Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:16:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoHeat [nsfw]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Heat [nsfw]  (Read 4741 times)
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2009, 09:11:41 AM »

Introduction
Heat is a top-down, isometric city builder that throws the player into the role as the classic Orwell/Huxley big brother.

Background
In Heat, the player is in control of the lives of their population, ensuring that the population is kept under strict control so the population does not become insubordinate. Much like Brave New World, the people of your network will naturally want to be free, but you will have to control them with the use of drugs, sex, fear, media, and punishment.

Description
You start out with a small population of 100 people, specially engineered to make a starter population that can produce strong, virulent humans. Your dome consists of several important buildings you will need to research and grow including a breeding facility, education plants, power plants, food resources, and energy factories. There are also living quarters for your people to live in. From the main map, you can go inside of your plants, ensuring that everything is going okay.
When you go inside of a living area, you can see each living quarters, including medicine ratios, happiness factors, and possible causes for rebellions. Through punishment, hardships, rewards, and other various abilities you can make sure you have full control over your population, and that no citizens go beyond your dome. Along with looking at quarters, you can ensure your population is breeding by going into a room camera. By observing your citizens, you can influence promiscuity and breeding through the use of gas.
Along with micro-managing your city, you are also allowed a set of rules dictated to the people. For example, you can dictate to your people that everyone is allowed a gun after a certain age, or everyone can have exactly two children (some will have more and cause side effects.) Other more extreme rules can be rewarded such as the ability to kill others through arena-style games, and people who strive for power given ranks.
(WIP, probably going to trim it down a bit.)

Key Features
Dystopian Control: You are big brother, and you do things like spy on your population while they have sex, when they are on the toilet, and ensure they do not try to escape. You can attempt to control them, but it always seems that some get away.

Micro-Management: Much like the Sim games, you are responsible for maintaining a large population of people. You can usually control them and modify their attitudes, but if you're too harsh or too soft they will rebel and attempt to escape. You also get energy and more building materials based on how well your population is handling itself, so the better you manage your population the better you will do.

Peep Holes: View individual units when you see two patrons going inside of a room. You can change the drug levels in certain rooms to enhance mood, or raise the temperature and attempt to get two individuals to mate. You can also annoy any patrons in a room together, and attempt to prevent irresponsible breeding.

Overlord Powers: The bottom HUD allows you to select various options for your population. This includes bringing in harvested people, increasing food rations, creating more guards, buying stronger drugs, placing exploding collars on flight risk patrons, expanding rooms, planting trees, building roads, etc.

Genre
City simulator, adult micro-manager

Platform
Windows, coded in C++ using SDL and OpenGL

Inspiration
Games: Sim City, Syndicate
Movies: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Matrix, Equilibrium, Logan's Run
Books: Brave New World, 1984, Fahrenheit 451

Concept Art
WIP

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:08:04 AM by Cthulhu32 » Logged

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:09:35 AM »

I love this idea.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 07:50:31 AM »

Sounds awesome, I love dystopias

haroldoop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 06:33:58 PM »

The concept sounds interesting. Let's see how it turns out.  Smiley
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 07:22:48 PM »

So I was taking a look at how Syndicate handled the isometric grid, cause I freaking love the way that game handles. And it looks like they use 64x31 sized tiles for each square, and I'm not sure exactly how they do the depth. But for simplicity reasons I probably won't have any depth. Here's a quickie of how I want the engine to look, its super preliminary but it gives you a little bit of an idea of what the community control part of the game will look like.

The part when you go inside of peoples homes and spy on them/give them drugs will be from a different perspective, and you will feel like a spying pervert but thats the idea.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:29:47 PM by Cthulhu32 » Logged

Alehkhs
TIGSource Editor
Level 0

...why not?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 11:23:55 AM »

I'm always sad that there aren't more 1984-inspired games out there...

This project is doubleplusgood
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 04:57:44 PM »

Forddamn that's a good idea. (sorry) Dig the visuals so far as well.

I kinda wanted to do something where you're in charge of a society, but I couldn't think how.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic