Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:40:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDemoness is a super smash-inspired beat'em up (Playable in browser!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Demoness is a super smash-inspired beat'em up (Playable in browser!)  (Read 461 times)
josephlavoiegamedev
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2020, 04:02:05 PM »

Perform varied aerial and grounded attacks, backstab enemies for extra damage, teleport back and forth using remnants!
I'm developing a smash-inspired beat'em up, set in a dark fantasy world. It's still in the middle of development, so I'm really looking for feedback (and it's also pretty ugly looking at times sorry haha)! <3

NEW : I just added a shop with upgrades!

I'm looking for feedback on the general mechanics feel (what's fun/what would need work), how you feel about the different mobs.

That's really the main thing, but if you feel a certain way about the upgrades you bought in the shop too let me know! (Is something useless, or too strong?)

You can play it here!
https://gamejolt.com/games/demoness/464934
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:17:54 PM by josephlavoiegamedev » Logged
Teearr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 02:08:38 PM »

I stopped playing this game after about 5-10 minutes.

I liked the opening gameplay because it felt more tutorial and "hand holdy" to help me familiarise with this game's basic controls. I was confused initially at the tutorial section about summoning my clone and teleporting to its position and I feel this mechanic could have been communicated better to the player.

I also like how I can choose my game difficulty by falling down the appropriate pit in the game environment which makes this game feel more interactive.

I wanted to know why in the tutorial section that I was punching those diamond shaped holes in the background to progress through the initial tutorial. My engagement would have increased if there was some story explanation (very early on) like "this dimension has been damaged by some demon and our character punches these "holes" in the fabric of time to repair the world".

I stopped playing because I got bored. My suggestion for improvement is to add things for the player to look forward to. I didn't want to spend that much time punching skeletons because I had my fill of that gameplay after killing the first few skeleton enemies.

The shop was also confusing and I ended up buying nothing because I felt my money was precious and I wasn't sure how the descriptions of the shop item affected my gameplay specifically. This could be communicated better or demonstrated through another tutorial where we "try & buy" shop items.

So far this the most entertaining game I've played on this website.

Just to clarify, I'm selfishly providing feedback to help me improve my game design while I wait for people to provide feedback on my game.
Teearr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 02:10:18 PM »

Before I forget, one other issue I had was after "moving right" far enough, the game environment became too dark to see where I was going.

I suggest improving the visibility of this game, especially if the enemies become more difficult and I get killed suddenly then I will automatically blame the game, not my own poor skill.
Teearr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 03:18:51 PM »

I almost forgot to mention that I would like the option to customise my controls.

I don't like WASD very much and would like to move that a bit closer to the centre of the keyboard so I feel more comfortable when playing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic