Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:08:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Wreck - hardcore postapocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: Space Wreck - hardcore postapocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout  (Read 35632 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 01, 2022, 09:25:51 AM »

Thanks!

Nice!

> Well, sort of. Depending on your WORK attribute, your XP rate can vary very strongly - from 80% to almost 200%. But that's a different story.

Can you elaborate on that in a future post? Are you worried about meta-gaming based on however that mechanic works?
WORK is a bit of an odd attribute, so I'll address the experience rate aspect in a larger context.

When creating your character, you have to distribute limited number of attribute points accross 5 main attributes, including WORK. That means that every point invested in WORK is not invested in, e.g., PHYSICAL or CHARM etc., that means you have sacrifice either health or conversation options. However, every point invested in WORK, converts to a skill point which you can use to increase SPEECH, SCITEC, RANGED etc..

That means if you want to have skilled character, you invest in WORK. But if you don't, you end up with more attribute points to PHYSICAL, CHARM etc. which sort of represents a talented but inexperienced person (lower skill levels).

However, all that is static and fixed after the creation of character. In the game WORK affects the rate of how fast you are gaining XP/Stress. And the difference is quite noticeable - your XP coeficient is 40% at WORK 1 and 200% at WORK 5. That means that a typical side quest  with nominal reward 10 XP will yield you something between 4 to 20 XP points.

Of course, that means you are getting level-ups much more often with higher WORK, so it seems max out WORK should be no-brainer. It is...but there are some minor caveats.

1) If you maxed out WORK, it means (as we discussed in the beginning) that other major attributes are lower. Your health is lower, or your chances of getting laid (a viable social mechanic) are limited, or your speed (AP points) are low, you cannot evade attacks as good as other character builds could. Basically, you have sacrificed some of your abilities already. And, bear in mind, these attributes usually cannot be increased in game via levelups or any other way, so that is significant sacrifice.

2) And the other thing - levelups are not necessarily exclusively good. You gain marks - conditional, situational tiny adjustments to your character (I will post about them next time) but there's a catch - on every even levelup besides a positive mark, you have to take also a negative one (e.g. Overweight which reduces your speed, AP). And the more xp you get, the more negative quirks you accumulate.

In the end, maxxed out WORK could be too good and unbalanced, main thing that it should force you into a different play style if you choose to. After all, you can complete the game with all the attributes and skills at minimum.

Quote from: Ramos
Man each time I see your blog I get overwhelmed by the huge scope of the game.

How are you holding up and keeping focus?

And also congratulations! I stumbled across your project many times on youtube and Twitter. You have Good coverage

Thanks! Comments like this actually help a lot Smiley. And happy to hear that our game is out there.

I don't know for sure, but I can guess that publicly available demo version and regular feedback from people, even just about GIFs like this, is a significant motivator. So, thanks! :D

Leveling up being a double-edged sword sounds like an interesting mechanic, curious to see how that feels in practice!
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 21, 2022, 09:02:38 PM »

1.1.96 Starmap update

Decision map, character marks, weapon holster and many other changes.
While working on the full version of the game, many more minor and bigger improvements have piled up and will be released to the demo version in this major update. That includes:

• Star map with your story decisions mapped out and visualized.
  • The new level-up system with positive/negative character marks.
  • UI adjustments - notifications, new inventory/looting interface layout.
  • New starting preset for "combat" char.
  • Holster/unholster weapon button to avoid weird hostile reactions.
  • Updated also some demo quests with additional options, particularly Finn Alley's arc.
  • Obstacle highlighting while targeting or zero-G leaping.
  • NPC behaviours in combat and as companions.
Here is the news post on Steam (with pictures!):
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1063540/view/3180116240854404477
Feardemic_Michal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2022, 06:03:01 AM »

Looking very promising, I love the style!
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2022, 11:04:36 AM »

Looking very promising, I love the style!

Thanks! Very happy to hear you like the visuals!
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 03, 2022, 08:41:15 PM »

Junk items can be a useful distraction. Handy, if you want to lure unsuspecting NPCs to a more favourable position.

This is a small mechanic but it 1) makes `junk` items more useful; 2) gives you tools to manipulate character positions.

This, along with location design  - small sandbox hub worlds with absolute freedom to explore, functional items - poisonable bottles, floor cutting tools etc., and many ways to approach the objective, multi-layered story structure - have been inspired by Hitman games.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 04, 2022, 02:17:46 AM »

This is slowly turning into a "the devs thought of everything" type of game and I'm here for it Smiley
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2022, 07:32:12 AM »

A new addition to the arsenal: a crowd-control weapon, shockgun. While it deals less damage per hit and uses unpopular ammo, it's a blast when you have a tightly packed group of enemies...

Also, on a side note, you are not the only one that can zero-G-kick people around...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 07:37:22 AM by Kamazs » Logged
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 15, 2022, 10:12:51 AM »

Meet the qtank - a small and deceivingly cute armoured drone on magnetic tracks.

Allegedly the company wanted a friendly security bot because the cambots - deadly metal spiders - were understandably freaking out a lot of people. Hence the name.
Still, don't let the cute looks fool you - qtank does pack a punch. In fact, the drone is equipped with a variation of Horsestopper gun which is specifically designed to knock the target off its feet upon hit.

Of course, engineer characters can obtain this weapon from the wreckage of a downed bot but it is not designed for humans, so there are skill penalties if you decide to use it.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2022, 12:52:16 PM »

Allegedly the company wanted a friendly security bot because the cambots - deadly metal spiders - were understandably freaking out a lot of people. Hence the name.
I freaking love this lore Grin

Of course, engineer characters can obtain this weapon from the wreckage of a downed bot but it is not designed for humans, so there are skill penalties if you decide to use it.
Can they build turrets?
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2022, 01:05:15 PM »

The new demo Arsenal Update 1.1.123 is available on Steam now!

More in the post here:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1063540/view/3416570446108840995

But in short:
  • a little bit of new content - quest/location
  • new weapons: Horsestopper, Shockgun
  • new enemy: qtank
  • improved UI scaling/flexibility
  • doors to inspect and key remotes
  • a lot of bug fixes.

---

Can they build turrets?

No, but the best engineers can build a gun that takes over hostile robots and turns them into permanent allies.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2022, 01:17:50 AM »

I sadly avoid demos because I don't want to be spoiled for the full game (it's a bit like trailers and movies), but nice!
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2022, 08:30:22 AM »

Space Wreck Full Version Early Access will be released
on December 5, 2022

Short new trailer:

Read more: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1063540/view/3416570446113130448

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2022, 08:58:14 PM »

TIME TO SPEND MONEY ON THIS MOST BLESSED OF ST NICHOLAS EVES! Hand Money Left Waaagh! Hand Money Right

... the "bad" news is that the calculated date of my first child is the 4th of December, so I won't actually have any time to playtest this in the early access period because Tired
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2022, 10:35:08 PM »

That's great to hear, best of luck for the EA launch!

... the "bad" news is that the calculated date of my first child is the 4th of December, so I won't actually have any time to playtest this in the early access period because Tired

That is also wonderful to hear, all the best to you, your partner and the little one for the birth!

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2022, 02:56:51 AM »

Congrats! These are not bad news at all! Wonderful news instead!

Besides, the game is concerned, it is like a vine - it is improved over time, so win-win. :D

That's great to hear, best of luck for the EA launch!

Thanks!
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2023, 09:05:37 AM »

Ironically, space is really precious...in space. That's why the ships, stations - the levels in the game are so cramped, and sometimes hard to navigate.

I think our next update improve things: pixel-perfect selection should make the navigation and interactions easier.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 11, 2023, 10:34:19 AM »

Although I obviously have no before/after point of comparison since I haven't played anything yet, in general in janky mouse selection in games is one of those pet peeves that can actually infuriate me when it's baad, so well done to take that issue seriously! Coffee
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2023, 10:47:20 AM »

That's deceivingly simple functionality but for this game, it was a technical challenge. Small thing, a lot of effort :D.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2023, 10:15:33 AM »

Do you sometimes get frustrated by dice just not rolling your way?

- Introducing *Nominal tablets* in the next update - take one and remove any RNG from your skill checks whatsoever!

(Warning: potential side effects may apply.)

RNG in RPGs is a hot topic - opinions tend to differ. Even Fallouts tried it both ways - originals with dice rolls under the hood and New Vegas with fixed skill gates. In Space Wreck we actually tried both of these approaches - originally fixed gates but eventually refactored everything to dice rolls. The chance distribution is natural  - rolls tend to fall mostly around the nominal value. However, there is undoubtedly a certain level of randomness. And that can and does frustrate players from time to time.

To alleviate this feeling, we are adding optional tools to the game. One of them can be seen in the GIF - drugs that remove randomness. In-game, it's a type of medication that removes both anxiety and excitement and dulls your character's senses, so they can perform adequately to their competence. Your character will not come up with unexpected ingenious ideas or find extra strength with an adrenaline rush but, on the other hand, doesn't have to worry about performance anxiety and underperforming. The drawback is that experience is suppressed too as you don't challenge yourself and won't grow.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2023, 02:38:24 AM »

Nice, I love it when game mechanics get in-universe lore
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic