Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 11:57:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Wreck - hardcore postapocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Space Wreck - hardcore postapocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout  (Read 35556 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2020, 05:06:00 AM »

However, should you detach from said surface, you'd be floating in zero-G (that's why knocked out characters can be seen floating in some previous GIFs). In combat this can be used to your advantage - if you pass a MELEE skill roll against opponents EVASION difficulty, you can hurl your adversary across the room

It would be extremely funny if some kind of critical fail were to launch you in the opposite direction

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2020, 11:15:51 AM »

It would be extremely funny if some kind of critical fail were to launch you in the opposite direction
It would be hilarious but I fear players would be extremely frustrated as it is essentially an instant death because of a bad roll.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2020, 12:30:15 AM »

I like that series of Aaahs as the person whirls to outer space. Still I wonder: who is friend, who is enemy? Or is this just an setup to show off the shove action?

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2020, 07:57:04 AM »

I like that series of Aaahs as the person whirls to outer space.

Budget ASCII sound FX galore!

Still I wonder: who is friend, who is enemy? Or is this just an setup to show off the shove action?

In this shove case player has secretly infiltrated the group of, err, let's call them "enemies", and kicks off the combat by, well, literally kicking off that poor unsuspecting Santiago guy into the oblivion. Since the combat is turn based, rest of the gang get to react one after another, starting with the man to the left yelling at you.

This is an actual encounter, I'm just using it to illustrate the mechanic.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:15:30 AM by Kamazs » Logged
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2020, 04:46:00 AM »

The lo-fi NPC portraits have become a significant part of SW's visual identity. And recently I have started to use artificially created human faces instead of real photos. For this I am using a service called https://generated.photos/use-cases and when they learned about my game, they reached out to me to learn more and later added Space Wreck to their use case section, which, I think is pretty cool for a small project this game is.

Here's excerpt that lists reasons why are we starting to do this:

It is not easy to find a suitable portrait for every character in the game, especially since we have a limited budget and cannot afford models and photo shoots. Even though we have a pool of photos to work with, sometimes you need something very specific - ethnicity, hair, age - and the right angle. That can be a big problem and the one that Generated Photos solves well - you can specify quite detailed parameters and then have a selection of consistent portraits to choose from. And another less common but important aspect is that there are times when we need to portray less than admirable characters, and then it is safer and worry-free to use artificial "actors"."

Below are some of those generated photos in game:

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2020, 01:50:43 PM »

I like the look, mix of 16 colors and 2 color modes. Game looks pretty solid. Good memories from the first Fallout. Searching for water chip, Deathclaw met for the first time, can't believe it's more than 20 years.

Not lot of time to play games (let alone RPG-s) now while developing, but wish-listed anyway. Smiley

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2020, 10:27:30 PM »

Not lot of time to play games (let alone RPG-s) now while developing, but wish-listed anyway. Smiley

Aww, thanks! Btw, this is intentionally short games exactly because of the reasons you mentioned. I don't have much time to play games myself, so I decided world needs a bite sized hardcore RPG experience. SW is intended to be like a bit longer movie, played through in one sitting. But! You could play it again, with different character build or different choices. I am trying to follow Warren Spector's advice -

Quote from: Warren Spector
I'd rather do something that's an inch wide and a mile deep than something that's a mile wide and an inch deep
vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2020, 01:05:16 PM »

Ahh, so then when it's for several hours of gameplay, then my interest grown rapidly. Wink

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2020, 11:06:26 PM »

The most recent addition to the Space Wreck fleet - "Sprīdītis". With a crew of up to 12 and space for cargo, this small relay ship was usually dispatched to fix mining equipment wherever needed.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2020, 11:17:08 AM »

OMG how did I miss this devlog until now? The original Fallout games are right up my alley!
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2020, 09:33:21 PM »

The original Fallout games are right up my alley!

We apparently live in the same alley!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2020, 12:27:21 AM »

Hello neighbor Smiley
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2020, 01:43:59 AM »

I'll also be following this. I did not play Fallout this much but you are tickling my classic X-Com bone. Keep up the good work!

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2020, 01:13:18 AM »

[..] tickling my classic X-Com bone. Keep up the good work!
Thanks! This might be because Fallout's combat was inspired by the classic X-Com and in turn inspired the combat in SpaceWreck:D.
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2020, 04:08:21 AM »

I am currently working on a content and thus there's less to share. However there's a tiny bit of general game play to show off: crit fails.

As many role playing games, Space Wreck sports dice rolls and when you roll very low, it is a critical fail. This can happen with many interactions, most common being combat, but it also can happen to your character when trying to engage in a conversation. There are two rolls - CHARM and speech. CHARM determines whether the other person is actually willing to engage you and if you fail it, it means she/he perceives you as ugly, repulsive, maybe frightening and does not want to talk to you.

You can, then, try to force conversation by speaking to him/her but that's a speech roll and if you fail it, then you cannot muster a word out of your mouth, basically you are frozen, overwhelmed by anxiety. If you have failed both of those rolls there's a third way out - take a sip of any alcohol. That'll boost your self confidence and allow you to force yourself upon the other person even if they don't want to talk to you.

Worth noting that if you have above average CHARM/speech (3+) then you'll never fail this way, these outcomes are reserved for people who sacrifice those social stats. This also may force you to look for other ways to achieve your goal.

My ultimate goal was to improve the role-playing experience, to change a little bit of your game play if you decide to have low stats.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2020, 05:32:37 AM »

This sounds amazing. Somewhat controllable, as in "Does not fail critically anymore in Speech3 and upwards", limits the perceived randomness of these dice rolls.

How I hated "chance to hit: 95%" in XCOM and then miss a shot. Yeah, it can happen, I know how statistics work. But it would have been nice to have any safe areas at all in these ranges of random outcomes. From the sound of it you strike the right balance between randomness and reliable outcomes of character stats

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2020, 09:42:41 AM »

This sounds amazing. Somewhat controllable, as in "Does not fail critically anymore in Speech3 and upwards", limits the perceived randomness of these dice rolls.

Interesting observation! To be honest, it was not my idea when doing this but now that you point it out, it does make sense.  Cool

For today there is a story of two faces of one attribute.

Like in many RPGs, there are vents in Space Wreck. However, there's a twist - they have a size parameter attached, so you can be "too big" for that opening.

I think this adds another role playing nuance to the game - if you want to play as a tanky character with lots of HP and carry weight, you can not squeeze through the tight vents. Lighter characters, in turn, can take advantage of this - e.g. navigate around enemies, access locations, get loot.
vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2020, 01:21:35 PM »

Nice and original. Maybe you can expand on idea. If you have stealth around, being "too big" means higher chances of being seen, uncovered and vice versa.

Kamazs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2020, 10:06:44 PM »

Nice and original. Maybe you can expand on idea. If you have stealth around, being "too big" means higher chances of being seen, uncovered and vice versa.

That does make sense, indeed. Will think about it. Thanks!
kevin andersson
Level 1

Producer/ Designer by day and Programmer by night

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2020, 01:23:18 PM »

First time seeing this project, looks really cool! Will come back and watch this Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic