Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:35:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat do you think about game "Dreams" as a game design tool
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What do you think about game "Dreams" as a game design tool  (Read 1976 times)
Max Rudek
Level 0

Indeep Studios

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2020, 03:03:23 AM »

Hey guys,

Media Molecule released a game "Dreams" few days ago and I wonder what do you think of it as a game design tool.

Can it be used as a proper prototype engine for game designers? Will it change the way people look at making games?

Also don't you think Molecule can use some of the best rated and most played games to create their own?

Just a bunch of questions to think about and discuss.

Here's a YT link to trailer.

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 04:02:45 AM »

Wow, that trailer is annoying. But I follow those people on Twitter, and I'm sure impressed by their tech. And it seems there's already a few creations from beta users available which further underscore the technology's abilities.

Personally, I won't use it ever as I don't own a console.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Max Rudek
Level 0

Indeep Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 05:48:45 AM »

Wow, that trailer is annoying.

Yeah I should've added this gameplay video as well

So I thought it could be quite good tool to create a quick mechanics/gameplay prototype without coding skills required or just have fun with a team of designers and create things together.

Also seems like it could be nice to learn level design as you have tons of content.

Demi Dawnfall
Level 0

One step then another.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »

Just based on the gameplay trailer, this definitely seems useful for prototyping a platformer! Very powerful tool in a very simple kit. Whether it's useful in a professional sense, I think, is the same as other engines, like RPGMaker and Unity:  will a community build around it? I don't know because I don't know its background.

That said, I feel the most important implication is how it will inspire another generation of creators. That is something I'm always interested in; I hope this takes off. Thanks for sharing this!

Make your day the day you'd want it to be.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 04:02:03 PM »

The downside is that you can never really "own" your creations in a game like Dreams. They only exist within the game itself, and are only really accessible to other people who own and play the game "Dreams." You can't bundle up your Dreams creation and sell it.

But that's pretty much it as far as downsides are concerned. In terms of creative potential, Dreams is a freaking juggernaut. You could use this thing to generate all manner of content, from full-on games to machinima. The sky is pretty much the limit.

While I don't think much commercial development will happen with Dreams, I do think it will be a fantastic entry-way for aspiring young designers and developers to learn the basics of game development. I wish Media Molecule the best with this "platform" they've constructed, and I hope they continue to support and promote it into the indefinite future.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 08:29:43 PM »

Isn't this just roblox?

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 10:48:40 AM »

I think it is amazing of what you can create, there is some sort of visual programming like the blueprint of Unreal, I think also some kind of sculpting/modelling editor. It makes me think, maybe one day there will be no need to learn anymore a programming language to make a game with a complex logic and complexity.

Games:

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 02:39:39 AM »

i think it has a lot of potential as a learning and prototyping tool, plus you get to play around with pretty advanced graphics stuff, which is really neat. however:

The downside is that you can never really "own" your creations in a game like Dreams. They only exist within the game itself, and are only really accessible to other people who own and play the game "Dreams." You can't bundle up your Dreams creation and sell it.

this is a pretty huge downside actually. not just because you can't sell your creations, but because you're entirely at the mercy of a proprietary online service which will probably shut down in a few years, especially seeing as it's on console. also your potential audience is limited to people who also own a ps4 as well as dreams. this means that no matter how ambitious your project is, it will be ghettoized within dreams, which kinda seems like a waste.
popcron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 11:00:00 AM »

I dont understand, does this actually let you prototype a mechanic with behaviours that you've been thinking of, or just levels for premade game archetypes? If so, then yeah you could make a game in it, and its proprietary nature tied to a PS4 could be a problem for ownership's sake. However if not, then I think calling this a prototyping tool is a bit of a stretch, it seems like something that lets you make levels for game genres instead for others to play in.

I mean if thats all you want to do, try out a level layout idea for a generic racing game, or a 3D platformer game, then yeah go right ahead. Though if you actually need to prototype say a mechanic, a system, or a game then youd be better off testing out in an engine or with pen and paper.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 09:40:09 AM »

You can implement game logics, there is a basic visual scripting tool. I think the target is for players that have an artistic and creative instict but never had the courage ot the chance to try a game engine or a programming language. At the end you cannot release a game on Steam with it, but maybe is a good step to encourage someone to approch game development.

Games:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic