborate on that in a future post? Are you worried about meta-gaming based on however that mechanic works?
WORK is a bit of an odd attribute, so I'll address the experience rate aspect in a larger context.

When creating your character, you have to distribute limited number of attribute points accross 5 main attributes, including WORK. That means that every point invested in WORK is not invested in, e.g., PHYSICAL or CHARM etc., that means you have sacrifice either health or conversation options. However, every point invested in WORK, converts to a skill point which you can use to increase SPEECH, SCITEC, RANGED etc..

That means if you want to have skilled character, you invest in WORK. But if you don't, you end up with more attribute points to PHYSICAL, CHARM etc. which sort of represents a talented but inexperienced person (lower skill levels).

However, all that is static and fixed after the creation of character. In the game WORK affects the rate of how fast you are gaining XP/Stress. And the difference is quite noticeable - your XP coeficient is 40% at WORK 1 and 200% at WORK 5. That means that a typical side quest  with nominal reward 10 XP will yield you something between 4 to 20 XP points.

Of course, that means you are getting level-ups much more often with higher WORK, so it seems max out WORK should be no-brainer. It is...but there are some minor caveats.

1) If you maxed out WORK, it means (as we discussed in the beginning) that other major attributes are lower. Your health is lower, or your chances of getting laid (a viable social mechanic) are limited, or your speed (AP points) are low, you cannot evade attacks as good as other character builds could. Basically, you have sacrificed some of your abilities already. And, bear in mind, these attributes usually cannot be increased in game via levelups or any other way, so that is significant sacrifice.

2) And the other thing - levelups are not necessarily exclusively good. You gain marks - conditional, situational tiny adjustments to your character (I will post about them next time) but there's a catch - on every even levelup besides a positive mark, you have to take also a negative one (e.g. Overweight which reduces your speed, AP). And the more xp you get, the more negative quirks you accumulate.

In the end, maxxed out WORK could be too good and unbalanced, main thing that it should force you into a different play style if you choose to. After all, you can complete the game with all the attributes and skills at minimum.

Quote from: Ramos
Man each time I see your blog I get overwhelmed by the huge scope of the game.

How are you holding up and keeping focus?

And also congratulations! I stumbled across your project many times on youtube and Twitter. You have Good coverage

Thanks! Comments like this actually help a lot Smiley. And happy to hear that our game is out there.

I don't know for sure, but I can guess that publicly available demo version and regular feedback from people, even just about GIFs like this, is a significant motivator. So, thanks! :D
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic