Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:43:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesCompletely open source game for everyone to participate
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Completely open source game for everyone to participate  (Read 2935 times)
l0bster
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2020, 11:55:31 AM »

I'm just brainstorming, but let me get this thing off my mind and let me dream.
The idea is a game that is completely open source where the foundation is already made by someone (let's say me) - the project would be hosted on a platform like github and everyone who wants to be part of it, can participate by programming features, adding graphics, music etc. Although everyone can participate, to prevent bugs, or just bad behaviour there would be a control instance (let's say me, or other trustworthy people), who would check the code and would have to approve it, before it gets added.
Let's say i would make a top down engine, with tiles, basic enemies, with helper functions that can be used everywhere, and other people could create enemies with their own AI, attack patterns etc.
But it wouldn't be limited to just expanding existing stuff, also completely new features, like let's say fishing could be added.
Do you think it would be possible to get other people on board for such a thing?
Imagine this as a game jam, but everyone works on the same game - and the motivation would be, to create a super feature-rich open world game, with a huge amount of interactivity.
Foxwarrior
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 09:14:45 AM »

Is this Roblox?
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 02:27:16 PM »

Visit https://blokaroka.com for an open source desktop game!
Contributions welcome!

l0bster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 12:12:23 PM »

Is this Roblox?

Is this really how roblox was created? I avoided everyhing about roblox until now^^

Contributions welcome!
nice  Smiley
ThePlaytestingCop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 07:59:25 PM »

I wish it was easier to make open source games. I have a project I work on in the background from time to time - it's a game I made for fun, but I've always wanted to open source it. My main road blocks are two third party assets that would take me forever to write myself that I can't release with it. Once you get to a certain sized game, it's pretty hard to not have at least a few third party assets, but it's a big road block to going open source.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic