Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1379088 Posts in 65663 Topics- by 58029 Members - Latest Member: ockpii

July 11, 2020, 04:48:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs|[¬// NASCENT PROPHECY \\¬]|
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: |[¬// NASCENT PROPHECY \\¬]|  (Read 1973 times)
Johnny_M
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2020, 02:53:08 AM »

Excellent atmosphere!
electrolyte
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 02:34:29 PM »

Thanks for the comments  Coffee

Recently the main focus has been around combat, how it works and how the other characters in the world might react. I set out to have melee attacks, and with the bare bones of it working - even a 'wrench' that needed collecting by the player to begin combat - it just hasn't turned out to what I was hoping. The game was trying to be too many things and a top down combat game this isn't.

Returning to the core pillars of what I'm hoping the game will achieve is very much about exploration and puzzle solving. I do want to have some challenge to the players life though, and so I changed focus to something a bit more stealth like which folds nicely into the puzzle element. After a rewrite of chunks of code, there are now autonomous robots that can be interacted with and woken. These have a line of sight, so crouching behind objects starts to become a game-play mechanic. If they spot the player they can attack on sight, they also have close range defence fields which again impact a players health if you get too close.

All in all I feel at the moment this is the best course to take. Removing combat away from the player and instead posing challenges around avoidance and stealth feels more fitting.

The screenshot is from one of the newer rooms with one of the robots taking a pot shot!

That's all for now, thanks for reading.

electrolyte
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2020, 06:44:47 AM »

A brief update on how things are progressing.

I'm starting to edge towards a final sprint. I need to replace the holding voice over with something other than my own voice Wink and sort out some bugs. One aspect of the build that began to really trouble me was the frame-rate.  The game started out as an experiment in Unity's HDRP, over a year ago, and its seen a fair few updates in that time as the HDRP framework made it's way out of beta and into a full release.  As the game has developed along with this render pipeline, I started to see frame rate dip ... in some places hitting 28fps on a desktop PC running a 1070 gfx card.

Troubled with this, I bit the bullet and spent a good amount of time reading up on refining the pipeline and a few weeks ago, one Saturday afternoon that magical performance boost came out of no-where after tweaking some settings under the bonnet and discovering I had two global post processing volumes (although I don't think this really effected it too much) I'm now glad to say the game regularly hit's 70 - 80 fps which is a massive performance gain. Phewieeee!

I also discovered that you can render gizmo's at runtime in the game view - this may have been a feature that's been around for ages, but it's great for debugging.

vdapps
Level 0

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2020, 12:46:20 PM »

Glad to read your update and resolving FPS issue. Btw, that's why I'm not with Unity. I must just have everything under control. Durr...? On the other hand, not having powerful engine at disposal means that game ambitions must be adapted to it, so everything has its pros and cons.

Keep up the good work, looking forward for next updates. Atmosphere you set up with game has great potential. Hand Thumbs Up Left

electrolyte
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2020, 01:28:35 PM »

Thanks for the kind words @vdapps

Forgot this in the last post but wanted to share this quickly. It's a change to the user interface and a lot more streamlining. Moved all the input prompts to a standard location bottom right - taking a very reductive approach ... kinda.

I've also found some old walkies talkies which I'm going to rig up to a mic to start the voice over recording, had a thought that everything will be on two way comms and I think it's fair to say my audio skills a non-existent! Rigging up a real life radio comms will hopefully add to that authentic touch. Will see  Coffee

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic