Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:30:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignAesthetic Layering for the Refined and Unrefined
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Aesthetic Layering for the Refined and Unrefined  (Read 22632 times)
Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2007, 01:32:41 AM »

But you're still excluding the less creative people, the people who need to be guided by the hand and are uncomfortable making up their own games within your game. And I'm not saying you shouldn't exclude them, just that a very open game tends to appeal to the more artistic sort of person.

You're probably right. I'm probably making the same mistake that Chris Bateman tends to accuse the hardcore gamer/programmer types of designers of: that they make games assuming everybody is like them.
It's hard, though, I think, to make games for people who are different than yourself. The best way to do it, is probably to work together with people who are different than you. But that is also hard to do.

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
Eden
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2007, 01:33:39 AM »

Rinku:
I guess some artists are more intuitive than others. When I'm composing a piece, I don't really think about why I'm putting a specific note somewhere. It just happens. With games, I guess it's a more calculated sort of thing though. (Not that I've finished my game yet but that's what I've found so far).
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2007, 01:48:06 AM »

I think music composition is definitely more inspirational, yeah. My father is a composer (he made a lot of the music for Immortal Defense) and says he likes to finish a work in a short burst of creativity and then only edit it consciously in minor ways after that, the next day. He's also a painter and paints that way. But I think longer, more extended projects like movies and novels and games may have more need (or at least more room) for deliberation. There'd be no need for a feedback forum or playtesting if inspiration were all it took to make a great game.

Also, if I want to communicate with myself I think something like meditation or a private journal would be easier for me than making a game if the goal is just to know myself better. Though I also think that my ideal audience I keep in mind when making a game is 'a slightly younger version of myself'.

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2007, 12:55:41 PM »

I play the video games.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic