Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1373426 Posts in 64864 Topics- by 57056 Members - Latest Member: FluxCap

February 27, 2020, 07:03:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPacemaker - Top down adventure game, inspired by Furi and Zelda
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pacemaker - Top down adventure game, inspired by Furi and Zelda  (Read 245 times)
Riosthename
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2020, 10:15:21 AM »

Yo!

I'm Rio, and this is my DevLog for "Pacemaker", A top-down adventure game, with emphasis on tight combat.

Pacemaker takes place in a poisonous world, that drains your health by the second - staying alive requires you to attack enemies to replentish health, and sticking to "safe zones", which won't drain your health.

Think of it like Chibi-Robo's battery mechanic, or the Temple of the Ocean King in Zelda Phantom Hourglass.

Back when I was in college, I made a 2d prototype of the game in a month. It's definitely quite dated by now, and missing a lot of the features that I'd want in the final game, but it's a very loose idea of what I'm looking for.

The following video here is what my old build looked like, for reference. Some things to note:

1. I was a much worse programmer than I am now
2. I don't own the music, or the environment pixel art. (I did, however, mix the music to be dynamic.) The character was animated by myself.

---

So, the first thing I did was getting the character moving around - Simple stuff. I also added the dash (I think I might call it the "dart". Would that be too confusing?) as well, since it's one of the central mechanics to the character. There's even a lil' particle system in place for when he dashes.

I then worked on putting in some placeholder attack animations. They'll be much quicker and snappier in the later builds, but they're there for now.

Finally, I added a bit more polish to the dart - I wanted to make a cool afterimage effect. I did this by making a particle system that spawns a mesh when the player darts, as so:

... And, with a bit of tweaking the shaders, and changing the color over time, I ended up with this:

---

I'll be posting regular updates when I can, so stay tuned! If you have any questions do let me know! Advice is also appreciated, since I'm still new at this whole "making a game" thing.

Stay frosty, y'all
Riosthename
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 10:36:10 AM »

Added some ranged options today, along with some spacial UI! Holding the button'll aim you in the direction your mouse is pointed, and from there, you can fire.

I'm thinking of adding some evasive maneuvers with the gun, which could double as an attack. I'd probably need to get enemies working, first, however.

Speaking of enemies, I think that's what I'll work on next. Making a lil' training dummy to test attacks on.

Stay frosty, y'all
Riosthename
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 08:28:34 AM »

Hey y'all, Rio here. It's been a little while since the last update - here's the reason why:

I'm attempting to model, rig, and animate the main character, with little modelling experience. Luckily, I have some good 3d modelers as friends to give me pointers.

This has really taken up a lot of my time, but hopefully once the model is finished, rigged and textured, I can implement it into Unity, and start replacing our square with this guy. Plus, I want to get started on making cloth physics for our character.

The character (lets call him "Tom" from now on, for my sake) will have his cloak (poncho?) on the entire game, but I've given him gears on his waist. His legs are being held up electromagnetically, too!

Also, I'm not certain how to go about the shadowy void that's constantly under his cloak. You'll never see Tom's face - But I definitely want to have it look like there could be something in there (without there actually BEING anything in the noggin). The white eyes will definitely be textures. It's something I'll have to discuss with my friends, and figure out as I go.

I'll keep you all posted as I work on the model. I would really like to leave blender, and go back to the familiarity of Unity.

Stay frosty, y'all
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic