Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:40:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Wreck - hardcore postapocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Space Wreck - hardcore postapocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout  (Read 35591 times)
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2020, 08:49:41 AM »

Minebots - actually space mining equipment, are used to work extracted and processed space ore. Even though these machines float in microgravity, they posses surprisingly large mass and are propelled by small rocket engines. That is why ordinarily human personnel is not allowed to work alongside the minebots - it is just too dangerous.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2020, 09:52:46 AM »

While I'm working on quests without much of a visual output, the artist is updating older assets, like this shuttle:

Previously

New shuttle
marcAKAmarc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 02:16:11 PM »

Looks awesome!  Following! Hand Any Key

MayRoyal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 02:58:04 PM »

Can I just say, I really love the visual style of the game. Especially the tile outlines when you selection them and the drop down menu. There's something really rough but soothing about it thats really appealing to the eye. The computer UI is great too. Looking forward to seeing more of this!
Earworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 11:16:10 AM »

This looks really interesting. I'm a hug fan of the Fallout series, although I didn't really play the original isometric style games. This makes me want to go back and check them out.

Which direction will you be taking the soundtrack for this? Atmospheric, ambient, rythmic and unsettling like the original Fallout score? I could also see it going in more of a synthy, cyberpunk direction as well.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 03:40:20 AM »

Thank you for the comments!

Looks awesome!  Following! Hand Any Key
Thanks! Awesome!

Can I just say, I really love the visual style of the game. Especially the tile outlines when you selection them and the drop down menu. There's something really rough but soothing about it thats really appealing to the eye. The computer UI is great too. Looking forward to seeing more of this!
I am glad it's not just me :D. At the moment there are two color schemes to choose from.

This looks really interesting. I'm a hug fan of the Fallout series, although I didn't really play the original isometric style games. This makes me want to go back and check them out.
That is possibly one of the biggest compliments anyone has given me about the game. Thank you. Gentleman

Which direction will you be taking the soundtrack for this? Atmospheric, ambient, rythmic and unsettling like the original Fallout score? I could also see it going in more of a synthy, cyberpunk direction as well.
I was inspired by Mark Morgan and his ambient set pieces.

As a matter of fact, you can hear some of the Space Wreck music in this new video I just finished.

In two and a half minutes I try to broadly explain what this post-apocalyptic space role-playing game "Space Wreck" is all about. And there's also plenty of fresh visuals in the video.

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2020, 06:34:54 AM »

A very short clip from the intro sequence we've been working on. Shows you arriving to the starting location - wreck of the rock ship KURBADS.

(If you watch with sound on, you'll get a sense of atmosphere I am going for)
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2020, 12:11:49 AM »

Looking and feeling awesome!

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 11:45:33 PM »

Looking and feeling awesome!
Thanks! Much appreciated!
Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2020, 03:54:10 AM »

This seems like huge amount of work but the potential is very big.

Any prediction for beta, full release, developement on a time frame?
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2020, 01:23:08 PM »

Any prediction for beta, full release, developement on a time frame?

Funny thing is, I released this game already 2 years ago Smiley. There's even a let's play video on it somewhere.

But that was very different version, both visually and conceptually. I have improved upon that in every aspect, I think.

February 25, 2021, is the current EA release target. There will be closed BETA demo before that.

Meanwhile, here's next progress update: working on an intro sequence, here's yet another clip - players arrival to the starting location, derelict rock ship KURBADS.

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2020, 03:05:20 PM »

Ih i did not knew that
What kind of improvments will be in compare to old version?

And how can one join the beta?
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2020, 07:20:42 AM »

The tiniest thing, really - you can ask NPCs to move aside. However, whether they will comply - that depends on your SPEECH skill roll.

What kind of improvments will be in compare to old version?

Too many to count. The most obvious, of course, is completely different art. We went from slightly amateurish hand-drawn graphics to proper pixelart. The UI has survived a heavy overhaul as well. Dialogs now have portraits. The skill checks went from constant skill-gates to actual dice rolls. And the story... well story is kind of the same but  there's a lot of new detail added, new locations, and the sequence is different. And bugs...of course.
In short, a lot. Almost like completely new game.

The let's play I mentioned is here:

And how can one join the beta?

Once I'm ready, I'll drop the news on my channels, here as well.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2020, 09:54:59 PM »

Sneak peek into the new ...uh....sneak peek system. Principle is simple: the better your sneak skill, the smaller NPC detection area. If you step into their FOV, roll for each tile.

TL;DR

Actually, it's the difference between your sneak skill and NPC's PERCEPTION attribute that determines the extent of the FOV field. However, when you step into the FOV, your sneak is rolled against NPC's FOCUS. Then there's also the concept of alertness - NPCs can have level of alertness and what it means is that sneak roll has to fail multiple times before NPC spots you. The less alert they are, the more forgiving they are (hence FOCUS). Also, if you are sneaking past some non-hostile humanoids, your CHARM plays a role as well - it decreases or increases NPCs alertness depending on how charming you are. If you are likable person (high CHARM), they will be more lenient, however if you are repulsive bastard (low CHARM), they'll be looking over your shoulder all the time.
Lance of Longinus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2020, 01:27:31 PM »

I love the monochrome minimalist retro computer style of the menus.

On what distribution platforms will this game be released?
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2020, 12:06:24 AM »

I love the monochrome minimalist retro computer style of the menus.
Happy to hear it! I am really glad people can appreciate a lo-fi nowadays.

On what distribution platforms will this game be released?
Primarily - Steam but also itch.io.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »

Major changes to the combat flow - now there are no "basic" attacks anymore - you always have to make a decision as there are multiple options with nuances. Kind of like JRPG a bit.

TL;DR

In the GIF you can see two ranged options: STEADY SHOT and QUICK SHOT. This whole combat rework stems from the combat problem in Fallout - at some point I realized that the best strategy is to run to your enemy close and then shoot her/him/it in the eyes. Max out precision and damage. While it does not take away from the enjoyment of Fallout, I decided to try to mitigate this problem in my version. That's where the STEADY SHOT and QUICK SHOT flow comes in.

STEADY SHOT is actually your base shot, without any modifiers. (At least, at the moment.) It is quite deadly if successful (a lot of damage and char HP is usually low). But the caveat is - you can use it only if you are standing still, actually, if it is your first action in the turn. As soon as you spend some AP, you cannot have STEADY SHOT that turn. You can shoot and then move, sure, but shot must come first. The logic being that you must be steady when discharging a weapon, not moving or reloading or smth.

QUICK SHOT however is available at any time, yet it is less efficient (half the precision or damage - I am working it out atm). But then, again, it costs only half the AP of a STEADY SHOT, so you could squeeze twice as many in one turn.

So, if you see an enemy, you now have the option to either shoot it from the distance or run closer to it and then attack with better hit chance. However, if you do so, your damage/precision would be significantly limited and, if you fail to land the killing shot, you will find yourself in compromised position close to the enemy who now can just take a full power/precision STEADY SHOT at you (which could kill you instantly). And then retreat with spare APs. On the other hand, if you keep your distance and try STEADY SHOT, you engage with an enemy in a firefight which - to me at least - seems a bit more realistic and interesting. That's also where your skill prowess comes in handy - if you have higher RANGED skill or/and PERCEPTION, you'll have an edge. Then, again, if you have a lot of AP and EVASION, you might still try rushing an enemy, because you could do a lot of QUICK SHOT's per turn and just overwhelm your opponent with bullets.

That's my reasoning. And that's actually the whole point I changed the system to JRPG-like combat menu. Those now offer more possibilities, not only for shots but MELEE skill as well. But more about those some other time.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2020, 09:45:39 PM »

Last week I introduced the combat menu and how it can offer you tactical options besides basic attack. This time the story continues with the SHOVE mechanic.

Canonically in Space Wreck gravity is simulated on off world ships and stations by magnetic shoes and ferromagnetic surfaces where possible. However, should you detach from said surface, you'd be floating in zero-G (that's why knocked out characters can be seen floating in some previous GIFs). In combat this can be used to your advantage - if you pass a MELEE skill roll against opponents EVASION difficulty, you can hurl your adversary across the room until it will crash into something. While this is more of a positioning move, upon contact with e.g. wall, enemy will suffer a damage that is proportional to his/hers current carry weight - in other words - more loot in inventory, more hit points will be lost.

Possible uses: a great way to put some distance between you and your foes or a way to prevent being surrounded. Or just, you know, shoving off
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2020, 08:57:35 AM »

Evasion is not exactly automatic - if you end turn with action points to spare, every 2 of them grant you a roll. Or you can use COUNTER move proactively, to be ready for an attack and retaliate on success.

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2020, 02:53:14 AM »

There are subtle nuances to the turn based combat in Space Wreck, e.g., since the action takes places on derelict stations in outer space, basic push can have serious implications.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic