Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:10:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVictory Design - Strategy game about deciding the equipment of the armed forces
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Victory Design - Strategy game about deciding the equipment of the armed forces  (Read 2158 times)
FrancM
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2020, 11:34:41 AM »

Any feedback is appreciated  Smiley

DESCRIPTION

Decide the designs of the equipment of the armed forces in a time of turmoil and impending conflict. Adapt and fix the dire situation the army was left after the civil war. Push your own military doctrine to fit into the nation's capacities or risk defeat by the military staff blind demands.

SETUP

Following a long and disastrous civil war the nation's armed forces have been left in a complete mess with poor organization and serious flaws. Its fragility is an open door for the ever increasing threat beyond the borders. Due to your loyalty and vital strategic help during the civil war you have now been assigned as the Minister of Armed Forces. Your task is to revitalize the armed forces and bring them up to standard. It may be a time of peace and rebuilding but be on the lookout for the next big conflict.

MECHANICS

The armed forces of the nation are evaluated in 2 categories, Industry and Capacities. Additionally, Military Doctrine changes the emphasis of each Capacity that the Military Staff will use.

Industry

Industry is split in 3 categories: Engineering Capacity; Resource Capacity and Replenishment(Reliability). All these are important to ensure the armed forces has enough quantities of equipment to wage war, they are present in all designs and must be taken into consideration at all times.

Capacities

Capacities measures the ability of the armed forces to perform certain tasks. They are split in Anti-Infantry, Anti-Armor, Breakthrough, Exploitation, Morale and Efficiency.

• Anti-Infantry - The ability of the armed forces to face infantry, be it on defense or offense. Designs that contribute to this are Rifle, Artillery, certain tanks, etc
  • Anti-Armor - The ability of the armed forces to face armored vehicles, be it on defense or offense. Designs that contribute to this are Anti-tank Rifle, Tank Destroyer, certain tanks, etc
  • Breakthrough - The ability of the armed forces to push through enemy defenses. Designs that contribute to this are Mortar, SMG, certain tanks, etc
  • Exploitation - The ability of the armed forces to take advantage of a breakthrough. Designs that contribute to this are utility vehicles, Armored Car, certain tanks, etc
  • Morale - The ability of the armed forces to stay organized and motivated. All designs contribute to this
  • Efficiency - The ability of the armed forces to perform tasks in the more efficient way possible. Designs that contribute to this are Engineer, Radio, Truck, etc

Doctrine

Doctrine changes the emphasis of each Capacity in the Armed Forces. This allows the Armed Forces to shape their combat style to focus on the good capacities of the equipment and minimize the impact of the bad capacities. The player doesn't have absolute control over the Doctrine, the Military Staff will produce their own Doctrine at the start of the game. However the player is allowed to make a single change to it every 6 months to try and better shape it into the capacities he desires.

TECHNOLOGICAL CONTEXT

The game starts in 1920 and portrays a military and technological reality close to the Interwar period (as is evidenced by the types of tanks available) while also including elements from the Second World War such as Tank Destroyers and combat Halftracks.

MOTIVATION

I'm a fan of Hearts of Iron game series which is a grand strategy game set in WW2 and in their latest installment they have added elements of designing and developing the designs for the armed forces to fit your desire and necessities. However I have found that their implementation of these elements was rather underwhelming, with a very clear "meta" to follow and meaningless options. Naturally their game is much deeper than Design decisions as such I felt this theme could be further expanded.

TECHNICAL

The game is being developed in Unity. Despite perhaps not being ideal for a UI-heavy game I have found Unity's UI system to be extremely flexible and easy to use after some practice. Pixel manipulation was and will be a necessity and I already have some experience in doing it in Unity which seems to be up for the task.

SCREENS

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:12:05 AM by FrancM » Logged

FrancM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 06:26:23 PM »

DEVLOG 1 - Doctrine

New Features

There is now an indication of the redesigns required for the current month(red) and the ones scheduled for next month(green). This idea came to me right after writing the initial post for this devlog and I found it to really help with planning of the problems to tackle.

I changed the Doctrine icons to be more readable and easy to interpret, I liked the "pyramid" style they had but they were clearly hard to read. I also removed doctrine from Industry, this was something that I was still considering but I have found that having Doctrine influence both Industry and Capacity would create confusion in the Final Calculation of the Armed Forces. Speaking of Final Calculation, it is now fully working and everything is calculated together. I'm quite happy with the values I'm obtaining from test runs just from the initial situation that is generated to the player and picking random designs. From the image you can also see the Bulletin in action showing a message to the player indicating that the Military Staff has setup the Initial Doctrine as well as when the player will be allowed to change it. This Bulletin now also has a small animation that makes messages quickly show up from the top, just a nice touch I have found.

The Doctrine changes are also fully working, every 6 months (starting in June of 1920) the player is allowed to make a change to the Doctrine, that is, increase the emphasis of one capacity by 1 and decreasing other by 1. As such the Doctrine must always be balanced, there is 1 negative for each 1 positive. The player wont have many chances to perform these Doctrine changes, as such these are very important to consider and plan carefully.

The Bulletin will now also give the player an accurate report of the armed forces every 4 months. This indicates the Industry Coverage, the Capacity Coverage, the Capacity Coverage with Doctrine and the Total. This should help the player to more easily identify the bottleneck between Industry and Capacities as well as verifying if the current Doctrine is improving or worsening the Capacities.

Minor Things

The starting data was changed to 1920, this has no real impact besides making more sense technology wise. Initially I set the starting year to 1915 and planned to let the game run into the 1920s however overtime I came to the conclusion that that would be too many turns and essentially negate most of the first turns decisions.

Thoughts

I'm quite happy with the progress on the Doctrine implementation, it has been on my list of things to do for quite a while and I've been avoiding it to do other less overwhelming tasks.

I have been considering ditching the Design Report presented under the Design Proposal, from my experience I rarely look at it in my test runs, its purpose is to more finely indicate the quality of the design, however all that information is mostly meaningless, there is nothing the player can do to improve it nor can the player use that information for anything. Internally I think I will still keep the variation of values for the estimates as this creates some interesting fluctuations. I will certainly need to think more about this.

I also have some other ideas over the table like the possibility of doing an early redesign every X months. I have conflicting opinions on this, in certain situations I can see the importance and necessity to do it, while at the same time I want the decisions to carry a lot of weight so I don't want the player to have an easy escape for his poor planning. Perhaps I will keep it to the side as a possible feature if later on I find the game to be too hard.

For the next task I will start tackling the actual war start and looking into the Final Armed Forces value that will shape how the war progresses. This is the main part of the balancing of the game and will be an interesting task that will probably span multiple Devlogs due to its complexity and likely frustration.

Extra

The textual description of the designs by their characteristics quality has proven to me to be quite a powerful tool to let the imagination run on how each design looks like. However an image is always more powerful than words and ever since I started prototyping and developing this game I always wanted to have some sort of visual representation of what designs look like. After trying many options to approach this I have finally found a system I think has a good balance between work required and value it produces.

It works by having, for each design, groups of possible parts and randomly combining them together. Very simple and, potentially, effective. The only rule to take into consideration is that the connection between parts must be fairly similar. In this example for Rifle I have 4 possible stocks, 5 trigger regions and 4 gun ends resulting in 4*4*5=80 possible combinations. The results are rather interesting for quite a simple system and it's something that doesn't require much focus to work on, perfect to do on the side or when getting stuck. The question is where will these images be displayed, space is somewhat tight already, however if I do decide to remove the Design Report that will surely make things easier.

FrancM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 01:24:23 PM »

DEVLOG 2 - Sprites and Bits

New Features

Design Report has been compacted to fit the Design Sprite as well. As mentioned in the previous devlog, I will be keeping Design Report for the time being.

Design Requests now dont give the player 2 free focus points, meaning the player now must always make some concessions if he wants to get bonuses. This is not definitive but from my testing this makes the game much more balanced, it's definitely a key mechanic to balance the difficulty of the game.

The Industry now has a second value called Effective Industry. Effective Industry gives more weight to Industrial values the farther away they are from 100%. This makes the player worry more about the balance of the Industrial Characteristics instead of looking at the net Industrial value of a design simply by adding the 3 characteristics together.

Sprite generation for Machine Gun, Mortar and Anti-tank Rifle have also been added.

I added a fairly basic Main Menu as well as a SFX and Music system. This includes a Main Menu specific soundtrack and a few soundtracks for the game. All soundtracks and sound effects are either completely free to distribute or have an attribution license which will be included with the game.

Under the Hood

Saving game progress and continuing is fully implemented. Currently the game supports a single save file at a time and the game is auto saved when the player exits back to the main menu. The game data is saved with a simple binary serialization and the design models are saved as png files.

The Initial Situation Generation and the Turn Passing have both been greatly optimized. Both were very fast to begin with but this should now ensure the game will run perfectly in just about any system. Most of the optimizations come from efficient pre calculations and removing some unnecessary operations that emerged with the sprite generation for designs.

Thoughts

Last devlog I planned to start setting up the actual war progress and balancing, however since the war is the last part of the game having to replay the whole game just to test a new setup would get tiring very fast. So I took a step back and instead worked on the Save and Load system, under the hood polishing and some visual improvements in the down time. With that in place, I am now ready to start working in balancing the war situation.

I also mentioned the possibility of allowing early redesigns every x turns as a way to reduce the difficulty, however the more I thought about it the more I think it moves away from the premise of the game that the player controls the decisions he makes and not when he can make them. I will still keep it on the table but I think the focus points on Request is a much better balancing tool than this.

Extra

I went ahead and made the game available at itch.io, given the recent polish I put into the game I decided it is time I made it available even if in early access. Note that the game is not complete, like it's stated in the itch.io page, you can play around with strategies and approaches to the initial situations the game throws at you however the game will not yet put them to the test. As a way to gauge your performance you can take a look at the capacities you achieved after 2 in-game years as this is around the time the war will begin.

https://francm.itch.io/victory-design

nova++
Level 4

Real life space alien (not fake)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 11:33:15 PM »

Ooh boy... I have a bit of a fascination with the wild and crazy world of historical military procurement and the dead ends and disasters often resulting from it, so this looks very much like the sort of thing I could get slightly too into. And possibly make a few deliberately terrible and slightly treasonous decisions, just to see how it goes.  Shrug

I'm curious what sort of tricks the game might pull on you from time to time. Like, suppliers falsifying results or unexpected faults in weapons (I can think of many historical precedents there), various political occurrences getting in your way, etc. There's a lot of directions to go here.

FrancM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 04:00:17 AM »

Ooh boy... I have a bit of a fascination with the wild and crazy world of historical military procurement and the dead ends and disasters often resulting from it, so this looks very much like the sort of thing I could get slightly too into. And possibly make a few deliberately terrible and slightly treasonous decisions, just to see how it goes.  Shrug

I'm curious what sort of tricks the game might pull on you from time to time. Like, suppliers falsifying results or unexpected faults in weapons (I can think of many historical precedents there), various political occurrences getting in your way, etc. There's a lot of directions to go here.

Hello NovaSilisko, that's exactly the fascination that lead me to work on this game. The importance of the quality of military equipment for war and the blind urge for providers to just get the winning contract sets up a pretty interesting relation.

The designs in the game at the moment don't really falsify designs however the Proposal that they sent following the player Request is an estimate of the qualities of the design, for example a "HIGH" characteristic can be just a +0 or up to +10 which is the maximum. I think could be interesting to have those hidden faults that get revealed later, and perhaps even being tied to the Designer that made it. (Right now the game generates 5 or 6 designers) So the player would have to keep in mind which Designers have an history of falsifying their data.

Interesting stuff, thank you.

By the way the game has a free demo over at itch.io already https://francm.itch.io/victory-design if you wish to try it.

nova++
Level 4

Real life space alien (not fake)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 08:56:46 AM »

By the way the game has a free demo over at itch.io already https://francm.itch.io/victory-design if you wish to try it.

Oh! I looked earlier and didn't see the free version. I'll have to give it a try soon.

FrancM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 09:21:05 AM »

Oh! I looked earlier and didn't see the free version. I'll have to give it a try soon.

Yeah, I forgot to set it as a demo in the settings Facepalm

Thanks for checking it!

Hopebringers
Level 0

Hopebringers delevopment team

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 05:54:01 AM »

Hey! I've read that you plan on the game starting on June 1930, but haven´t read the end year. What year do you plan on ending it, and how long do you plan the game to be? Looks very interesting, keep up the hard work!

Hoprbringers, coming to Steam mid May 2020. Follow us on twitter at https://twitter.com/HopebringersRPG
FrancM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 08:04:32 AM »

Hey! I've read that you plan on the game starting on June 1930, but haven´t read the end year. What year do you plan on ending it, and how long do you plan the game to be? Looks very interesting, keep up the hard work!

Hello. The game actually begins in January 1920, in June however(and every 6 months) the player will be allowed to change the Military Doctrine followed by the Military Staff, which has a very large impact on how well the Military Capacities are put to use.

As for end date there is none, something(that I wont spoil) will happen roughly 2 years into the game which will determine what happens next, and how well prepared the player has made the armed forces will determine if the game is "won" or "lost", at which point the ends.

As for game time it depends a bit, I would say a careful playthrough can reach an hour but if playing for first time it may take even more. Every playthrough is different too as the game generates different starting situations as well as different starting doctrines which require different approaches.

By the way there is a demo available if you wish to try it: https://francm.itch.io/victory-design Although I should warn that at this point the demo is rather dated.

Thank you for the kind words.

FrancM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 09:13:04 AM »

DEVLOG 3 - Final Challenge and Polishing

New Features

Tooltips were added to most things. This should help new players get into the game easier and better understand its mechanics.

Design Requests and Doctrine Changes now have instructions on how they work, again should help new players more.

Month passing is now just a button press. Much simpler than the original which was a timer.

More context and setting messages were added including this New Game message

Model generators were added for Anti-Tank Cannon, Artillery, Tankette and Cavalry Tank, the above is a sample of each

Under the Hood

Along with the visual polishing and more player friendly information the majority of the work was done under the hood. Completing the last challenge for the player and balancing, testing and tweaking just about everything.

Armed Forces reports are now presented every 3 months instead of 4, this should help the player better keep track of how well he is doing as time passes.

The "lock" between Breakthrough and Exploitation has been removed. Previously the value of each was always equal to the minimum value of both, that is, each can only be as good as the other. In terms of realism this made a fair bit of sense, it's only possible to take advantage of good Exploitation if we first are able to breakthrough the enemy defenses. However from my testing this almost always lead me to not want to put too many design focuses into these capacities as they felt unreliable and a risky investment. I tried to find a way to reward the player for investing in these to better justify dealing with the problem of their "lock" but ended up not finding any good solution. So for the time being and the foreseeable future Breakthrough and Exploitation will be independent from eachother.

Models now have consistent facing direction. Previously some designs like mortars faced the left while the other guns faced the right, now they all face the right. To fix this I made a simple Python script that uses Pillow to mass mirror all the model parts I needed.

Thoughts

I'm rather happy I managed to do what I set myself to do last devlog and some more. The Final Challenge is complete and feels well balanced and a lot of polishing was complete. I purposefully wont talk about the final challenge in devlogs as I dont want to spoil it for the game release.

The feedback from the demo was very useful, people seem to like the art style, the idea/gameplay and the sound design but raised the problem of the game having very little guiding on how it works. I knew this but it was really helpful to know just how different things were interpreted when the game just throws the player into his "job". Hopefully the game is now much more easy to understand and makes players continue to try things.

As for the next task it's going to continue to be a mix of polishing, making model parts for the generator and balancing. I can see at least another devlog before the release but not entirely sure how much there will be to show. I still have victory/defeat screens to complete but not sure I will show them here. And finally I still want to find a way to better present to the player the Industry, Capacities, and their Effective parts besides just a tooltip.

FrancM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 07:17:26 AM »

Victory Design is finally available over at itch.io for Windows, Linux and Mac!

Decide the designs of the equipment of the armed forces in a time of turmoil and impending conflict. Adapt and fix the dire situation the army was left after the civil war. Push your own military doctrine to fit into the nation's capacities or risk defeat by the military staff blind demands.

Good luck!

https://francm.itch.io/victory-design

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic