Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:31:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPlatformowka - retro platformer (HTML5 - web based)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Platformowka - retro platformer (HTML5 - web based)  (Read 810 times)
jacek
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:31:28 AM »

Hi all! I made a platformer in HTML5 that works in a web browser - both desktop (with keyboard) and mobile (with touch).
The game has 4 levels, difficulty gradually increases with later levels, it takes me around 45 minutes to beat them all.

Here is the link for the game: platformowka.pl

Mechanics is pretty standard: you jump, climb ladders, travel on moving platforms, avoid enemies (you can shoot some of them later in the game when you find ammo), spikes and other hazards, explore the map, collect keys to open doors, etc.

This is a hobby project done in free time. I used graphics from an old unfinished game of mine, written in Pascal 20 years ago.
So all code and all graphics is done by me (I used pixijs library for drawing).

As it's my first web game that I consider releasing I would love to get some feedback, most importantly:
- How is the difficulty, is it too easy or too hard?
- I know graphics isn't great, is it off-putting?
- For people playing on mobile - are controls comfortable enough? (the game is designed to be played by both hands and horizontal orientation, it's more difficult on mobile than desktop, I can still beat it without problems on mobile but I spent considerable amount of time playtesting myself so not sure how the learning curve really is for someone approaching it for the first time)
- This question requires playing a substantial portion of the game but if someone has time and gets that far - were there any moments that were frustrating? Did you get stuck anywhere (because you didn't know where to go or it was too hard to pass a certain obstacle)? Did you get bored?

Of course ANY feedback is appreciated, doesn't need to match these points, I would be really delighted to hear that someone played my humble game at least for a short moment and has something to tell about it Smiley

Here is the link for the game: platformowka.pl

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 09:48:55 AM »

One piece of feedback that I have is that the jumps don't seem to arc; instead, they seem to describe a triangle. This can feel a little unnatural and thus awkward, I fear.

For the most part, however, the movement feels pretty responsive, I will say. ^_^

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 11:45:16 AM »

Hello Thaumaturge ,

I played your game.  I recorded my play-through:

MrCobble112
Level 0

Yup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 08:11:55 PM »

I played your game and I really liked it! It's quite addictive. At some points in the game however it can feel kind of hard either because of some traps that lie off screen, or because of the physics which are fine as is but could be improved to be more slippery like Mario or something but that depends on what you're going for. The art style gives me a sort of C64 vibe but in my opinion, some traps in the game aren't always recognizable as such and can sometimes just look like part of the scenery. The controls are fine but it would be cool to have wasd for people like me who like to play with that LOL. I'd like to compliment you on some fantastic level design! The way the jumps and platforms are set up all seem perfect to me! I think your game has a few minor flaws but other then that it's amazing!
werekarg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 08:04:59 AM »

it's got a definite 80's retro vibe and reminds me of playing games on zx spectrum.

a few points i've noticed:
  • the jump is weird, perhaps you can test if a ballistic (natural) trajectory would work better;
  • the collisions seem not to be pixel perfect and this affects a lot of the game-play;
  • perhaps it would be useful to visually indicate where the restart points are;
  • difficulty is overall good for the first level; i would, perhaps, make the enemies move a bit slower. in that screen where the green bug and the robot move together, i was almost about to quit playing;
  • i have collected 5, 10 and R but i have no idea what those are?
  • the red/blue keys open doors, but when you are in the screen with the doors, perhaps raise the doors to indicate they have been unlocked?
  • i'm not sure what the enemies and my avatar are meant to represent and i can't guess what the "backstory" is; in older games, a backstory would be apparent only by graphics alone, but with your game, it's very hard to tell;
  • the color palette could use some improvement. if you manage to find some artistic direction, i'm pretty sure it's going to end up a good game

good job for releasing it!

one of the Many
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic