Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:17:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs|[¬// NASCENT PROPHECY \\¬]| - CHAPTER 1 RELEASED
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: |[¬// NASCENT PROPHECY \\¬]| - CHAPTER 1 RELEASED  (Read 6726 times)
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2020, 09:20:17 AM »

Thank you all for the comments and kind words, much appreciated.

I'll update you here when the build is uploaded for playing  Toast Right

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2020, 09:35:29 AM »

Hi all,

Just to say, Chapter 1 is uploaded and can be downloaded over on itch.io.
See what you think, all feedback welcomed. 

https://electrolyte.itch.io/nascent-prophecy

Again, thank you all for the support Toast Right

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 09:41:57 AM »

Nice! I'll check it this evening or over the week-end and let you know.

buto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2020, 01:04:55 PM »

Very cool that you released chapter 1! Smiley Looking forward to give it a try. Did you consider posting some screenshots to Screenshot Saturday - here on TIG or somewhere else? Not sure how many people are looking at those, but your visuals would surely catch some eyes...
 Toast Right

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2020, 02:06:36 AM »

Thanks @buto.

@vdapps thanks for the feedback over on the itch forum. Your comment about solo Dev and voiceover made me smile. The VO is just my terrible voice using a cheap mic plugged into the PC  Wink

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2020, 06:26:14 AM »

You're welcome. Smiley Voice acting was okay-ish, very far from "being terrible"!

But I can imagine that for idea of finding voice-logs here and there, which I proposed, there should be more actors. But this atmosphere was asking for it. First games which came on my mind when playing Nascent Prophecy were System Shock 2 and SOMA, even if those were first-person and Nascent is isometric.

buto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2020, 01:40:10 PM »

Finally played it and really enjoyed it. Great soundscapes and graphics. I really enjoyed the different dioramas. I think the dioramas are a great idea. They allow to focus on some unique aspects of each screen. Together with the sound scapes this gives a very nice sense of place.
I played with my gamepad - worked perfectly fine. Unfortunately I had to quit early, but will definitely come back.

Menus, crafting etc looked very polished. Very cool lighting and depth of field. Great atmosphere overall. I also liked the voice overs.

Some things in the early story-telling were probably a little surprising. In the first seconds I was a little bit confused who was actually talking, but this resolved quickly. And at first I was really wondering why I would have to dig in that one situation - wasn't the first thing that came to my mind Smiley

Was wondering if some small technical riddles in form of some kind of minigame would allow for spending more time in some dioramas. Maybe I just have to play a bit more.

Looking forward to it!

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2020, 07:25:01 AM »

Thanks @Buto for the comments and words of encouragement.

Regarding the story and - something @vdapps brought up, were some sort of journals to read / listen to. In truth I did have this as a feature but removed it in the last hour before release as I hadn't written them completely Wink

I'm going to try and get my head down over this new year break. I'll push out a little update that has the journals back in place. There will only be four in total but that feels like a good pace in terms of the overall size of Chapter 1.

So far it's had just over 200 downloads on itch in the last 10 days  Coffee

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2020, 09:31:33 AM »

Hmm, regarding itch.io and downloads, I don't think it's good to take it as reference. Itch.io is flooded and it's hard to get attention there for your game. I think 200 downloads is not bad, given it's from itch.

When I placed Universe Quiz for free on itch.io, 4 years ago, I had like 3 downloads or so, so I just withdrawn it. On Windows Store I'm on 20,000 downloads total with the same game and still counting. Even paid versions (full version add-on on Windows Store or Steam version) are doing much better than itch.io (even if it's far from being financially relevant to me).

In short, I believe that paid Steam version of almost any a bit solid looking game (if priced right) will have more purchases, than free version itch.io version downloads. Maybe someone can correct me, if I'm wrong, but itch.io looks to me as terrible platform from this POV. However, it's good to keep your devlog there, have some space for your game, or provide early versions demo and have some feedback from players.

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2021, 06:37:48 AM »

Yeah totally, I wasn't looking for big downloads as this was more a taster. Itch.io is very busy with new releases. I remember releasing my first game on Steam and seeing this crazy amount of traffic - but I'm not sure it's like that anymore. More time needs to be handed over to marketing and visibility it would seem.

I wrote some crew entries and it descended into reworking and designing the entire inventory interface! Typical scope creep. I've always had this loose idea about the wider crew members of the outpost and it occurred to me that if this introduction of personal journals that could be used to illustrate the fate of the other members. I looked into AI generation a number of months ago - as this also feeds into the overall narrative - and that's what's driving the crews portrait painting generation.

I guess by sorting this out now it allows expansion if this ever goes any further in it's development.
At the very least it's been a nice little dev outlet for a hour a day over the holidays  Wink

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 07:22:37 AM by electrolyte » Logged

05josephsmi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2021, 03:10:58 PM »

Looking really good I'll check the demo out in the morning. Looks like a bit of a creepy game which is right up my alley.

05josephsmi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2021, 04:15:04 AM »

So I gave it a try this morning, I liked the atmosphere a lot and it seems like it would be something I'll buy once it's done.

I did notice a couple of issues which I hope you don't mind me commenting on.

I found it a bit confusing for a moment that the stamina bar is red and the health bar is white. It seems like heath bars are normally red so this threw me off for a moment.

I also encountered a bug just before getting the first fuse where I couldn't turn the player character certain directions anymore. I'm not 100 percent what caused it but I think it may have been opening the inventory and then pressing escape.

Looking great though good job man.

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2021, 08:41:13 AM »

Thanks for playing it, and glad you enjoyed it. Totally up for feedback!

Yeah, I'm not surprised that pressing ESC with the inventory open may have caused some issues. I'll be making it so the game menu can't be opened when the inventory is open. I know that sounds a little weird but as an edge case it's a minefield to sort at this time  Wink

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2021, 07:21:36 AM »

First patch has been made live.

https://electrolyte.itch.io/nascent-prophecy

If you're using the Itch.io desktop app it will update your build, if you've downloaded the game as a zip you will need to redownload the file to update to this new version.

Some highlights from this 0.2 release are:

- Updated UI SFX
- Updated inventory UI and layout
- Removed long descriptions from items in favour of titles
- Added new section to hold the map
- Added new Crew details
- Added new Journal collections through out the chapter
- Added security turrets in the catacombs
- Fixed some bugs
- Improved performance in certain rooms

As always, do let me know if you have any feedback!
Thanks for playing

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2021, 09:29:37 AM »

What I like about your game is that nice xcom terror from the depth vibe to it but a more mature level. Gj

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2021, 03:10:10 PM »

Nice to see you continue with project. It has potential! Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2021, 08:33:07 AM »

Been running on radio silence for the last month but still chipping away. Managed to block out a lot of chapter 2 now, it's been a much faster process than the first. Chapter 2 is set in the main operations area and also habitation so more creature comforts will be found here.

A recent addition is animating the crew portraits which adds a real nice touch when you see all the faces animated within the crew manifest.

Here's some shots:

Lounge area situated by the main lift. The lift being a strong focal point for chapter 2.

An animated crew portrait!

Block out of canteen area ... and an actual crew member to talk to - at last Smiley

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2021, 10:03:12 AM »

Nice work! That crew member portrait is especially impressive. How did you do it? I can't tell from the GIF, could be a nice detailed character from the Asset Store, or a real human recorded and postprocessed

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2021, 10:13:10 AM »

Thanks, the base of the portrait is generative and then some painting in photoshop. The animation uses deep fake tech for the movement. Super eerie when you see something that was static come to life!

buto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2021, 11:37:16 AM »

The character animation looks terrific and somewhat unsettling. I'm sure it's a great fit with the atmosphere of your game! If you ever find the time to write a few words about your toolchain behind generative(?!?) character generation and the deep fake animations, that would be super interesting...
Great to hear that chapter 2 is advancing Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic